Tune a Car to Behave like a Different Drivetrain?

United States
Michigan
OriginalCheezIt
Alright, I created this thread with one specific example in mind, so let's start there:

Pontiac Solstice Coupe Concept '02
It is a FR car, and it behaves as such.
If I want it to behave like a MR, do I have to worry about anything other than weight distribution?

You can also discuss other drivetrain "swaps" if you wish. 👍

do I have to worry about anything other than weight distribution?

It's not as simple as f/r distribution. There are aspects that simply cannot be adjusted in the game (or in real life). In a mid-engine car, the heaviest bits are centered in the chassis, both ends are basically empty. This means you have less polar inertia and the car rotates faster and is a bit twitchier.

In a front-engine/rear-drive car, the heavy bits are at the ends of the car (engine in the front, transmission in the back in many cases). This results in a high polar moment of inertia. The car doesn't rotate as fast but is more stable and the overall limit is more approachable for novice drivers.

This remains true despite the fact that both may have a 50/50 weight distribution. Remember, a 10-foot-long stick with 50% of the mass at each end has 50/50 weight distribution, but so does a 10-foot-long stick with 100% of the mass in the center. The first will take much more effort to make it spin about its center point than the second even though both have "identical" 50/50 weight distribution.

It's not as simple as f/r distribution. There are aspects that simply cannot be adjusted in the game (or in real life). In a mid-engine car, the heaviest bits are centered in the chassis, both ends are basically empty. This means you have less polar inertia and the car rotates faster and is a bit twitchier.

In a front-engine/rear-drive car, the heavy bits are at the ends of the car (engine in the front, transmission in the back in many cases). This results in a high polar moment of inertia. The car doesn't rotate as fast but is more stable and the overall limit is more approachable for novice drivers.

This remains true despite the fact that both may have a 50/50 weight distribution. Remember, a 10-foot-long stick with 50% of the mass at each end has 50/50 weight distribution, but so does a 10-foot-long stick with 100% of the mass in the center. The first will take much more effort to make it spin about its center point than the second even though both have "identical" 50/50 weight distribution.

You make a good point (y) Thanks

Back