Turn 2 @ Cote d'Azur

  • Thread starter Thread starter Luxy
  • 11 comments
  • 629 views
Messages
1,008
Messages
GTP_Luxy
What's your approach (line, speed, gear, etc.) for turn 2 (the decreasing radius left at the top of Beau Rivage) at Cote d'Azur.

To me, this is one of the most challenging corners, because you enter at the crest of the hill, without much weight on the tires, and the end of the turn is a chicane (Casino).

I generally brake lightly before the top of the hill, enter the turn wide and coast through a late apex, breaking just a little on exit to get the car to come around for the next turn.

I know there must be a faster way to do this, as I usually end up either locking up and understeering or hitting the wall on the inside.

What does everyone else do?
 
I start braking just before the crest of the hill and try to be in 3rd gear before I start turning from the outside, apexing at about 2/3rds through the turn. About half way through the turn I switch back to 4th and accelerate wide open through the apex, then back to 3rd for the next right down the hill. The 2nd turn at Cote takes a steady hand and I still kiss the wall on occasion. Just gotta slow down soon enough.
 
Welcome to GTP, Luxy, and please start many more interesting and constructive threads like this one! So much better than "what's your favorite car" and "what's your top speed".

It's actually Turn Four, I believe, but I know the one you mean ;)

I take this a little differently, and I can't tell if it's better or not. I tend to treat it like a double-apex sweeper, but that has to do with what comes before and after. I try to straight-line through the little 2-3 offset between Turn One at the bottom of the hill and Turn Four at the top, which usually leaves me to the inside (left) as I approach. I definitely brake before the suspension unloads at the crest, usually changing down to third. I early-apex the first part of the turn, drifting wide to the right hand wall at the actual apex, then turn back in for a second, late apex. If I get it right, this puts me to the left side as I approach Turn Five, the stiff right leading to the downhill chute and the first U-turn. If I remember not to push too hard through the second half of Turn Four, I can be on the gas through Turn Five, which translates to a noticeable time gain on that downhill straight. I have a tendency to hold redline in third throughout this whole process, upshifting to fourth at the apex of Turn Five. Keeping it in the lower gear makes throttle control tricky but improves the effect of weight transfer throughout the second half of Four and into Five.

Great topic! Let's hear some more like this, people!
 
man.. i have a feeling that if luxy were to stay here for longer, he would be a very good contribution to gtp
and, to reply to the topic, that hilly turn...
heh
well, basically, i brake a tiny bit when i sense the car is floatin off my control (front wheels light)
the braking sends the weight to the front and i can keep turnin..
 
Whilst it's important to get the entry angle, speed and line right for this corner (called Massanet or something like that in real life) I find the important part is getting the exit right.

Others have covered the entry, but try to make sure you exit the corner nice and close to the barrier on the left. This will enable you to take the following right hander out of Casino Square much faster and carry the momentum over the hump and down the hill.
 
I take this corner very similar to HRD's approach. Although I'm starting to suspect that approach may be the wrong one. I've still got some experimneting to figure it out.

I nail the brakes hard after the peak of the hill, dropping weight onto the front tires, to initiate the turn. As soon as the car settles onto 4 tires, I ease back onto the power to apply forward movement, without inducing understeer. Keeping a full left lock, and then making a very smooth & even transfer to right lock.

Too quick of a transfer from L-R gives way to understeer as you've got less than sufficient weight on the front tires in the L-R chicane. Especially in higher powered cars.

I'm still trying to work this corner out, as well as the final few corners. That blind one onto the front straight has always nagged my lap times.

It's nice to see some thougthful questions here for a change.

I'd like to see some of the pro's weigh in on this.

AO
 
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm glad everyone likes the topic. I'm not really a "car guy", so the racing stuff interests me more than any particular car or track or whatever.

Anyway, neon_duke, I'm gonna try your suggestion. It makes a lot of sense. I've been trying to take the whole thing as one turn, keeping a constant speed, and only breaking on entry.
 
Thanx All !!!
Great Questions & Great Answers make for a Super thread!!! Sure we'd all like to see more like this one. Thanx Luxy...UB57
:D
 
I try to hit that turn wide. I slow near the top of the hill so I don't have as much weight transfer at the crest of the hill. I figure that if I sacrifice a little speed at the start of the turn I can make it up on the exit. Then I can pick up some good speed on the downhill straight that leads to the really slow, tight section of the track.
 
excelating up the hill, brake widestep into the apex and out wide again, then make a str8 line for the right hander which i hit a faily fast speed and have to brake heavily for as i am in pretty tight (about mid track).... but it does depend what car i am in...
 
Oh, and i hate the way the AI zig-zag up the hill ":(
 
Back