TT Platinum Trophy

England
Essex United Kingdom
Davey BoyEssex
After reading a long winded discussion about SRF and how the Gold Trophy is made a tad too easy maybe for those rookies and casual players from a marketing perspective.

I wondered if a Platinum Trophy could be inserted to the Seasonal TT's but be hidden so that the time was not there for us to see. This would be a good incentive for Hardcore GT fans and also may get casual players to try a bit harder to learn and improve their driving skills, as for what conditions would be right to obtain the platinum trophy and what the reward would be i`ll leave to debate and discussion.

Well im going on twitter in a bit to put this idea over to the top dog, but please tell me what you think?

Aren't the TT leaderboards where the best drivers get recognized? The "incentive for Hardcore GT fans" as you put it?

I don't get this constant obsession with raising the bar on things, making them harder. Let's say you make a platinum trophy that is obtainable for roughly the fastest 5%, so that they can all get their virtual superiority trophy and get their egos stroked. Then the fastest 2% are going to want their Ultra-Platinum trophy, to make sure those silly 5%-ers know their place. And then the top 1% will of course need their own Carbon Fiber trophy, because how dare anyone not realize they're better than the 2%-ers! And on and on it goes. Who gives a 🤬?

Aren't the TT leaderboards where the best drivers get recognized? The "incentive for Hardcore GT fans" as you put it?

I don't get this constant obsession with raising the bar on things, making them harder. Let's say you make a platinum trophy that is obtainable for roughly the fastest 5%, so that they can all get their virtual superiority trophy and get their egos stroked. Then the fastest 2% are going to want their Ultra-Platinum trophy, to make sure those silly 5%-ers know their place. And then the top 1% will of course need their own Carbon Fiber trophy, because how dare anyone not realize they're better than the 2%-ers! And on and on it goes. Who gives a 🤬?

I get you with theres always some that might want more but The Gold Trophys are a bit too easy, ive seen discussions that SRF should and shouldnt be used which the platinum could sort out. There are levels as in boxing but for those that want the top dog position that can be seen on the overall leader board as you pointed out.
The idea is also to try to encourage others to improve, i use the SRF because its there, but if i wanted the Platinum trophy with extra rewards and could only do so by not using the SRF i know i wouldnt use SRF.
The million credits you can win now in the seasonals is all too easy, that i would put as the reward for the platinum leaving the Gold credit score as it was.

Not everyone has the same abilities and/or equipment.
Raising the bar may satisfy you, but bring angst to others.

Motivation for participation varies:
For the rare few its a top slot in the overall standings...
For many, its their FR leader board.

The gold & credits are welcome by all...
...but to some the bottom line is: time.

Kind of pointless when SRF is available in all the seasonal TTs?

I get ya, my point is that the option to not use SRF is also there and say if one chooses to not use it and gets a good time which could be set for a Platinum trophy they get rewarded as well as improve their skills.

Not everyone has the same abilities and/or equipment.
Raising the bar may satisfy you, but bring angst to others.

Motivation for participation varies:
For the rare few its a top slot in the overall standings...
For many, its their FR leader board.

The gold & credits are welcome by all...
...but to some the bottom line is: time.

I use to dream of getting within 3 or 4 seconds of the top dogs but now i`m kinda getting there, but it didnt just happen it took time and patience. The angst you talk about is a make or break thing for those who are put off then that is their prob but for those that use that angst to better their skills then they will be rewarded, which shows they are in the game seriously.

I use to dream of getting within 3 or 4 seconds of the top dogs but now i`m kinda getting there, but it didnt just happen it took time and patience. The angst you talk about is a make or break thing for those who are put off then that is their prob but for those that use that angst to better their skills then they will be rewarded, which shows they are in the game seriously.

Remember, not everyone does GT6 for the same reason you do.
That is all I am trying to point out...

...to some its just a light diversion to pass the time, so they may not deal with angst in the same way you do.
...to others, who have the time to devote to "being serious" it can become obsession.
No criticism intended, If anything I fall into the obsessed category myself.

