TT on PS3

• Thread starter TTownEP
  • 11 comments
TTownEP
TTownEP
Has anyone tried running TT on their PS3? I did, and it looked terrible on my HDtv, haha. The details need to be blurry for it to look good. But anyway, there is a 1080i video setting in the options menu of TT. I can't get it to work. When I select it, the screen goes blank, predictably, and then the left half of the screen gets a bunch of vertical lines, very bright and colorful, like static. The right half stays black. After 15 seconds or so, it reverts back. Any ideas?

It has options for 480i, 480p, and 1080i. I can get the two 480 resolutions to work, but 480p still looks pretty crappy. I am running it on a 60gb through HDMI to a 42" 1080p LCD.

Just guessing, but the PS2, for which the game is made, doesn't have HDMI, so that may be "invisible" to the game.

PS2's HD is component cables only.

Don't own the game myself.

Just an idea.
But have you tried the PS2 upscaler from the PS3 XMB ?

May not work for TT but has worked ok on a few PS2 games i've tried

But have you tried the PS2 upscaler from the PS3 XMB ?

Yeah try that, upscale it to 1080i using the xmb PS2 upscaler and try again. The few PS2 games ive tried look ok on the PS3 if not a touch better and sharper.

Robin

Just guessing, but the PS2, for which the game is made, doesn't have HDMI, so that may be "invisible" to the game.

PS2's HD is component cables only.

That's what I thought at first too, but it does the 480p just fine, and you would have to have component cables for that as well. Also, it will play other PS2 and PS1 games through HDMI, and it wasn't even a twinkle in anyone's eye at the time. I don't think it is a cabling problem.

As far as the upscaler is concerned, yes, I tried it. It definitely makes it looks better. But I don't have any issues with that. This is the only game I found that has a 1080 option though. Some of them have progressive scan options, like God of War II, but that's just 480p. Maybe I should turn off the upscaler though when I am trying to run the in-game 1080i. I didn't even know the PS2 would output anything in 1080i in the first place, so maybe since most games were only in 480i, that's what the PS3 is trying to upscale from, and it kinda cancels out when it is trying to "upscale" a 1080i signal.

Using PS2 games on the PS3 renders the in game video adjustments useless (unless its things like brightness)... So the 1080i function from within TT will do nothing..

Robin.

It makes a difference when I select 480p though. It's not just a, "Maybe this looks a little better" situation, it is huge. I see what you are saying though, hardware wise, it is still outputting the signal in 1080p. It is just starting with a much "cleaner" resolution.

i purchased the 1080 cable for my ps2 to play TT in 1080 video mode some time ago.
night and day compared 480 or anything else. everything is smoothed out and clear.

i purchased the 1080 cable for my ps2 to play TT in 1080 video mode some time ago.
night and day compared 480 or anything else. everything is smoothed out and clear.

Thanks very much, but the question was about getting 1080i mode to work when playing it on the PS3, which apparently isn't going to happen.

Sadly I just realized that I haven't tried TT on my PS3. I guess I need to check this out for myself.

I played around with it some more last night. Well actually, I played around with GT4, which has the same options. I got it to play in 16:9 480p. I actually went into races, played a few tracks, it looked much better than normal. I went back and put it in 1080i. The menu actually came up this time, upscaling off. It was very distorted and squished, with black bars on the sides, but otherwise fine. I went into a race, and the tv blinked like the input signal had changed (does this all the time between XMB and PS3 games) and then it was totally black. The sound worked, I could hear the car driving but could see nothing. I quit, and the screen blinked again, and the menu returned. So, looks like 1080 is a no-go.

As far as PS2 goes, I got rid of mine, or I would have tried that.

I tried it out last night and I actually think TT on my PS3 actually looks better. WooHoo! It's given me a reason to start the game all over again.

Back