Tsukuba lap time challenge 3rd gear in slow turns

• Thread starter FosayDag
  • 2 comments
Denmark
Denmark
The fastest time this week's lap time challange on Tsukuba takes all 2nd evert 1st gear turns in 3rd. Is this the general technique to keep from losing speed during gear shifts? would it work in real cars?

I also reved to the max rpm before shifting, but after I stayed in a higher gear my lap time was a second faster.

Tsukaba fastest lap time video

Last edited:
The fastest time this week's lap time challange on Tsukuba takes all 2nd evert 1st gear turns in 3rd. Is this the general technique to keep from losing speed during gear shifts? would it work in real cars?

I also reved to the max rpm before shifting, but after I stayed in a higher gear my lap time was a second faster.
It's not a typical way you'd race in most cars in real life but this type of car (and GT in general) it's the fastest way round.

With a FWD with this much power the wheel spin and torque steer is super high so you are better to ride the flatter part of the torque/hp curve where the power is delivered more linearly rather than high torque at the upper part of the Rev range.

The aim is just to keep a car accelerating (and decelerating) in a smooth way.

This is why you will see lots of short shifting in the game for a lot of cars particularly those with high power outputs or sharp torque curves.

One thing to not generally is not all cars make their peak torque and peak power the same so short shifting something like a big slow revving V8 makes sense, but ringing the neck out of a VTec Honda is the way that engine does its thing etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is because the car is turbocharged and even in third gear, you are still traction limited with this car in this game so no need to be in a lower gear. You lose boost when you shift so best to stay on accelerator as much as possible when in correct gear to build up boost as soon as possible and maintain it. In real life, it is probably less dramatic in speed loss as you can probably shift slightly faster, turbo might have less lag and tyres tend to have better traction so you can benefit from lower gears.

Latest Posts

Back