tuning.. tuning.. tuning.. why?!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ryan77
  • 24 comments
  • 1,709 views
Messages
3
I've not played a huge amount of Gran Turismo games (however I do race in real life)

But I have noticed a large amount of people are fixated on changing this, changing that on their cars to try and win races.

Thing is, I've went through all the races in the game on A spec leaving every car I buy completely stock.. and I have all golds.

So why all the fixation on modifying and setting cars up? Best thing is keeping it simple!
 
So why all the fixation on modifying and setting cars up? Best thing is keeping it simple!
I like to do that too. Only when I can't beat a race I'll tune the cars, realistically. So just a sports exhaust and filter, sometimes ECU. A lot of people fully tune their cars like I used to, when I knew not any better. 👍
 
I'm with ya Ryan! I prefer to experience and enjoy each car for itself (stock). Hear what it sounds like, feel how it handles the road. I do wish I could race online against others using car that haven't been tuned. Lets see who's better at handling a stock Gallardo. But that's not the case everyone it seems has to completely modified their cars to the max. That changes everything about the car. Now when you race it's no-longer a road car or street car, etc...it's a suped up Arcade car.

If I do have to modify a car for a specific purpose; rest assured I'll buy the exact car and keep it stock.
 
Agree, leaving a car on stock adds to the fun factor and keeps the cars different. Only thing I do is install a set of sports soft tires and I just leave it and drive :)
 
Keeping the car stock is one of the best ways to experience the game.

And the IS-F stock is just amazing. Still trying to figure out why it has 8 gears though. :crazy:
 
Online races.
Faster cars.

I think that explains most of it. IN online races, it's not possible to use game restrictions to forbid upgraded tuning parts. If you can't stop people, people will upgrade, and if you don't, then you can't compete.

Obviously people do like unmodified cars. There are organized races that use cars with restrictions on upgrades. And Shuffle race rooms in the pub lobby always have people in them.
So I think it's not that nobody wants to use unmodified cars. It's that the way the multiplayer is set up, it makes it more difficult to do.

But yeah, I think also there's a certain appeal to trying to make every car go as fast as that car can possibly go. But I think this is true in real life to an extent. People like to hop up real cars plenty.
 
I've not played a huge amount of Gran Turismo games (however I do race in real life)

But I have noticed a large amount of people are fixated on changing this, changing that on their cars to try and win races.

Thing is, I've went through all the races in the game on A spec leaving every car I buy completely stock.. and I have all golds.

So why all the fixation on modifying and setting cars up? Best thing is keeping it simple!
Because if you tune your car you can do things that are hard with stock car, for exaple drive faster, take more narrow corners in higher speed etc. Many cars in gt5 are crap from the factory, and therfore need tuning.

I would say that the tuning really increases the joy of driving, since you can tweak the car after your driving style and preferences.

Specially if you drive online, then tuning will also make a huge difference since you are playing with real life persons.

The original car hardly feels like a stock car in real life, gt5 is a simulator yes, but you can never compare a game with real life. People that race, both in real life and in games, modifies the car to be competetive and to have a advantage. Many enthusiats in real life modify their cars as well, because from factory isnt the best. There are a bunch of gallardos out there in real life, running uppgraded tires/wheels, exhust system, air intake, etc.

You cant limit the upgrades, but you can have hp limit. To decrease your hp, you can either remove parts or use the hp limiter. Is that simple.

The good part for people like you is, that the cars can only be slightly modified, and still they feel pretty good while "overtuned".
 
Last edited:
Because I'm an ugly American and to much of anything is never enough :D
 
When I started the game I was over tuning my cars and using racing softs. It wasn't that I needed to in order to win, I just wanted really fast cars. I quickly found out that most street cars get too fast for their own good and were no longer any fun to drive. I now have 3 basic types of cars in my garage, stock on sport softs, slightly tuned (usually a couple bolt ons), and then factory race cars. I really enjoy street cars in the 425-525pp range. In terms of online racing, I usually just race with a couple of friends and we decide on common cars and common upgrades (usually sport susp, sport exhaust and cat, air filter, and maybe ECU). By doing this we can figure out who needs to add ballast to a car to even out the competition. I found when I was using LSDs and adjustable suspensions, I was spending most of my time tuning and not as much time enjoying the car. To each their own though.
 
With proper (or improper) tuning you can corner on two wheels with the Schwimmwagen :D

With proper (or improper) tuning you can get your car to do wheelies :D

I have only tuned a few cars early on in b-spec and a-spec racing to win the races with the cars allowed. Tuned them just enough. After a couple weeks of racing I started tuning some cars completely.

Most of my cars are untuned though. Also, undriven as I just haven't found a need or the time to just play with them.

And there are a few street cars that I have two of so I have one stock and one fully tuned.
 
I think that explains most of it. IN online races, it's not possible to use game restrictions to forbid upgraded tuning parts. If you can't stop people, people will upgrade, and if you don't, then you can't compete.

Obviously people do like unmodified cars. There are organized races that use cars with restrictions on upgrades. And Shuffle race rooms in the pub lobby always have people in them.
So I think it's not that nobody wants to use unmodified cars. It's that the way the multiplayer is set up, it makes it more difficult to do.