Expectations of the game will vary from person to person.
So its probably impossible for PD to please everyone.

Last edited:
The time and effort spent to improve already are rewarded, in the form of the leader boards. Why else would people keep going back day after day once they've already won the gold time? There are an awful lot of people who are still playing the events just to try to climb into the top 10 or top 100. The people who are obsessed with climbing the leader boards aren't doing it for the credits or the trophies - they're doing it for the recognition of being among the best of the best.

Besides, there already *IS* a trophy of a sort for improving - it's called GT Academy, and the prize is a real-life racing gig. If that carrot doesn't induce someone to try to improve, no virtual trophy is going to help, in my opinion.

Remember, not everyone does GT6 for the same reason you do.
That is all I am trying to point out...

...to some its just a light diversion to pass the time, so they may not deal with angst in the same way you do.
...to others, who have the time to devote to "being serious" it can become obsession.
No criticism intended, If anything I fall into the obsessed category myself.

Expectations of the game will vary from person to person.
So its probably impossible for PD to please everyone.

If it is a light diversion then whats the prob?? those can still have their gold.

The time and effort spent to improve already are rewarded, in the form of the leader boards. Why else would people keep going back day after day once they've already won the gold time? There are an awful lot of people who are still playing the events just to try to climb into the top 10 or top 100. The people who are obsessed with climbing the leader boards aren't doing it for the credits or the trophies - they're doing it for the recognition of being among the best of the best.

Besides, there already *IS* a trophy of a sort for improving - it's called GT Academy, and the prize is a real-life racing gig. If that carrot doesn't induce someone to try to improve, no virtual trophy is going to help, in my opinion.

Ive looked at the top of leader boards SRF used, This idea i have is kinda to get people to do it the so called real way. Just an idea, blow didnt know id get so much stick, wipes egg off my face*

Ive looked at the top of leader boards SRF used, This idea i have is kinda to get people to do it the so called real way. Just an idea, blow didnt know id get so much stick, wipes egg off my face*

Ah - I didn't realize that SRF was being used by the toppers. I just assumed (bad idea, that) that SRF=Off would result in the faster times if one could truly master the car being used. I generally get faster times without it, but safer clean times with it. Running without can get hairy, but feels more "real".

No egg on your face; just a good, lively conversation you started. That's rarely a bad thing.

If PD were to bring in a Platinum trophy, it wouldn't really affect my gaming experience one way or the other; I'm okay with not golding the Hudson event, because I don't enjoy driving that car on that course, and don't want to put in the hours to gold it. I don't really need PD to tell me I'm no Mario Andretti; I've known that since I was a kid watching him win championships! :D

I would be already happy if I could filter the SRF users out so that I could compare my time to other non SRF drivers.

Yup, and I'd like it if we were allowed some leeway on car setup to match our particular driving styles and likes. I loved the MiTo event because there was quite a bit of leeway in tuning - suspension setups could be fiddled with, brake balance, ballasting and weight... I'll trade a few extra pounds here and there for a better-balanced car overall.

Ah - I didn't realize that SRF was being used by the toppers. I just assumed (bad idea, that) that SRF=Off would result in the faster times if one could truly master the car being used. I generally get faster times without it, but safer clean times with it. Running without can get hairy, but feels more "real".

No egg on your face; just a good, lively conversation you started. That's rarely a bad thing.

If PD were to bring in a Platinum trophy, it wouldn't really affect my gaming experience one way or the other; I'm okay with not golding the Hudson event, because I don't enjoy driving that car on that course, and don't want to put in the hours to gold it. I don't really need PD to tell me I'm no Mario Andretti; I've known that since I was a kid watching him win championships! :D

lol that hudson is horrible, golded it then left. Yeah the trophy wouldnt affect your gaming but it might just get others to improve

Yup, and I'd like it if we were allowed some leeway on car setup to match our particular driving styles and likes. I loved the MiTo event because there was quite a bit of leeway in tuning - suspension setups could be fiddled with, brake balance, ballasting and weight... I'll trade a few extra pounds here and there for a better-balanced car overall.

