Tuning in Horizon 3

• Thread starter Frizbe
  • 7 comments
United States
Albuquerque, NM
Frizbe
Darth Frizbe
Has anyone tried serious tuning yet in game? I'm working on making the '17 NSX as good as I can get it and I'm having trouble with the suspension tuning.
The car feels really good to me, which probably means its slow for good drivers out there, but I feel like I can still make it a bit better. So I started looking at the tire temps and noticed that after 15 laps around one of the Surfers Paradise circuits that I hadn't gotten the middle and outer portion of any tire out of the blue. I've tried lowering camber and taking tire pressures down as far as 21 PSI but nothing seems to get these tire to heat up. Should I care?

I honestly think tuning is pointless in games like these. I don't see or feel any difference except for increasing grip to unrealistic levels. My average win/lose ratio is the same regardless if I drive tuned or stock cars. Games like Forza are only made to enjoy sights and sounds. Getting more technical is Assetto Corsa or Pcars territory.

I honestly think tuning is pointless in games like these. I don't see or feel any difference except for increasing grip to unrealistic levels. My average win/lose ratio is the same regardless if I drive tuned or stock cars. Games like Forza are only made to enjoy sights and sounds. Getting more technical is Assetto Corsa or Pcars territory.
I don't think it's worthless. I use it as a way to get a car to drive like I want it too in this game(which in turn, makes me faster to be honest), rather than to make it out right fast. On FM6, however, it will definitely make much more difference. I'd say you're absolutely wrong in that point.

Has anyone tried serious tuning yet in game? I'm working on making the '17 NSX as good as I can get it and I'm having trouble with the suspension tuning.
The car feels really good to me, which probably means its slow for good drivers out there, but I feel like I can still make it a bit better. So I started looking at the tire temps and noticed that after 15 laps around one of the Surfers Paradise circuits that I hadn't gotten the middle and outer portion of any tire out of the blue. I've tried lowering camber and taking tire pressures down as far as 21 PSI but nothing seems to get these tire to heat up. Should I care?
I assume you may need simulation damage turned on to gain heat in your tires? I donno, I never haven't tried it to be sure but it could very well be possible I think.

I don't think it's worthless. I use it as a way to get a car to drive like I want it too in this game(which in turn, makes me faster to be honest), rather than to make it out right fast. On FM6, however, it will definitely make much more difference. I'd say you're absolutely wrong in that point.
This. I've been tuning my cars for awhile in FH3, both for asphalt and dirt racing, and honestly none of my cars feel the same. As @ImaRobot mentioned above, tuning makes you alot faster and thus, gains you good lap times. 👍

FM6 however, is alot more complex because of the track layouts and type of conditions (dry, night and rain). But once you master the tuning, you'll become a champion (except for online due to crashers, but hey, at least it was worth it right? :lol:)

It's thanks to Forza is why I love tuning so much now. :D

Last edited:
The tires generate and retain heat just fine right now with damage off (I run into far too many trees to use sim damage in Horizon) or at least I think it's keeping heat. I'll try it with sim damage on to see but I have a feeling that's only going to affect the wear of the tire.

I also agree that tuning does make a difference in Horizon. Increasing tire pressure and softening the suspension and dampers has made racing in the rain easier for me.

Tuning plays a more useful role in making road cars into off-road cars, I've noticed. The default settings for the rally suspension are always a little too stiff and you need to tweak them on a per-car basis to make it less prone to bottoming out and flipping over on large bumps. Transmission tuning is usually just messing with the final drive to get decent acceleration, since you're not likely to hit too high of a top speed.

Tuning in general feels less about making a car faster overall and more about making it responsive, only because the game autoscales everything to roughly match your car performance-wise.

So I started looking at the tire temps. I hadn't gotten the middle and outer portion of any tire out of the blue.

Make sure damage is set to full, and add tire pressure to force the wheels to heat up.

I think you need a wheel to get the best of the game. I play with a wheel and pad. Its much more difficult to use the wheel. For instance you're not able to slide through a turn like using the pad. You actually have to use weight transfer. Say your driving a bell air. The turning radius is set so its impossible to make a sharp turn. So it needs extreme toe out in the front, and toe in on the back to balance it out.

You might not notice this using a pad, but trust me it's a simulation game with the wheel. And tuning becomes imperative, unless you want to make three point turns.

Last edited:
Back