Tsukuba 9 Hours attempt Final Update

• Thread starter iainn
  • 6 comments

iainn

Premium
United Kingdom
Scotland
yamazumi1966
As the 2.08 update has hit, it's time to have another go at an endurance race.

Rather than re-run the Nurburgring or Grand Valley, I have decided to tackle the 9 hours of Tsukuba for the first time. I've been putting this off due to the length.

After some research and and a look at an RE Amemiya I've ended up using the Honda NSX-R Prototype LM Road Car

It didn't need much work, just an oil change and the full custom tranny, I've pulled the top speed back to about 140 something (mph) and increased the aero a little bit.

I'm using Racing Hards at the moment and it's probably too quick really, with massive acceleration and better brakes than the AI.

The grid is the first one with the usual suspects,

Mine’s BNR34 Skyline GT-R V.spec N1 base ‘00
CT230R '08
RE Amemiya FD3S RX-7
Amuse S2000 GT1 ‘04
HPA Motorsports Stage II R32
High End Performance G37
Me in NSX-R Prototype LM
Lexus IS F Racing Concept ‘08
Amuse/Opera Performance Gran Turismo 350Z RS
Mine’s BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 base ‘06
HPA Motorsports FT565 twin turbo Audi TT
Amuse Nismo 380RS Super Leggera

At the start I get to the front within 5 laps and am 7 seconds ahead at lap 15. Lap times are around the 60 seconds mark pretty consistently.

Lap 28 and as I'm about to lap the first back marker he bumps me off onto the grass and I lose about 7 seconds of my 10 second lead.

Lap 35 tyres are at about 75-80% and there's definitely more sliding around than before. Lead is about 4 seconds, but I can still manage a 59-60 second lap.

Lap 50 pit in and suspend for some food. Resumed and put 20 litres in the tank and some new RHs (old ones down to about 60%). I come out 6 secs ahead.

Lap 66 47 secs ahead now and I've lapped everyone up to 4th. The Mines BNR34 in 2nd hasn't stopped yet.

Lap 73 I caught the BNR34 just as he pitted. Am going to try for a little more than 50 laps in this stint and try to conserve the tyres a bit.

Lap 86 The 2nd place car is now a lap down. The HPA TT and the BNR34 unlap themselves.

Lap 103 Pit in for new Racing Hards and 50 litres of fuel from the invisible pit crew. Come out around 30 secs ahead.

Lap 116 Lead is up to 1 lap again

Lap 136 My lead is being cut down from a high of 1 lap and 20 secs to 1 lap and 6 secs.

Lap 156 Managing to keep the lead to around 1 lap and 6 secs. Pit in and suspended.

Will resume tomorrow evening. Actually liking it so far despite the monotonous track, the laps go by quickly and you can always draft behind a back marker for a change.

Some rough calculations on the times so far (60 second laps with pit in and out ones taking 80 seconds) and I settle on a strategy of 48 lap stints.

Resumed at the pit entry, new RH tyres and 50 litres of fuel. Exit and a lap or so later find out I'm 23 seconds ahead of the S2000 GT1.

Lap 173 I chase down the S2000 and pass him just as he pits to go 1 lap up.

Lap 174 He must have spent nearly 2 minutes in the pits as I'm now 1 lap and 50 secs ahead.

Lap 205 - 3 hours 28 minutes in. Pit in for the usual RHs and 50 litres. Come out about 20 secs ahead.

Lap 229 The S2000 GT1 pits again from 28 secs behind. I pass him again to restore 1 lap lead. That means he's on 56 lap stints.

Lap 251 Due to pit again but I come in to the pit entry wrong and end up with a drive through!

Lap 252 pit in and suspend again

Lap 253 resume and after usual fuel and tyres I exit 14 seconds up.

Lap 269 About 38 seconds ahead now, seems the S2000 drive doesn't like the traffic or his tyres are gong off. I reckon he's due in at lap 280 something. I'm still being pretty consistent with 58-59 second laps.

Lap 286 Second place S2000 pits. I've been tailgating him for a few laps to see when he was going to pit.

Lap 290 Am 1 lap and 50 secs up

Lap 300 I pit again. Come out 41 secs up.

Lap 344 S2000 pits again and I pass to go 2 laps up

Lap 348 Pit in again. 5 hours 54 min into the race now. Come out 1 lap 20 secs up

Lap 396 Pit in and suspend. Lead is 1 lap 30 secs.

I resume and am 52 secs ahead after my pit stop.

Lap 400 S2000 pits again. I catch him just as he exits and go 2 laps up.

Lap 444 Pit in again. Nothing much happening now apart from the regular traffic. Usually the Z cars and the G37 which are terribly slow out of the corners and easily passed.

Lap 459 7 hours 45 min gone and S2000 pits. We'll both have to pit again I'm sure which surely means an easy win.

Lap 490 Pit in again.... too fast though and I'm kicked off the entry road and back onto the track! Round again and pit in next lap.

Lap 494 1 lap 52 secs up with 38 laps to go by my reckoning.

Lap 500 I pass the S2000 on the track to go 2 laps up, I think his tyres are going.

Lap 516 He pits! Spends ages in the pits as I think he's filling up when he only really needs 15 litres or so!

Lap 532 I cross the line a few seconds after the clock runs down to zero for the win. 👍 Been slowing down on the last couple of laps so I could mange that.

All in all an easy win in the end. It is a long race and sometimes I got bored with the track, but mostly I liked it, you can get a good rhythm going and the laps fly by.

This only leaves the 24 hour enduros now.....

Last edited:
Finished! In first place thankfully, and by 2 laps in the end.

Was relatively easy in the end, will post a full report later this evening.

Good job with the race! I'm trying this race right now but I picked the wrong car & wrong tires. So I'm in 2nd place, 1 lap down almost at 100 laps. That amuse s2000 is fast, Especially when your trying to save tires.

That's over 400 laps to go though, so a few tenths wper lap will add up. If you can manage 60 seconds per lap you should do it. Good luck.

iainn
That's over 400 laps to go though, so a few tenths wper lap will add up. If you can manage 60 seconds per lap you should do it. Good luck.

Ok thanks! I'm doing around 58 - 59 second laps after the first pit stop. When I first started the race I drove hard & really used my tires, so I had to slow down to around 1.00 maybe 1 min 1 sec laps & that really let's the amuse s2000 get away. I'm trying to use pit stagey to help me maybe win but right now I'll maybe only take one pit stop less then him. Right now I'm a lap down. But the game hurt me once. I went on the pit road, a little fast, the game took over, went off of the pit road, so I went back on real fast & it reset my car & didn't let me pit, just drive through. That made me angry.

Back