"Tuners"

• Thread starter GTP_rpm
  • 15 comments

GTP_rpm

Premium
GTP_rpm
Can someone explain to me what these tune shops I keep seeing are all about.

What is the idea behind it and can anyone start a tune shop?

A lot of people who play Gran Turismo (e.g. Me) either don't have time or don't have the patience to tune cars for races.

Tuning shops work by offering tunes for cars (relative to the current online races). Often a lot of time and effort will go into each tune to ensure the car is as stable as possible.

A lot of tuning shops on here don't really get the credit they deserve - I'm sure a lot more people use their tunes than the people who leave feedback/thanks.

Edit: And yes, anyone can set up a shop or offer individual tunes :)

I use almost only DC's and TLD's tunes, cause I have no time to find good setups.

When I have few hours in week time for myself and this Game, I dont wanna spend it for finding gear-ratios and suspension-setups. I just look what these great guys have already excisting, and take few warmup laps.

Thank you so much about making this game for so much enjoyable for some of us! :bowdown:

Anyone can start one... I started by posting some tunes... they were well received, so later I decided to open up shop.... If youre willing to put in the time and effort.... should work out fine 👍

What is the idea behind it and can anyone start a tune shop?
Many people want to spend the little spare time they have racing instead of tuning. For some people it's the other way around. ;)

Also, many people don't use a tune 'out-of-the-box', they use it as a starting point and adapt it to their own style. Which is usually faster than starting from scratch. :)

And yes, anyone can start a shop. 👍 The idea for me is to share the tunes that have helped me improve my laptimes. You can use them if you like them, or not if you don't. ;) I also pay attention to the feedback I receive, which helps me improve the tunes if they lack in any area.

I just thing as many ''shops'' that are open, is for the best as I've tried a few shop tunes and they're either for a wheel set-up or they just don't suit my 6-axis style.

I think I've got a very beginners driving style, but I've honed the set-ups for a few cars to suit my style very well and thought perhaps, I could help a few people out.

But then, a small part of me feels I should be selfish and keep a few secrets up my own sleeve, you know? Lol.

I remember ages ago giving a set-up out to two norwegian guys and they now actually pray for me EVERYDAY in a special 6-axis ritual. I want to help people, but then again, I still want to be fast and I'm scared half the reason I am fast (in the events I do) is down mostly to my set-up lol.

But then, a small part of me feels I should be selfish and keep a few secrets up my own sleeve, you know? Lol.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of competition - I personally find racing most enjoyable when I'm against people of the same (or highly) skill level.

I'm also sure a LOT of people will thank you for setting a controller-only shop as none currently exist (as far as I know). There are a lot of people on this forum who do not have the money/space to have a wheel and are stuck using less than ideal tunes.

I've only got 2 fully sorted tunes at the moment, one for the GTR 650pp and one for the F430 600pp custom event.

I think the way the tuners area is layed out is very bad. Like, I'd personally like to see it changed before I commited.

There is currently a 6-axis comp. going on at the moment, thanks to wanna_b and jack stanley, maybe the lot of us could club together or something?

I dunno, I just know my set-ups will only suit about 3-4 other peoples styles lol.

There are a lot of people on this forum who do not have the money/space to have a wheel and are stuck using less than ideal tunes.
Tuning is no different when using a wheel or a controller. The only thing that may be different is the steering angle, since the controller has become more sensitive in the last update. And yes, I tune my cars using both a G25 and a Sixaxis controller. :) I also verified it with several Sixaxis users.

That said, I think there is always room for other tuners, I'm sure your tunes will have an audience. 👍

That said, I think there is always room for other tuners, I'm sure your tunes will have an audience. 👍

Oh yes, as we have seen with the tuning garages, each one had a different approach to their setups (on the same car) and usually they have all been competitive tunes but with vastly different styles of driving.
More tuners can only be a good thing because it allows for more choice for more driving style tastes.

I remember ages ago giving a set-up out to two norwegian guys and they now actually pray for me EVERYDAY in a special 6-axis ritual. I want to help people, but then again, I still want to be fast and I'm scared half the reason I am fast (in the events I do) is down mostly to my set-up lol.

Alot of people dont share their tunes. Might be because they have a different driving style and it will be makde just for them, or they just want to win :lol:

The reasons the fast guys are fast is because they have a set up. You can have the best car, but without a set up you dont have much.

Tuning is no different when using a wheel or a controller.

Is this true? I haven't used a controller in a while but I always struggled with RWD cars since it was very hard to modulate throttle using only the travel in the analogue stick. So, I would think that controller tunes would make a lot more use of higher gears where the wheels are less like to be overpowered and spin? Or is this just me talking rubbish (it is entirely likely) :dopey:

Is this true? I haven't used a controller in a while but I always struggled with RWD cars since it was very hard to modulate throttle using only the travel in the analogue stick. So, I would think that controller tunes would make a lot more use of higher gears where the wheels are less like to be overpowered and spin? Or is this just me talking rubbish (it is entirely likely) :dopey:

I was going to mention something similar. Typically I don't think you would want as much oversteer dialed in for a controller set-up (with cars that are challenging to drive), unless of course you are reeaaallly good with your inputs. I find this especially so when racing some of the RWD PP600-650 cars on S2 tires or less...the NSX is a car that comes to mind. Some of the cars in the game that are quite challenging to drive will ideally be set-up more toward controllability and predictability (slightly more understeer in general) when using a controller, rather than all out speed which usually makes the car more edgy at the limit. With a wheel, you can get away with using a slightly quicker set-up (more oversteer to help get the car rotated) as controlling the slip angle and threshold acceleration/ deceleration is made so much easier and consistent. Of course there are probably a hand full of controller guys that have robotic precise inputs and could drive the most challenging car with computer like precision, but I think those drivers are few and far between to say the least...so you bring up a valid point. :cheers:

Last edited:
I don't think you're talking rubbish, because since the last update there ís a big difference in the sensitivity of the controller. Before the last update I had no complaints whatsoever about tunes being too oversteery. But the problem can be dialed out quite nicely using steering angle only. And on some cars it's not even necessary.

I have been using a G25 now for sometime. But I also check my tunes with Sixaxis or DS3, and what I noticed is the enormous amounts of assist you get when using a controller. I was actually surprised by how similar the amount of control was. Not that I was able to replicate the times I get with a wheel, but that's just a benefit of using a wheel.

Of course there are probably a hand full of controller guys that have robotic precise inputs and could drive the most challenging car with computer like precision, but I think those drivers are few and far between to say the least...so you bring up a valid point. :cheers:
I hardly qualify as a robotic precise driver. :P :lol: But see my response above, there ís a difference since the last update. But I wouldn't change the suspension of the car to compensate for it. I have found lowering steering angle is an excellent remedy, and not even needed with some cars.

But what we really need is a sensitivity setting in the setup screen for the controllers. Judging from a lot of responses, the controller is now too twitchy for a lot of people.

Back