But yeah, I think also there's a certain appeal to trying to make every car go as fast as that car can possibly go. But I think this is true in real life to an extent. People like to hop up real cars plenty.

There should be a "standard car" restriction online as its impossible to tell if someones cheating! (the shuffle car selection is terrible, why is it limited?)

Also cusomising LSD can change the whole character of the car beyond recognition, but who's to say standard is accurate with the amount of unfinished stuff in this game?
 
Last edited:
I always only tune my motors with parts that can be removed, Turbo's, Air filters, Exhausts etc. So I can always reset the car to stock settings.
 
i do in the game as i do in real life. I think the roof and the front bumper on my mustang are stock, thats about it. most of the car isnt even ford anymore, blocks aftermarket, suspension is compleatly redone, heck i have a pic where you can see from the windsheild through to the ground in the rear. We almost cut the car in half then redid the whole frame in the rear.
If i could swap motors in GT5 i would do that to :) Id probably put the 787B motor in anything I could, it sounds so cool :)
 
i do in the game as i do in real life. I think the roof and the front bumper on my mustang are stock, thats about it. most of the car isnt even ford anymore, blocks aftermarket, suspension is compleatly redone, heck i have a pic where you can see from the windsheild through to the ground in the rear. We almost cut the car in half then redid the whole frame in the rear.
If i could swap motors in GT5 i would do that to :) Id probably put the 787B motor in anything I could, it sounds so cool :)

👍 now theres a real motorhead :D
 
Because I'm an ugly American and to much of anything is never enough :D

LOL :D

I found when I was using LSDs and adjustable suspensions, I was spending most of my time tuning and not as much time enjoying the car.

I agree. It can get that way. Sometimes tuning cars can be fun. But sometimes then in some cases it seems like you spend more time tinkering than racing.
I find that for the Low HP league, and the Saloon series, I spend more time just practicing with the car, actually driving them. Because there's more leeway in car choice & tuning. But I'm finding this to be an annoying issue with the RM Capp race series. The series runs the cars at fully modified, max hp & max weight reduction. And it's been kind of pain in the dupa trying to figure out how to settle on a set-up for various tracks. Maybe it's just this car in particular I'm just having trouble tuning it. But I've started to think that in the future I may stick to race series that don't require cars running at max power & weight reduction.

With proper (or improper) tuning you can corner on two wheels with the Schwimmwagen :D

haha :D I have to say, I DO enjoy taking my fully upgraded Schwimmwagen into the World Classic seasonal cups. haha. There's just something entertaining about how well it does when fully modified on slicks. My bf always says, "THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE! THAT SHOULDN'T WORK!" No, but the game is about fantasy. Sometimes I enjoy taking some odd kooky cars & hopping them up so they can do things they shouldn't really be able to do. Another one I really enjoy is the Honda Z Act. It's just hilarious. :D

And there are a few street cars that I have two of so I have one stock and one fully tuned.

I do this also with some of my favourite cars. Keep one stock, and one tuned up.
 
XDesperado67
Because I'm an ugly American and to much of anything is never enough :D

LMAO on this. I was going to say because we're lazy and always in a hurry--fully tuned is faster and gets the races over quicker (so we can race more and get more $, XP, trophies, etc.). MORE MORE!!! lol

Seriously, only place I don't use dominant cars is on the shorter timed endurance races. Need them on the long ones to get breaks. Going to wait for patch 1.10 to see if they add in-game saves. If not, the 24 hr LE Mans is up next!
 
I enjoy stock cars and tuned cars equally, Variety is the spice of life.
 
I reset my save file a bit ago, I've driven a MX-5 and RX-7 (along with a borrowed Enzo and X2010 for 2 races) and the challenge all the way up to Level 17 is very heated. Love watching my replays as it's a real challenge to keep pushing the car.
 
I've not played a huge amount of Gran Turismo games (however I do race in real life)

So why all the fixation on modifying and setting cars up? Best thing is keeping it simple!

Just noticed this, so in real life do you just race your Geo Metro/Prius/ Expedition completely stock the way it came from the factory? :sly:
 
I enjoy the GT500 and GT300 races where you run the car just like you bought it.

An oil change, and maybe an engine rebuilt after some miles is all I do to them and they drive great!

However, I do enjoy setting up cars, and seeing how quick they can lap.

I guess this game gives different kinds of players different options to have fun.
 
Online races.
Faster cars.

Pretty much that right there. Offline isn't a big deal for tuning, get a fast car and your set. Online is a different story. Racing series that are predicated on evenly matched cars always come down to driver skill and tuning.
 
Why not? It's done in real life too. Actually many sports cars have adjustable suspensions stock (S2000's suspension for example allows changing camber and toe). Not so in GT5 so i'm not so sure about the realism of untuned cars in GT5... :p
 
I like to tune my cars within limits (I'm not going to push my miata to 500hp, etc). I usually only buy the more extreme upgrades if I am making an RMed car or something like that. Tweaking the suspension and gearing is more fun than bolting on HP.
 
i hear yah there on each rear sock of my mustang i have 250 possable rebound and compression settings, 8 rebound settings on each front strut, toe and camber are adjustable up front. also have a brake ballance controller and its just a street/drag car lol
 
Back