Tuning in GTM

• Thread starter J-PaP
  • 26 comments
Australia
Australia
J-PaP
As far as customizing your ride, a number of tuning options will make it into the game. What's there for the demo looks to work like the setup in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue where you have a series of drop-down menus and dials to change things. Unfortunately, you won't be able to purchase new parts for you car to upgrade your engine or what have you. Kazunori says to look for GT5 for all that stuff.

http://au.psp.ign.com/articles/990/990283p1.html

There you have it. Tuning like in GT5P which I think is just fine for the type of game it is.

I like GTM even more now. All the buying parts is too complicated for a haandheld.

Atleast KY said look for GT5 for all that stuff, some people were worrying about GT5 only having quicktune options.

My initial reaction was one of fleeting anger and disgust. Then I realized that this is actually a good idea. I trust PD to deliver a quality game. It might take a good long while but they WILL do it.

What are the tuning options like in GT5P?

If GTM uses the same tuning options, is it possible to tune a car with a fair amount of horsepower or just the regular +10%/-10% from GT4?

edit:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gran-turismo-psp-hands-on
Eurogamer: The demo doesn't have tuning or modification...

Kazunori Yamauchi: It's going to have a Quick Tune mode. You won't be able to replace parts or anything, but you'll be able to adjust your spring rate, ride height, and camber alignment.

Last edited:
So no upgrades?

This is starting to seem like they stripped down GT4, and added Ferrari and the GTR.👎

its a freaking handheld you doofus.

And they'll probably add pro physics like in GT5p...

Actually one of the videos on youtube shows a person being able to choose between standard and professional physics. I doubt they will be to the extent of GT5P since we don't have analogue gas/brake but there should be a difference.

I really hope for Being able to connect my dualshock 3 to the psp and use that as a controller as I love using the triggers for gas/brake.

its a freaking handheld you doofus.

And they'll probably add pro physics like in GT5p...
So they can fit all of GT4's cars, and all the tracks but can't make tuning an option past basic crap?

It seems like they just wanted a game to sell the new PSP so they had PD port GT4.

This is getting worse and worse, first we find out it has nearly the same car list as GT4 which is boring to say the least when we've had GT4 since 2004 and now we find out its not a proper Gran Turismo but a cutdown version like all the other forgettable GT's (tokyo-geneva, gt4 prologue and gt5 prologue).

Sadly it seems that GT2 will remain the best GT on the PSP which hurts alot after waiting for FIVE LONG YEARS....

It's not a stripped down Gran Turismo 4. It's a content loaded GT5 Prologue. It's like GT5 Prologue with 800 cars and 35 tracks (60 layouts). I've searched for hours after a way to play Nurburgring Nordschleife on a handheld. Now we get it in great graphics and great physics with a really great number of cars.

I'm still a little disappointed in the fact that we don't get mufflers and turbos and stuff. But I do understand why.

I don't understand.

It's a half done GT, PD had it on the backburner with it having little chance of release but Sony with there new push with the PSP probably set PD a deadline to get the game out of the door which meant features were left out.

After 5 years of waiting I want more than GT4 - GT mode.

How is like GT5:P, this game will only have probably a couple cars that weren't in GT4. GT5P actually has new cars in it.

Plus there it seems it will be challenge based not career based like every other GT game. Sorry, but it is a stripped down GT4 with Ferrari and a GTR.

How is like GT5:P, this game will only have probably a couple cars that weren't in GT4. GT5P actually has new cars in it.

Plus there it seems it will be challenge based not career based like every other GT game. Sorry, but it is a stripped down GT4 with Ferrari and a GTR.

Doesn't look like GT4 physics... More like GT5P, same goes for menus and style overall.

So they took GT4, changed the physics a little and added a new menu. some Ferrari's and a GTR. Sounds like a stripped down GT4 with Ferrari, a GTR, slightly changed physics and New Menu's!!!!!

Ugh, this is sad, I really liked the tuning aspect of GT3-4, that way you can make your car awesome. Oh well, with 800 cars, I can't complain. I hope it's a little more advanced than GT5P's though, at least make has upgrade the transmission and stuff. T_T

I don't think this would be possible as the PSP doesn't have a long enough battery life.

LOL, it was a veiled sarcastic remark aimed at the people complaining that this isn't a full-on turbos, tires, and tuning GT game. It was meant as a rhetorical question to make people stop and think about what they're asking out of a 1GB game.

