Trying to put together my first rig. Mid price - pay once, cry once. Have questions.

• Thread starter Zwuckel
  • 3 comments
Germany
Germany
Hey everyone,

I am trying to put together my first and probably last rig. I read a lot on Reddit and watched a bit of YT. I am not totally sure if I´ll stay with this hobby forever but I don´t like to buy crap. It´s the same with instruments. I treid learning on a crappy one. I won´t have fun and the chances are much higher that I stop.

I played alot GT4 and GT4. Pobably with VR but never tried it before.

Here are my thoughts:

Height: 165cm. That´s 5´4.

Game: GT7 and WRC10 (or a substitute) on PS5.

Rigbase: 8020. I thin about getting a Simlab but I don´t know which one and can´t even really figure out which one. Some write it is easier to have more stuff on the rig like handbrake and shifter, a shelf and whatnot. I want a rigid and sturdy rig thats future proof, I´ve read the Evo can be made even more rigid (But I have no real idea what those aluminium profiles are about). Space is available. No DoF. Too expensive as I have other hobbies to feed as well.

There are other options. But honestly don´t look trustworthy.

It seems I cannot change the height of the wheelbase?

Seat: Simlab offers their own ones for 390 Euro. Then there are specific Gaming ones from Sparco. Can be bought at simlab. I am not sure what would be a comfortable solution with my height. I want to sit in that seat for other gaming and music lsitening as well. Sometimes I have upper back pain. Especially in my VW up!. I believe I´d prefer a GT style Seat position.

Wheel: Well, I could start with a T300. But with an alumminium Rig it seems weird. Other options are Fanatec GT Pro 8nm. They seem to have licensing issues... Then theres Logitech GT Pro. I guess that´s high end. But I´d missing out on good shifters and other wheels. Atm I´m tending towards Fanatec as I am not purchasing right now. It´s 8 vs 11nm...

So atm it is difficult for me to see where diminishing returns start to creep up and what equipment is too low budget to have longterm fun. (Of course thats subjective but I don´t want to sell half of the equipment one year later just because it´s s entry level.)

Thanks for all answers.

I liked sim-lab a lot but my last two orders had issues with the "new" screws and ball bearing t nuts (springs broken or missing, balls falling out once the t nut was inserted into the channels).
They also started to retire products that use standard aluminum profiles with other profiles that have fewer channels, are angled (requiring sim-lab specific parts if you want to mount thir party stuff) and are not as dense as the older ones (it's probably still stable enough for all sim racing/flying related duties).

Latest Posts

Back