Tuned Tips

• Thread starter raceur
  • 5 comments
Hello experts

Given my best is a 1.37.6 and everyone else is in the 1.36s or better clearly I have a lot to learn. I thought maybe the best way would be to describe what I'm doing and ask for help.

Turn 1
Braking just before the 150m mark. I see the top guys brake at it, but I can't do that, well I can but then I get a nice view of Turn 1 as I slide past it. I learned that the Tuned can do down through the gears very quickly to third so I do that which helps with the braking. I try and cut the kerb but don't always quite make it (maybe I should brake earlier, but braking late and missing the apex slightly seems to be quicker than braking earlier and making it perfect), looking to keep above 100km/h but usually manage only 95. I trail-brake into the turn, off the brakes completely by the apex, burst of throttle into Turn 2. I'm wondering if there is any technique I'm missing or maybe it's just a lack of talent.

Turn 2
Over the kerbs, when I get it right I'll be squeezing the throttle on at the apex. No issues with this one as it's really dependent on how well T1 has gone.

Turn 3
Easy to take but difficult to set up as I now need to get over to the left for Turn 4.

Turn 4
This is perhaps the most difficult corner for me. I'm not sure if changing down then dabbing the brakes is best or braking then changing. Either way it's difficult. I try and keep over 100km/h here but whatever it takes to keep on the correct line. Squeeze throttle back on after the apex using the rumbles on the left. The problem is of course it is necessary to turn, brake and change gears at the same time, I'm being as smooth as I can and have found slowing a little earlier helps rather than leaving it till the last minute.

Turn 5
Easy provided I remember to turn in early enough, which if I get Turn 4 right I usually don't as I'm too busy congratulating myself, and if I get Turn 4 wrong I'm too busy yelling at myself. Should hit rumbles but usually don't for above stupid reasons. Move out to the right for a wide entry into 6.

Turn 6
Brake just after the shadow into third, again trail braking. Try and keep it smooth all the way around, with the objective to end up as far left as possible on the corner exit. I'm interested in techniques for this corner entry. Accelerate slightly around the corner as it opens up. If I get this wrong I'm into oversteer.

Turn 7
Dab of brakes, turn in hopefully with the insides over the rumbles at 90-95, ease on the power from the apex and then there's time to see where my ghost is.

Turn 8
Brake hard just after the shadow into third, trail brake into the corner, as soon as the apex is cleared throttle on even if it runs a bit wide. Enter T9 from the middle or to the right of the middle.

Turn 9
This is the Bermuda Zone -- where tenths can mysteriously be lost and found for no apparent reason. Into second, keep it tight, smoothly wind the lock on (about 110 degrees), power on as soon as possible which is usually when the car is almost straight. Move to the right slightly for T10.

Turn 10
Generally don't need to brake into this one just lift, third halfway around when the speed has been washed off, and squeeze the power on using all of the exit and rumble. Try and get over to the left for T11 without spinning off the track.

Turn 11
Aim for the left wheels to be to the right of the kerbs, apply power only when fully back onto the track. Third gear.

Turn 12
Cut in close keeping it smooth, 5th gear around that time

Turn 13
Approach from about halfway across the track, gentle turn in. Keep it in 5th for a second but not so long the rev limiter is hit. Smoothly straighten up and see where we're at. Over the line at 248-249km/h.

Even writing this out helps, but I'm hoping for some insight and tips. I am sure I can get another 0.3-0.4 but at this stage the 1.36s are out of range for me, ultimately we all have a talent limit but I am interested in techniques and lines.

Here's the course map for quick ref:

800px-Indianapolis_Motor_Speedway_-_road_course.svg.png

This is a great idea for a thread. 👍

It would be nice to have some pointers from more controller players as well.

On Turn 13 I usually don't hit 6th gear until the turn is almost complete. Should I be shifting up earlier? I don't hit the rev limit or anything which indicates that I should be shifting earlier. I get a good amount of tire squeal around that corner and I don't gain much speed on it so I just figured there was no use in shifting up until I started to straighten out.

Back