Turbo Upgrades too weak?

• Thread starter StogyBear
  • 21 comments
StogyBear
Is it me or are the turbo upgrades too weak in GT5? The difference between a stage 2 and a stage 3 turbo upgrade on an Evo IX is only 10hp. Who would spend 20,000c for 10 hp? A fully tuned stage 3 evo should be in the 600 - 700 hp range but it barely reaches 500hp in GT5.

thoughts?

P.S. Why can't we supercharge BMWs? I know the M5 in gt4 could be supercharged but in GT5 they took that option out.

here's a 750hp SCed M6. So its doable

Thats sweet bro. I want one of those. :drool: The 135i looks like its even doing 200 mph.

Yeah the Turbo upgrades in GT5 seem automated, and random. Probably because there's so many cars they just said F- it we cant figure out the tuning on all these.

It isn't only about the difference in horsepower you know, a stage 2 turbo delivers most of its power/torque in the mid-range revs whilst a stage 3 turbo delivers most in the high-range revs (there are plenty here who can explain it much better though).
In essence this creates 2 entirely different cars with different characteristics depending on personal preference and the purpose of the car.
In some cases a stage 2 turbo even delivers more horsepower than a stage 3 (for example the VW T1 Samba).
So the price difference isn't always an indicator for which is the best to choose, and neither are the performance figures.

Do you have to buy them in order?
Or can you just put stage 2 on.

Personally just upgrade the tires. It's like a full tune and aero mod wrapped into one.

The main difference between the stage 2 and 3 turbo's are often the power curve. You buy the one that suites the car most, which isn't always the stage 3 turbo.

I wish there was really more to it but it'd be much more complicated. Have you guys seen or read a turbo pressure graph? I'm sure if we wanted something within that lines, this game would be totally different. Yes, I do wish you could turbo charge some cars but in the real world, I don't think anyone of us can control a 700+ RWD car on a course like "the Ring" but in this game, it would've been neat to see how one felt.

Basically, as Dave and analog mentioned, Stage 2 and Stage 3 turbos have different power characteristics, and I often play around with both of them to find the optimum power build that will give me the most performance within a certain power cap.

Was even better in GT4, where you sometimes had a Stage 4 "tuner" turbo, which was often silly powerful and laggy. Get it to work right and it's wonderful. But sometimes it's not as good as the Stage 3.

GT5's system is simplified, but there is a bit of logic to it. Some cars will not see great power gains out of turbo builds until you rebuild the internals (nice touch), whereas different exhaust/intake set-ups will give you the same overall power but different torque levels... though I wish GT5 would reflect an elastic torque band with naturally aspirated mods as it does with turbos.

Is it me or are the turbo upgrades too weak in GT5? The difference between a stage 2 and a stage 3 turbo upgrade on an Evo IX is only 10hp. Who would spend 20,000c for 10 hp? A fully tuned stage 3 evo should be in the 600 - 700 hp range but it barely reaches 500hp in GT5.

thoughts?

Agreed. Some cars like the Evo... GT5 handles the turbo upgrade really weird. I don't know if it's some kind of balance thing but the increase in performance from the upgrades is really low... too low. I have some experience since I used to own a lightly modded Evo VIII and for very little money you had a 350hp car. So the fact that stage 1 and 2 give you basically a rounding error in terms of HP struck me as off.

Hell of a lot of what looks like Torque steer on the start of that vid

isnt torque steer only on FWD cars? I think he's just counter steering.

As for turbos not having stages, that just makes things worse. I want to slap on a huge turbo and reach insane amounts of power and don't care about the lag. But seems like we can't do that

The blower upgrade is rediculous also. I remember that when you dropped a blower in a Ram or the Tacoma, the torque was over the charts. The Ram made around 600ft.lb at 2000rpms, and the Tacoma did 550 at 1900 RPMS. Both keeping a realistic HP rate. 400 and 350 respectively. Now they only get like a 60 to 100 HP boost, with an equal amount of torque.

I would love to see the turbo's have a tuning section of their own. Which you could go in and set trim type, a/r sizes, and even housing size, etc. But then again I would also like adjustable boost and timing. I'm sure this would be confusing to a lot of others though.

Adjustable boost pressure is badly needed....

Just because the engine and tune state can have 600hp, doesn't mean I want it all the time

Back