The MiTo TT opened my eyes what is possible with SRF on - no way to get a competitive time in this TT without it. So restrictions are not welcomed by the majority and PD probably will not do this but a filter would be really nice. So everyone can compare with what he likes.

The MiTo TT opened my eyes what is possible with SRF on - no way to get a competitive time in this TT without it. So restrictions are not welcomed by the majority and PD probably will not do this but a filter would be really nice. So everyone can compare with what he likes.

I dislike having SRF or ASM locked on or locked off. As in a real car, I generally prefer all such "nanny" systems be defeatable, even if I rarely or never actually turn them off. Unfortunately, more and more cars aren't allowing such systems to be turned completely off. Seems PD is following the real world in that. :(

Oh, and on classic and vintage cars, you really should be able to completely disable all of those helper systems. After all, the '66 Ford GT40 did not have TCS, SRF, ASM, or any other nanny systems, so any kind of claims to be a "realistic" simulator are tossed out the window when such systems are not only included for these cars, but mandatory or locked on.

Last edited:
If the leader board is the be all and end all why bother with trophies in the first place? Mention a new Trophy and some are screaming blue murder lol

Cause the trophies are used for prizes. I think the golds are the right difficulty anyway. There is already so much out there for the top tier people.

Used to be, I could rarely get gold on the license or time trial events. Then it got to where I could gold a few here and there, but not many. With GT5: Prologue, it seemed I was able to gold most of the licenses, and when seasonals and time trials showed up in GT5, I don't think there was ever one that I didn't gold.

I'm getting better over the years, or the game's getting easier. Or possibly both. ;)

lol that hudson is horrible, golded it then left. Yeah the trophy wouldnt affect your gaming but it might just get others to improve

could possibly be the worst car in the history of the gt series. yes even the 1880s mercedes from way back. at least it wasnt junk. this hudson is literally a junk car. i guess for the people that need to have every car in the game to be satisfied, they will pay 500000 for it.

Used to be, I could rarely get gold on the license or time trial events. Then it got to where I could gold a few here and there, but not many. With GT5: Prologue, it seemed I was able to gold most of the licenses, and when seasonals and time trials showed up in GT5, I don't think there was ever one that I didn't gold.

I'm getting better over the years, or the game's getting easier. Or possibly both. ;)

Ive golded right from the very first game, but now the seasonal golds are a tad too easy, which wont make some people have to try too hard and by not doing so not improve overall

I see a few problems with this plan

1. Platinum will become the new Gold.
The talk around the forum is now whether or not you have gold. As soon as PD introduces platinum, the whole gold thing becomes irrelevant and gets replaced by whether or not you have platinumed :)
By making the gold times easier, PD reduced the number of frustrated people. By adding platinum, they will increase that number again. People won't be happy with gold, just as they are not happy with silver now.
PD makes many gaming decisions that are not aimed at the casual gamer (if you compare to a true 'game' like S2U for example). I think their choice to adjust the gold rewards to more casual gamers is a good one.

2.Within a day and probably within an hour the time needed for platinum will be on GTP. Making the times 'secret' is kind of useless as everyone will want to know what they're aiming for and the internet will provide this information, as always.

3. One player's 'easy' is another player's 'hard'.
This is kind of the same to @huskeR32 's point above, but in reverse :)
There are many people who have trouble golding these time trials. About half of them have been a challenge for me as well and I wasn't able to gold all of them in stock cars.
Besides that, going by forum posts is not a good method to find the difficulty of a race. The more people who shout that something is 'easy' the less people will come forward and admit they had trouble (even though I am pretty sure most if the 'easy' comments are a bit exaggerated).
Only online times can tell how easy it is to gold the races, as you can count the number of players (accounts) who have done so and count the number of players who haven't. And even that doesn't tell you how much effort was needed to gold the race. In other words: While it might be easier than in GT5 (I agree with that) it might still not be easy for the majority of players.

