Tuning is really hard. ._. (RX7 Turbo issues..?)

China
Beijing
Hi everyone, my name is Amy~ I'm new to the forums. I made an account because I'm just kinda stumped with what to do with my FD Type RZ.

It handled reeeeaaally well, then I added stage 2 turbo and stage 3 weight reduction and then it started acting all crazy! I think maybe my driving skills with it just suck now that it's faster?

With the first set up, I could keep on the throttle the whole time and it stayed solid through turns and stuff. But with the new turbo I kept understeering so I just messed with the settings and now I oversteer... and get snap back? (I guess that's what it's called?)

I'm just wondering, is there like a rule of thumb on how to re-tune your car after giving it an HP boost...? Because I just want my FD to handle the way it did with Stage 1 Turbo, but with the acceleration of the Stage 2 Turbo. :P

Original Set up:
RX7 FDS Type RZ (375 HP)
Stage 3 Weight Reduction, Port Polish, Engine balancing
Exhaust: Racing
Racing Chip: Sports
Tire Type: S2/S2
Turbine Kit: Stage 1
Intercooler: Racing
Brakes: Racing
Transmission: Full
Flywheel: Racing
Carbon Driveshaft: Equipped
LSD: Full

Brake Balance: 19/12
Downforce: 17/15
LSD: 10/25/20
Weight Balance: 40/50

Spring rate: 9.3/9.0
Ride Height: 100/110
Shock Absorbers: 8/7
Camber: 2.4/0.7
Toe: 0/0
Stabilizers: 6/7

Last edited:
Hi! Welcome to GTPlanet! :cheers:

I'm a drag tuner, so circuit isn't my strongest suit, but you should think about lengthening your gear ratios, and MAYBE putting on more ballast. Hope this helped! 👍

Thanks, both of you~

I tried doing what each of you suggested. I still get a little oversteer when I'm turning fast and understeer when I'm turning and going slow..

I'm just wondering, is there a way to adjust my original set up in proportion to the new increase in power? So that it can handle the same but just more acceleration? Or, do I have to just suck it up and try to adapt to the way the car acts now...? -.-

You can't really do it in proportion, each mod requires a different setup.
But if you are pushing, then I would softer the front springs and dampers a bit, and maybe a bit more rear rebound.

What is your suspension kit? If it's the standard suspension kit, try upgrading it to the racing kit. Then start tweaking with the ride height, spring rates, stabilisers, etc. If you look around on the tuning forums you can see that having a difference between front lower and rear higher along with stiffer suspension will help. It's just a matter of trying.

Back