• Thread starter Liquid
  • 14 comments

Liquid

Fission Mailed
Premium
Slovakia
Bratvegas
GTP_Liquid
This is monstrously difficult. Always was back then and still is now. I've fired up GT1 lately and this is the one cup I just can't compete in.

I've tried the Supra, Skylines, GTO, both FC and FD RX-7s, Lancers and even a Viper RT/10. No matter what I try, I just can't be competitive. My tuned cars are just so slow in the corners where the AI are so quick.

Best car and ideal setup tips (suspension!) would be nice.

Hi,

My humble conclusion about this series is that you need very short gears ratios, and a light weight; because AIs have the chance to dose their gas throttle in the turns whereas you can't, you may need to power slide, and have a giant acceleration capacity to compensate the loss of speed in the bends.
I also think that N.A. engines are best fitted for this, thanks to early available & more linear torque and the fact it's easier not to spin out with it.

I've won this series 6 or 7 times, with fully tuned/soft slicks:
- RT/10
- 96' Corvette
- Cerbera
- Griffith 500
- NSX Type S zero

Never won with 900hp (but much heavier) cars :boggled:

For Autumn Ring II, final gear ratio must be adjusted to shortest possible, 5th or 6th gear must shift at 180 or 190 km/h (118 mp/h). Top speed is useless I think for this track, whereas powering out capacity is needed. For other tracks, max speed of 300 km/h (188 mp/h) is enough. I tune this point finely for each track with the final ratio too.

I also must admit that sometimes there's some AI bashing from my side, and some wall riding... I just can't win if I (try to) drive too clean :guilty:

Here is a file where I recorded my settings for 4 of the 5 cars above, I forgot to save the NSX ones.

One of these days, I'll try to beat this with an FF N.A. car, Prelude or something like this, but I'm not sure it'll be enough... :)

Attachments

• Classeur1.zip
    4 KB · Views: 175
The only truly hard opponent in the Tuned Cup is the NSX. The RX-7 RZ a close second. Drive a car that's stable in the corners and is able to reach 300kmh/185mh in the straights. To prevent your car from bouncing around, soften the dampers first, suspension second.

FF cars won't be enough. to get the best chances at it, you'll have to go for either an Integra Type-R, or an Eclipse but they lack top speed... or actually a Galant VR-4. 760hp of FF goodness (because of a programmation error on it, the Lancer Evo III, Nissan Pulsar GTi-R, and Toyota Celica GT-Four)

A key to any racing is to be as precise as you can whuile being constant in speed. Do'nt try to rush as fast as possible and concentrate con controlling your car, having (as) smooth (as possible) lines through corners and you'll make it.

Hi,

My humble conclusion about this series is that you need very short gears ratios, and a light weight; because AIs have the chance to dose their gas throttle in the turns whereas you can't, you may need to power slide, and have a giant acceleration capacity to compensate the loss of speed in the bends.
I also think that N.A. engines are best fitted for this, thanks to early available & more linear torque and the fact it's easier not to spin out with it.

I've won this series 6 or 7 times, with fully tuned/soft slicks:
- RT/10
- 96' Corvette
- Cerbera
- Griffith 500
- NSX Type S zero

Never won with 900hp (but much heavier) cars :boggled:

For Autumn Ring II, final gear ratio must be adjusted to shortest possible, 5th or 6th gear must shift at 180 or 190 km/h (118 mp/h). Top speed is useless I think for this track, whereas powering out capacity is needed. For other tracks, max speed of 300 km/h (188 mp/h) is enough. I tune this point finely for each track with the final ratio too.

I also must admit that sometimes there's some AI bashing from my side, and some wall riding... I just can't win if I (try to) drive too clean :guilty:

Here is a file where I recorded my settings for 4 of the 5 cars above, I forgot to save the NSX ones.

One of these days, I'll try to beat this with an FF N.A. car, Prelude or something like this, but I'm not sure it'll be enough... :)

Thank you, the setup for the Griffith is superb.

Funnily enough, every other time I had entered this race the opponents were the R33 Skyline, Supra RZ and Civic Si but this one time I raced a Griffith with your setup, I get the opponent list with the NSX, R32 Skyline and Chaser Type V.

Thank you, the setup for the Griffith is superb.

Funnily enough, every other time I had entered this race the opponents were the R33 Skyline, Supra RZ and Civic Si but this one time I raced a Griffith with your setup, I get the opponent list with the NSX, R32 Skyline and Chaser Type V.
You're welcome, glad you liked it, thanks also ;)
By the way, which version of the game do you play? 'Cause my settings are European ones, with Km/h for speed, kg/mm for springs, mm for ride height... Would it be helpful that I make the correlation? (what are the units in the NTSC-U version???)

Yes, I also found there are 2 lists of AI opponents for this series. The one with NSX is damn fast, but Supra RZ one is super vicious! Rams you as soon as it can! :crazy:

Maybe you tested the Viper settings, and found it disappointing; my fault: I forgot to mention that you really need to let the "Normal flywheel", when the torqueful V10 is tuned to maximum. It really, badly, deeply helps not to spin out during re-acceleration phase (I eventually found this by chance one day I was trying to be fast on SSR11 II in All Night II).

Same for an hard tuned NSX I recommend above: I should have written to put "Hard Racing Tires" in the front. The steering is still very precise, but much less aggressive and possibly faulting. I think you don't lose time with this H/S mount since your lines become smoother.

