• Thread starter Tim Voak
  • 12 comments
United States
Florida, USA
What you’ll need:
PS3
GT5
(Anywhere above version 2.0)
USB flash drive (one in FAT32 format is preferred since the PS3 supports it, most flash drives are FAT32. As long as the PS3 can read it, you should be fine)
GT5 save game (with Plymouth Superbird in any color)
GT5 Garage Editor v1.3.1 by slim355 & q-k

Once you have these taken care of, let’s get started!

1. Plug your USB flash drive into your PS3, go to save data and copy your save game to it. Their are two save games, one is the regular save, the other is the back up. We only need the regular one, you can’t copy the back up anyways.

2. Plug your USB flash drive into your computer.

3. Load the save game in the garage editor. In my case, once open the editor, I would click “Open Garage”, find my usb drive, navigate to the “PS3” folder, then “SAVEDATA” and then click on my save game. Mine is in a folder labeled “BCUS98114-GAME”, but yours might be named differently if you live outside the US.

4. Once your save is loaded, go over to the “Garage” tab, locate and select Plymouth from the manufacturers drop-down menu in the upper right corner. Locate your Superbird in the car model drop-down menu just below and select it.

5. A list of various car code selections will appear below the drop-downs. Go to the second line entitled "Paint" having the 8-digit sequence "03FFFFFF" (if you have not previously painted) displayed in the data cell to the right of "Paint".

Victory1.png

6. Click inside the cell, erase that paint code, type in "019C3FFF" (no-name blue from the Racing Kart) and click enter.

Victory2.png

7. Close the Garage Editor by selecting "Close Garage" from the "File" drop-down menu in the upper left corner.

8. Remove your USB drive and copy your save game back to your PS3.

If you've done all of this correctly, your Superbird should now look like this:
*Note: There's no trademarked "Petty Blue" in GT5 but this hidden color is "Petty Close". Enjoy.

Victory0.png

Last edited:
Gotta love that crazy mixture the Petty Team did on the real deal. They added white to the blue cause they ran out of the corporate blue stuff and hence it became the famous Petty Blue on the number 43.

He refused to change his colors for sponsor STP and eventually reached a compromise that made his cars even flashier. Richard was keenly aware of branding himself and cultivating his own unique style. In the early '70's he was an icon in the sport. His public persona was as recognizable to race fans as Evel Knievel or Elvis, and they called him "The King" Note those fabulous Stetson hats and movie star sunglasses. Who has made more money from a color? Gotta love it.

Petty-Car.png

Last edited:
Now that we have a great match to that color with code, but could even be better with a new code that includes the "rims" done in the Darker Blue and "body" with that Petty Blue... that would be the ticket... :cheers:

Now that we have a great match to that color with code, but could even be better with a new code that includes the "rims" done in the Darker Blue and "body" with that Petty Blue... that would be the ticket... :cheers:

These rims on this car are not paintable even with the GE.
-
Contrary to popular mis-information, no Mopar produced vehicle ever left the factory painted "Petty Blue."
There were around 43 painted Chrysler Corporate Blue (special order color formally used on engine blocks).
Common factory blues were B5 Bright Blue Metallic and B7 Dark Blue Metallic (aka Jamaica Blue/Evening Blue).
1972 introduced B3 Basin Street Blue which is often mis-representeded by sellers as Petty Blue/Corporate Blue.

Ha ha really cool!

Save me a Google search: How does one get this garage editor? I wonder what else is possible other than paint.

Hello!! thanks for the tip!! Question: Can I use this painting metod for any paint and/or any car?? Thx for the answer

Most cars in your garage can be painted using this method.
There is a list in the forum of the few that can't be painted.
There's a list of Useful GT5 Hidden Color codes in this forum.
Clicking on the paint line opens a menu of all standard colors.

Here is a Fail Safe procedure that I use when editing any game save with the GE:

1.) Always close the garage before exiting the GE and removing your thumb drive.

2.) If you forget, you often can re-open it and do it correctly so long as you don't do anything else.

3. ) Once you close the garage, restart the GE and re-open your garage. If corrupted it won't open.

4.) Once you know your game save is in good shape, you may have a problem copying it to PS3.

5.) If this happens you will be prompted to delete the "bad" data and use the PS3 backup file.

6.) Do NOT delete the edited data that you know isn't corrupted, despite what the PS3 says.

7.) Turn off the PS3 and restart it. Remove thumb drive and reinsert it firmly and retry again.

8.) The USB port may become loose over time so be gentle, it may take several tries to work.

9.) Always keep extra back-up copies of your game save (thumb drives are cheap!) just in case.

These steps will save you much time and frustration when editing game saves.

EDIT: The GE also saves backups, we just need to copy the folder to a thumb drive in the PS3 / SAVEDATA folder and change the name to match a regular game save.

Last edited:
Hello!! Many many thanks for your answer. I must confess that i didnt expect a reply, most forums (GTPlanet is the exception, as long as i see) didnt answer back. I will play a bit with the colours. I had my GT5 Disc next with the GT6 ready to use most of the time, I follow the saga since Gran Turismo 1. I played many many cars games, but none as simply and complex at the same time as Gran Turismo, maybe this why I keep coming back. Again, many thanks.

Pablo

EDIT: My apologies for my english, quite a long time since last time I used it

Yes... Tim for sure knows his colors very well and this thread got me even more interested in the GE colors to hybrid. While researching the Petty color it was then when I discovered the Root Beer car in my internet research which was a real error car 1 of 1 located at the Don Gartlit's museum. In error Plymouth painted on only one of the Superbirds on a non offered color for this particular car being that of Burnt Orange Metallic. I now have Tim's special Petty color in my GT5 garage and the Root Beer car color pictured below my GT4 garage... Also here is a link to the Garlit's Plymouth Superbird '70 Root Beer car... https://www.tripadvisor.com/Locatio...lits_Museum_of_Drag_Racing-Ocala_Florida.html

Plymouth Superbird '70 (1 Of 1 Burnt Orange Metallic Root Beer Car).JPG

Looks like the real car! Once you get comfortable with the GE, it's way more efficient painting cars with codes than it is with the paint booth. :)

Last edited:
Back