Tuning prior to a race

United States
Green Bay, WI
I will admit that I'm used to playing Gran Turismo, which gives you the option to tune your car right before a race.

Am I able to do the same in Forza 5? For the life of me, I can't find where to tune my car without backing all the way out to the main menu.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

one of the things they took out, you could do it in FM4 but not 5. I quit the series load my tune and get back in. So stupid.

Yeah, looks like they cut corners on this to make the launch window like they did with the indicator for cars you already own on the buy screen. Just add it to the wish list of things we hope will make a reappearance in 6.

As the saying goes, you don't miss things until they are gone. This applies to a lot of cool features in the Forza series. FM5 lacks pre-race tuning, you cannot return to the main menu after completing a race (either restart the race and quit or load the next race, then quit,) and this might just be me, but I miss having your position and lap time on-screen with the telemetry data. I like playing with no HUD, so in past Forza games, I'd just glance at my telemetry under "General" to see how my lap times are doing.

one of the things they took out, you could do it in FM4 but not 5. I quit the series load my tune and get back in. So stupid.

In fact the last Forza which allowed this was Forza 2. Forza 4 allows the application of pre-defined tune set ups, but not detailed tuning. If you haven't actually defined every possibly required tune setup in a saved file, then you're hosed.

The Forza community has been pleading with Turn 10 for the return of this feature in FM3, FM4 and now FM5.

Had a chat to one of the developers, they are also very unhappy that most of what we could do in forza 4 did not make it back into forza 5, although he did finish off saying that we will be very happy with it if we just give it time.... Also he said would we rather have nürburgring how it was in forza 4 or a revamped track that is up to forza 5 standards.

There were so many complaints about the Forza 4 Nordschliefe that it'd be like commercial suicide to release it unchanged for the newer game. I would prefer to wait for a more accurate track.

If Stu's friend really is on T10 staff then I hope what he said about giving it time means more track DLC.

Forza 4 allows the application of pre-defined tune set ups, but not detailed tuning.

Eh? This may be true in multiplayer hoppers but in the single player career and in Rivals the Tune Setup option is right there on the pre-event screen.

It's only in online games where you need to have your tunes saved.

Eh? This may be true in multiplayer hoppers but in the single player career and in Rivals the Tune Setup option is right there on the pre-event screen.

It's only in online games where you need to have your tunes saved.

It's online lobbies where it matters. That's when it's not only the would-be tuner who is inconvenienced, but the others in the lobby as well.

For example, when my mate and I are racing online, one of us may want to just "tweak" the car a little to make it more competitive. It requires getting out of the lobby, doing the tweaking, being re-invited back into the lobby, accepting the invitation, then hopefully noticing that Forza has decided to put you into any car which is NOT the car you just tuned, so you go back into your garage to re-equip the correct car, and then we are ready to go again.

Or not noticing that Forza has switched cars on you, in which case you enter the race in the wrong car, and then we both have to quit out of the race, fix the car problem, and restart the race.

It's online lobbies where it matters. That's when it's not only the would-be tuner who is inconvenienced, but the others in the lobby as well.

The importance of game modes over one another was not what I was addressing. It was the wording of your statement to make it sound like it's not a feature in the game at all, which is incorrect.

The importance of game modes over one another was not what I was addressing. It was the wording of your statement to make it sound like it's not a feature in the game at all, which is incorrect.

I'm not saying that one game mode is more important than another.

I'm saying that the ability to tune in a lobby doesn't exist in Forza 3 or Forza 4.

I didn't say that the ability to tune doesn't exist in single player mode.

Last edited:
I'm saying that the ability to tune in a lobby doesn't exist in Forza 3 or Forza 4.

I was aware of that when you elaborated in your reply.

I didn't say that the ability to tune doesn't exist in single player mode.

Again, it was the way you worded that post that led me to believe that you thought the feature was not in the game at all.

Now that it's been sorted, I shall move along.

Back