I join again the corrected spreadsheet, including my fav' NSX settings (by the way, I'm sorry to write this as a big fan of the Viper, but a hard tuned NSX is better than a hard tuned RT/10 in most tracks :( :D )

A successful run with a green Vette (if you're ready to lose 29 min of your life! )

Attachments

• GT1 things.xls
    15 KB · Views: 161
Hello, stopped playing GT1 the day GT2 came out and have recently started a new game. Is it me or is it really hard? Anyway i'm using an R33GT-R'95 Vspec for this, all mods up to stage 2 turbo and soft slicks F/R. Sure is heavy but that launch!

Edit: This was a terrible idea. Gonna try the Corvette.

YAiphIA.png

Edit: Finely poised going into the final race. Having trouble with images lol.

Supra RZ 22pts
Corvette'96 GS 22pts (Me)
FDRX7 TypeRZ 20pts
R33GT-R Vspec 20pts

I lost, R33 hit me going into The Chicane Of Doom.

YAiphIA

Last edited:
Hey,
Sorry for the massive bump of this thread, but I think some things had to be clarified!
I mean some of us had doubts about the fact that FF cars could win the tuned cup, and finally:
- @Sough did it brilliantly with an Eclipse (wasn't documented here yet as far as I know)
- I finally won it with a Prelude '91 (but it's far from being clean driving :boggled: )

Also, the Pulsar can do it finally (unofficial FF car) , with less than 400hp.
Thank you very much for your attention.

Edit: the '96 Prelude Type S can also do it.
Edit II: the FTO can also win it.

Last edited:
Hello,

Not sure it's a real prowess 'cause some people here would do it with clean driving I think, but maybe it can be documented: the Tuned Car Cup beaten with a Skyline (R32) GTS25 Type S (2.5 liters, N.A. - 336hp / 982kg fully tuned) .
In terms of Japanese N.A. cars in GT1, I'd say that this Skyline is just behind the fantastic Supra SZ-R (this can also win the Tuned Cup)

Played this cup with a heavily tuned Nismo 400R, thinking it will be extra good, yet even with Stock suspension (found that upgrades turn tarmac into trampoline) the car was prone to bouncing and was quite nervous. Tried the same with TRD Supra and witnessed the same problem. I will try to get into Cerbera or DB7 in hopes they are a bit more stable. On some tracks leaders do a great job at pulling away by 10ths of seconds. If it is alright, I will look up Mouc's posted setups, in hopes that I had a technical mistake rather than a driving mistake.

Welcome here, and good luck for this cup... It's hard, as it's named ;)
Thanks for your interest in my cars settings, but there's no miracle behind. Best chance to win is knowing tracks and related cornering speeds by heart, and staying calm in front of the "pressure" from the A.I. NSX & RX-7, or Supra & R33 Skyline! :D

If you're having trouble with the 400R and the TRD3000GT's suspension and you don't know how to corrct that, use the stock ones on them. Especially the 400R.its default settings rival those of race cars already and it handles great with it. Overall it's still weaker than a tuned R33 GTR because of a lack of power but yeah

Alright, so Cerbera definitely feels muuch muuuuch more stable and reliable. I will not be afraid to say it ia quite forgiving as I can powerslide and full throtle with ease, yet...

Despite bouncy problem eliminated there is still something that bugs me very much

I manage to take 1st position on High Ring, on the second map the two leaders usually go too far for me to catch up, not a problem

But the third map... Clubman. It is surprising that Cerbera manages to qualify six seconds ahead of competition but when the race starts? Boy does AI goes Eurobeat. Please tell me this is a glitch and it is impossible to take pole in this one while being a human.

Autumn Ring is a P1 with a little of practice and what is left is Special Stage, where two leaders also go nyooom very far.

Should I deal with the fact that I cannot win Clubman, Grand Valley and Special Stage tracks, or do I really need at least three wins to win the cup?

The Cerbera can fairly win all races. In this old video, I sometimes use wallriding and dirty driving, but I think (hope!) I could do it more properly today.
The "Semi-Racing" 6-speed gearbox is very nice, for the Cerbera.

For Clubman Stage Route 5 II, yes the Skylines (R32 &/or R33) and the Evo III are damn fast, way faster than the others A.I. RWD cars... Don't know why exactly, but I noticed these two cars do wallride, very often, in the first right-hand corner after the start/finish straight.
Use also the fact that if they're on your left in the tunnel, they slam the wall at the end of it and lose much speed ;)

If you have to powerslide often in this cup, it may slow you down... Maybe you should brake a bit more before corner entries, in order to be at full throttle as soon as possible when you're in the bend :)

Gentlemen and gentlewomen!

With sky reaching confidence I shall announce that this cup, is NOT impossible!

With enough time, dedictaion, effort, and a bloody lot of sweat and nerves, winning is possible, even WITHOUT savesstates and cheats.

Now I guess I can gift myself a tiny medal for being a cool GT player, for all pixelated people who spectated that cup, shall know me as 'The Driver of Opal White Cerbera' ^v^

Thank you all for absolutely amazing advice ♥️

{1} Cerbera 29pts
[2] NSX '92 TypeR 28pts
(3) FDRX7 TypeRZ 23pts
4 R32 GT-R NISMO 23pts
5 Lancer EVOIII GSR 17pts
6 Chaser V 5pts

Last edited:
Back