Tuning guide

• Thread starter jackman454
  • 3 comments
Unfortunately I think the link to that guide is no more. Probably needs a bit of an update, I think.

Unfortunately I think the link to that guide is no more. Probably needs a bit of an update, I think.
It's available to read on the Wayback Machine, here it is.

It's an interesting read, and I learned a lot from it (it was the first time I heard about the 'ride height trick': setting the front to min and the rear to max for an acceleration boost). However, it suffers from the same issues that a lot of retro GT tuning guides also suffer from: applying too much real-life logic to a PS1 physics engine. Dampers and toe, from my testing at least, seem to be quite broken and act the opposite of what you'd expect them to. I wasn't able to prove whether stiff dampers and springs affect speed like he claims to. It also overlooks the 'gear trick', one of the most important tuning tricks in the game; it only gets a brief mention in the "Gears in Powerband" section.

The 1:05.117 time he set on Red Rock Valley with that RX-7 example tune is completely out of my league, I couldn't get near it. Makes me curious what 'top level' GT2 gameplay looked like back then.

Last edited:
Back