4. As mentioned before there is a leader board for the people who like a challenge. If getting higher up the boards is not a reward in itself, you can question the dedication of the 'hardcore' gamers.
Yet now you question the dedication of the casual gamers.

Which brings me to 5: Many people on this forum seem to want to dictate how others play their games. Why do 'casual players' need to try harder and (referring to 3) how do you know if they aren't already trying?
I sure know I have to try hard (or tune my car, which I don't prefer) to get gold.
it is not like GT is training people to become doctors and one of them might have to save your life one day. It is a bloody racing game.

Having said that, I do think there are things PD could do to reward people for trying for better times, but things that wouldn't mess that much with the ego's of both the 'hardcore' players and 'casual' players:
They could bring back the PP difference bonus or they could give credit bonuses for every .001/s you are under the gold limit. This way you would have a bit more of an incentive (if the leader board is not enough) and it wouldn't mess with the casual players.
They could (and should in my opinion) keep different leader boards for SRF on and SRF off or some way to filter the results. SRF is just too much of a magic thing to include in leader boards.

I think that the difficulty of golding the TT's with SRF off is about the same as GT5's seasonal TTs. But because SRF is allowed it's artificially making them look too easy relatively.

I understand your idea dave :)

But as you know TT's are all about whats the best time you can get, the best gamers will always use whatever it takes to get the best time, True SRF is a bit too much but then if you ask the hardcore fans some would say having abs is too much..

I just say its a TT an everyone has the option to use whatever aids they like :)

Most of the GT5 seasonal TT's were beatable by 8-10s with no SRF.

The game has already been dumbed to it's lowest common denominator since earlier iterations with SRF on license tests that you can gold 1st try by seconds with a controller. If people aren't capable of getting within 8-10s of the fastest time in a seasonal they don't deserve the gold prize.

Please remove SRF form the seasonals PD.

It's like people think they should get the prize just for buying the game and turning up FFS.

I do believe this is the classic phrase fits here.
"You can please some of the people all the time, all the people some of the time but never all the people all the time."

It wont matter what PD does, some will think it's hard, some will think it's easy, and most will think it's about right.
I do agree something needs to be done with the game to allow the USER to make it easier or harder to their personal taste.
For example I want to be able to turn the AI up in difficulty, but my wife wants them less aggressive. so if PD made the AI hard to make me happy they would force my wife out of the game, if they made the AI easier to make my wife happy I grow board with the game and not play. and in both cases only one of use would play the next game that came out. so one change affected 50% of this theoretical house hold.
So you see PD's delemia, ya? they need to allow user control on difficulty in Offline play that would make a lot of people much happier, and online is a whole different bag of worms.

As for the seasonal's, I don' think there is anything PD can do with them that will satisfy everyone, so they market to the largest group, it's called strategic thinking. If you market to the top 10% what about the other 90%, same? with the bottom 10%. so Market to the middle 80%, that's your target market as a company, the top and bottom will shuffle around a little bit but it's better to have 20% of your customer base in motion than 80%.

For the Seasonal Time Trials I don't think this is needed. There is the World Wide Leader Board and usually a decent Gold time to beat. That's enough.

But for the Licenses and Goodwood...it would be great fun to have to cut another 2 or 3 seconds.

I would at least like a filter on the leader boards so that i can see how other like minded players are going.

I tried extremely hard to get gold with no driving aids on the hudson TT. So many times i was 0.0xx off the time and i was very close to just accepting silver, but i got there and took 250,000th place behind all the SRF users.

So many people come to the forums to say how easy it is to gold the time trials, perhaps without realising how much of an artificial boost SRF actually is.

My concern is that PD might start to raise the bar of the TT to a point where no one can gold the thing without SRF on.
That would be a very sad day.

Back