Turn off your Television ...

  • Thread starter Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 25 comments
  • 864 views
Messages
10,687
United States
Everywhere
Turn off your TV for one week.

http://www.tvturnoff.org/

No console video games either! I'll do it. perhaps we can talk about it here.

Then the following week (or sometime shortly after) we can have a 'no Internet' week. (:
 
What is this? Have you been watching Oprah too much lately LoudMusic?
 
man, I haven't turned the tv on in three weeks. . . : (
 
Originally posted by ExigeExcel
deos the computer monitor count?

I think what they're talking about is broadcast television ... as it 'rots your mind'. TVs are nicknamed "idiot box" because all you do is sit there and stare at it mindlessly. Or at least the general populace does.
 
so. . . we can't watch the discovery channel. . . you know. . . do it like they do it on the discovery channel. . . Kristen is going to kick my arse for a week because of that. . .
 
I think what they're talking about is broadcast television ... as it 'rots your mind'. TVs are nicknamed "idiot box" because all you do is sit there and stare at it mindlessly.

My brother practices wrestling moves on me while watching television. I have learned alot through TV, much more than my school teachers have taught me.
 
Watching TV is ok, watching TV for hours and hours every day isn't.
 
Originally posted by live4speed
Watching TV is ok, watching TV for hours and hours every day isn't.

Really? What will happen to me?

I watch TV when I shower, take a crap, go over my work, come here, eat, sleep, lift weights, swim, play my guitar, etc...

Sorry LM, your idea can go to hell. :lol:
 
I've learned alot of stuff through television programs, so I don't think I'll stop. I mean the people who want you to stop watching tv are using the internet to connect to people, and personally I think the internet will rot your mind more than a tv will. I mean on tv they have rating systems and stuff to keep you away from bad stuff, not like the internet mind you.

If they just want people to stop watching tv so they won't be lazy, well, I'm on a high school football team so I think I get enough excercise.
 
Turn off the TV and miss who wins American Idol?!

No way Jose. :)
 
Well, that makes me feel a little bit better for myself. I haven't watched TV or played PS2 (only console I have) in a month. Yay for me! :D
 
Ha!

Good luck. I spend more time watching T.V. and playing video games then doing schoolwork.
 
I watch programs that involve some sort of thinking. This is bogus. How can a television rot your brain? I've never understood that.
 
Klos's brain is unrottable.

I have to watch AFV and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition tonight though! Surely, watching a nice-looking home won't induce rottation, will it?
 
You watch those shows? Are you insane? I make fun of my entire family for watching those crappy shows. Mercilessly.

You can't rot what's already rotten.
 
What else is there to watch on the network channels? What the hell do you want me to watch, Dora the Explorer?
 
Originally posted by Sage

What the hell do you want me to watch, Dora the Explorer?


Kids need their Spanish at an early age!

Hell, even I learn from it, considering that I took Latin throught my high school years.
 
Hell No!

I need my TV and Computer or I might....Die...
 
Originally posted by LoudMusic
Turn off your TV for one week.

http://www.tvturnoff.org/

No console video games either! I'll do it. perhaps we can talk about it here.

Then the following week (or sometime shortly after) we can have a 'no Internet' week. (:

That will be something hard to do, its like telling me to stop breathing for a day. I just can't do it, I watch heavy metal DVD concerts very often, about 5-6 times a week, I watch DVD just about every day
 
Originally posted by miata13B
so. . . we can't watch the discovery channel. . . you know. . . do it like they do it on the discovery channel. . . Kristen is going to kick my arse for a week because of that. . .

:lol: Very........inventive:)
 
Originally posted by LoudMusic
Turn off your TV for one week.

http://www.tvturnoff.org/

No console video games either! I'll do it. perhaps we can talk about it here.


No problem there. :)

Then the following week (or sometime shortly after) we can have a 'no Internet' week. (:



ARE YOU CRAZY? :lol: I'd go crazy. And trust me, I have. No internet for 5 months. :nervous:
 
My brother suggested that Sony was behind all those "Kill Your Television" bumper stickers you see on old Hyundais and Volkswagens. It all makes sence now.

Actually, I went without cable TV (just plain-old, rabbit-ears broadcasting) for over 18 months in my present home. I finally can afford satellite, because it's cheaper, and couldn't stand another F1 seaon go by without me.

Generally, pre-Dish, that meant watching about 2-3 hours of TV a week (The Simpsons and the local news every so often), and there were times I went weeks without watching anything, save using the PlayStation.
 
I can't go on without my games and the 3 or 4 shows on techtv and discovery channel I watch. Even those 3 or 4 shows now, I can't watch anymore because sattelite is down.

Either way, I *have* gone 2 or 3 weeks at a time with no more than a few hours in front of the tube because of school stuff... Hell, once I was forced to go a full month because our house in Pakistan doesn't have cable and the bunny ears only offer like 2 channels in an Urdu dialect that's familiar but almost beyond my comprehension. That was one hell of a tough month...but it wasn't the lack of tv, but rather the fact that I spent most of that month in bathrooms. :p
 
Hrm. I like to fall asleep to Family Guy everynight. But I think it would be okay to turn the TV off for a week. The internet thing..... That would suck, but fun to try. Would be nice to see what I could get done without using these two things.
 
Back