Trying to hardwire PS3, not going well...

Mini Stiggy

Premium
United States
Grove City, Ohio
I__like_oranges
Hey, I'm trying to hardwire my PS3 to my router. I'm supposed to connect the Ethernet cable from my PS3 to my router right? But when I have the Ethernet cable connected and do the connection test on my PS3, it obtains the IP address but is unable to conect to the Internet. Also when I do this, I can't use the WIFI on my Computer... :indiff:
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure you are plugged into an open "switch" port on the router and not the "WAN" port on the router.

I think what happened here is that you connected the PS3 to the port that says internet. That router port is used with the modem to let yourself get internet. Use one of the four other Ethernet ports for your PS3.

What router do you have? Do you have another computer you can hardwire to test the port?
I tried all the different ports if that's what your saying(sorry, I'm not the smartest person in the world when it comes to this stuff)and come up with the same result every time.

I tried all the different ports if that's what your saying(sorry, I'm not the smartest person in the world when it comes to this stuff)and come up with the same result every time.

What router do you have?

Here's the manual: kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/wpn824_ref_manual.pdf‎

See page 21. Your PS3 should be plugged into ports 1-4. You may or may not have anything plugged into the "Internet" port. That depends on how your connected device is configured.

See page 21. Your PS3 should be plugged into ports 1-4. You may or may not have anything plugged into the "Internet" port. That depends on how your connected device is configured.

K, thanks. I'm gunna get some sleep and then check it out tomarow. Thanks for your help:tup:👍

I had it plugged in to ports 1-4.
Is it normal that when I conect the Ethernet cable to the PS3 and router, that I can't use the wifi on my computer or tablet?

Is it normal that when I conect the Ethernet cable to the PS3 and router, that I can't use the wifi on my computer or tablet?

No, that is not normal. What do you have plugged into the "Internet" port?

No. Unless you have dial-up (in which this case... you shouldn't be even trying) then that shouldn't be happening. I do know that I have minor connection problems with my laptop when having the PS3 logged in to PSN and in an online lobby, but that's because of my internet not being the best.

When I hardwired my PS3, all I had to do was set up the connection on the PS3 (I set it to Auto-obtain the information) and was good to go. I know I have a Netgear router (unsure of the model) and I end up putting the cable in slot 2 or 3 (slot 1 is taken up by the desktop, which has no wifi capabilites).

It usually works fine, although sometimes it refuses to connect when others in my family are on (and using all of the bandwidth available). I really have no idea why yours is giving you a problem, since mine never has (on the issue you mentioned.)

It could be a faulty router.

Do you have a laptop that you can hard wire in to the router to see if that causes the same problem?

It could also be that the PS3 has a static IP address that is already in use elsewhere on the network. I've never really used a PS3 so I'm not familiar with its DHCP/Static IP settings.

It could be a faulty router.

Do you have a laptop that you can hard wire in to the router to see if that causes the same problem?

It could also be that the PS3 has a static IP address that is already in use elsewhere on the network. I've never really used a PS3 so I'm not familiar with its DHCP/Static IP settings.

I do have a laptop, but someone else in the family is using it right now so Ill try that as soon as I can.
Edit: the computer is hard wired and working fine.

Last edited:
Plug in the ps3 and remove the power cable from the router. After 10 seconds plug it back in and see what happens.

I would check whether the PS3 is using a static IP or DHCP.

I was wondering the same thing.

With static IP's, maybe there was a IP conflict with two devices sharing the same IP. If all devices were setup DHCP, a reboot of the router then a reboot of all devices should resolve this issue.

Anyone else picturing something like this or is it just me?

1c9XYhT.jpg

:lol:

Back