tuning options

hey everyone,

i love dinking about with the cars settings and always have since GT1. Since then i have learned a little (possibly a lot) about how a racecar works and i find myself wondering why we have some of the tuning options we do.
my first gripe with prologue, and i do understand it is just a glorified demo, is the lack of ARB adjustment. This is one of the most important factors affecting handling and oversteer/understeer you can alter on a racecar. this is even taken to the extent of it being driver adjustable in the cockpit in many cases.
my second thought is why-oh-why are we given springrate? i assume it is actually wheelrate we are adjusting and that is forgiveable... but why not give us something we can work with? ...frequency. When i want to change the suspension characteristics of a car the only thing you really look at is frequency, and the relation of front to rear. from one car to another the springrate/wheelrate will change due to differences in weight distribution and total vehicle weight as well but the natural frequency of the suspension is the same.

i guess my question if i really have one is; what do other people who deal with or have dealt with actual suspensions do in GT? i feel like im just twisting knobs and hoping for a better result here.

also i realize my name is ridiculous, i must have signed up years ago, presumably to download something...

I really have no idea what you mean by frequency? That usually refers to some thing happening x number of times over a set time period. The frequency of the suspensions movements is going to vary so widely depending on speed, suspension set u,p track conditions, ect, ect, ect I don't see how its of any use? Wheel rate and spring rate are to different things and are very important to a race car. That difference is why I changed my mustang over to coil overs in the front and the rear. However weight has nothing to do with either of them? spring rate is the rate of increase per inc of compression. For example I have 250lb/in spring in the back of my car so for every inc of compression I gain 250lbs of spring rate doesn't matter how far I smash them the rate is still the same, and because wheel rate is just spring rate measured at the wheel I don't see how weight has anything to do with it? Tune the suspension in GT5P just as you would a real car, then use the feel of the car you're lap times and the replays to determine if you have helped or hurt the car and what elses it needs done.

P.S. what the heck is ARB?

Back