LOL, it was a veiled sarcastic remark aimed at the people complaining that this isn't a full-on turbos, tires, and tuning GT game. It was meant as a rhetorical question to make people stop and think about what they're asking out of a 1GB game.

I don't see how my arguments aren't valid. I mean tuning and upgrading is a critical part of the GT series. It also sounds like there will be no GT mode, sorry but this game is looking like a bust already. I will save my money for GT5, not GT4 on a PSP.

I understand where you're coming from and I agree that tuning and upgrading has been a series staple since the beginning and should continue to be in the future.

All I'm saying is that I've been waiting for YEARS for a PSP racing game that has decent physics. Suit yourself, but I'm going to buy it and I know I'll enjoy it. I've been wanting a GT game that has a more modern physics engine than GT2 (which I've played through several times, minus the enduros) and the ability to play said game on my lunchbreak at work. I'm positive that PD are going to provide at least that. :)

What are you guys whining about?!?!?! Its a GT game that has to stay within a 1 GB limit... WHICH MEANS YOU HAVE TO SACRIFICE.... Its a handheld and who is going to like walking down the street or sitting in the bus buying parts the whole time and tuning?!?! if youre on the move you just want to turn it on and race... No BS... just race... then you reach your destination.. you save it and play again later.... Now on a console I can understand having all those features because then you're really sitting down at home to play the game and you have all the time in the world...

You can still tune your car with the quick-tune to race against the AI in Single Player modus. If tuning is the same as in GT5P you can still add a decent amount of power and remove a decent amount of weight and it's fine.

You can still tune your car with the quick-tune to race against the AI in Single Player modus. If tuning is the same as in GT5P you can still add a decent amount of power and remove a decent amount of weight and it's fine.

Exactly... and when on the move I dont think you wanna be tuning all the time.. even though its one of my favorite things to do... GTM just needs to be taken as is... and for me, sitting in the train and tram a lot its the greatest thing to happen to the PSP since its release :) My PSP has been collecting dust and acting as a paperweight just waiting for this game which was SUPPOSE to be out at launch...

Exactly... and when on the move I dont think you wanna be tuning all the time.. even though its one of my favorite things to do... GTM just needs to be taken as is... and for me, sitting in the train and tram a lot its the greatest thing to happen to the PSP since its release :) My PSP has been collecting dust and acting as a paperweight just waiting for this game which was SUPPOSE to be out at launch...

And you can basically do whatever race you want, a sprint race with fast cars or an enduro with slower cars. I hope longer (and more difficult) races will also pay out more credits (a picture from the E3 demo said finishing first will earn a few thousand credits, so I assume you will get credits for winning single player races)?

Basically you can create a race the way you want (which you ofcourse also could at the GT4 arcade) and winning credits for those races.

However, at an interview I read that there will be 15 single player modes, so who knows what kind of GT mode is implemented :)

I don't see how my arguments aren't valid. I mean tuning and upgrading is a critical part of the GT series. It also sounds like there will be no GT mode, sorry but this game is looking like a bust already. I will save my money for GT5, not GT4 on a PSP.
I think you just need to consider what GTM is supposed to be. It's a Gran Turismo on a kill-spare-time handheld console. It's not meant to be a full-blown alternative to the title on the PS3, rather than a simulation as serious as it gets on the PSP. Regarding the other racing games you can get for the handheld, GTM likely will be the toughest and closest-to-sim game you'll ever see. The fact that it won't have the breadth the title has on the big consoles is fully understandable in my book. One one hand, the limited specs demand cutbacks, but more importantly, this still is a handheld console. A full Gran Turismo simply wouldn't suit the platform, since by default noone could and would play the game as serious as the PS3 version.

I think you just need to consider what GTM is supposed to be. It's a Gran Turismo on a kill-spare-time handheld console. It's not meant to be a full-blown alternative to the title on the PS3, rather than a simulation as serious as it gets on the PSP. Regarding the other racing games you can get for the handheld, GTM likely will be the toughest and closest-to-sim game you'll ever see. The fact that it won't have the breadth the title has on the big consoles is fully understandable in my book. One one hand, the limited specs demand cutbacks, but more importantly, this still is a handheld console. A full Gran Turismo simply wouldn't suit the platform, since by default noone could and would play the game as serious as the PS3 version.

And doing 2-5 lap races would be fine, but I don't want to think about doing a 4 hour endurance race (by that time the battery is already empty?).

However, you have the freedom to do whatever race you want, so that is fine I guess.

And I much rather have Quick Tune (with a-spec points?) then no tuning at all.

Back