Two Drift Questions

• Thread starter McLarenGTR
  • 15 comments
1) How do I prevent the car from losing power mid-drift? I will be in the middle of a corner and in 3rd gear and in the middle of the curve I'll lose power so I can't make it through completely. TCS is off, I'm using CH tires and SRF is off.

2) How long do you guys usually hold the e-brake for? I'm used to using power and upsetting the cars balance to initiate the drift. When I try to use the e-brake I usually spin out since I hold it for too long.

1) Not sure, sounds like a settings problem. TCS, SRF or something must still be working somehow. If you are staying on full gas and the power is dying, then there has to be something in the settings.

2) In an ideal world, not at all. Real world drifters use the handbrake as little as possible. It is a correction for not carrying enough speed. Best case scenario, on a long entry, the handbrake should be pulsed (on-off-on-off-on) so as not to flat-spot the tyres. Essentially, most of the time, you should be using the foot brake instead of the wand but even if you are using the wand to extend your drift, you should be looking to why you did it and see if something may offer a better solution (longer on throttle/later turn in/later transition etc).

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using an E92 M3. The settings are found here:
I'm also using a wheel and I try and keep power as high as I can. I still spin out so I am still learning, but maybe I'm starting to think that I am putting too much power down initially so the car is too sideways if that makes sense.

I'll try to incorporate the e-brake that way. I've tried it in mid-corners and it helps, but I guess I'll avoid using it to start my drift.

If anything, I would say using the e-brake to start the drift is ok, but using it mid drift is what you want to try to avoid.

In some situations (depends on the car, setup, and track), the e-brake can be the best way to start a drift (D1 section at Suzuka, turn 1). The are many other ways to start the drift, but sometimes the ebrake just works best.

Using the e-brake mid drift to make corrections is more in line with what I think TTCH was saying you want to avoid. It disrupts the fluidity of the drift, and as TTCH said, is an indication that you did something else wrong (or, not quite right).

I personally try to never use the ebrake while I am leading (except doing long entries, like Deep Forest, turn 1). I'm far from perfect though, so I use it all the time while I'm chasing to make small corrections.

Don't shy away from the ebrake though. It's simply another tool in your bag of drift tools. Minimizing its use will gain you style points, but it's always good to know how to use it properly when it's needed....and besides, using the ebrake and not crashing is better than not using it, and crashing.

Also, the E92 M3 can be a real handful to drive and tune. They can be made to be one of the best drift cars in the game, but it takes a bit of a special touch. I use a DS3 myself, but I've heard from multiple people that the E92 is a real challenge on the wheel.

Last edited:
If anything, I would say using the e-brake to start the drift is ok, but using it mid drift is what you want to try to avoid.
Not true, it makes the car unstable and slows you down unnecessarily. It's always best to either boot the clutch (i.e. power) or brakes, plus weight transfer. The handbrake MIGHT be used to make an initiation more extreme, but it will always be used in conjunction with one of the others in order to make it more aggressive. It will almost never be used as the sole method of initiating a slide. :)

In some situations (depends on the car, setup, and track), the e-brake can be the best way to start a drift (D1 section at Suzuka, turn 1). The are many other ways to start the drift, but sometimes the ebrake just works best.
This is actually a perfect example of a place where you should use weight transfer and foot brake, the e-brake should be 'pulsed' to maintain the right line. :) If you are dragging it for long periods, then you need to try to initiate later :)

Using the e-brake mid drift to make corrections is more in line with what I think TTCH was saying you want to avoid. It disrupts the fluidity of the drift, and as TTCH said, is an indication that you did something else wrong (or, not quite right).

I personally try to never use the ebrake while I am leading (except doing long entries, like Deep Forest, turn 1). I'm far from perfect though, so I use it all the time while I'm chasing to make small corrections.
Exactly, using the e-brake when leading is the best way to lose a battle and let the other guy stick on your door. However, 99% of drivers will use it while chasing to make adjustments. When chasing, it is a totally different scenario. One time I DO use the handbrake though is if i want to kill my wheelspin quickly. In an aggressive entry, I will go flat gas and then as the car winds into huge angle, nip the handbrake ever so slightly just to stop the wheelspin instantly and give maximum grip back to the rear of the car, thus allowing me to be more aggressive :)

Don't shy away from the ebrake though. It's simply another tool in your bag of drift tools. Minimizing its use will gain you style points, but it's always good to know how to use it properly when it's needed....and besides, using the ebrake and not crashing is better than not using it, and crashing.
True. You need to know how to use it, but try to minimise it's use under normal driving. Like kicking the clutch. It should be something which you don't NEED to drift but can use to make your drift more aggressive. If you can do whole laps of a track with no handbrake or clutch, then when you DO choose to use them, you will be that much better :)

Also, the E92 M3 can be a real handful to drive and tune. They can be made to be one of the best drift cars in the game, but it takes a bit of a special touch. I use a DS3 myself, but I've heard from multiple people that the E92 is a real challenge on the wheel.
Tell me about it, it's not just in GT6, they have the same issue in real life. The problem is the revvy engine, it has NO torque and you REALLY have to keep it singing above 6krpm. Anything less and it's like VTEC before the VTEC, totally dead. In real life, a supercharger kit sort of fixes it (still no torque compared to my 1JZ) but in GT6 they didn't give us that option. A better choice of starter car, and something which is REALLY forgiving, is the Toyota Soarer. Forgiving and slow in game, just like in real life :)

Hmm, so after watching videos of other people drift, I might have found the issue. Other guys are usually 75-100% on the throttle, but when I try to do that the car will spin out. Maybe the DFGT isn't fast/strong enough to be able to handle that? Or is there something I am missing?

Hmm, so after watching videos of other people drift, I might have found the issue. Other guys are usually 75-100% on the throttle, but when I try to do that the car will spin out. Maybe the DFGT isn't fast/strong enough to be able to handle that? Or is there something I am missing?

Most people will use the throttle as a button, You push it on and off as needed, Not enough power, give it more, not enough angel give it more, to much/going to spin use less throttle, The accelerator and breaks are a big part of a successful drift, I find that the break is not a big deal but throttle control is.

Hope this helps.
SDC.

Most people will use the throttle as a button, You push it on and off as needed, Not enough power, give it more, not enough angel give it more, to much/going to spin use less throttle, The accelerator and breaks are a big part of a successful drift, I find that the break is not a big deal but throttle control is.

Hope this helps.
SDC.
Perhaps I'm not counter-steering enough? If you look at this guy, you'll see his throttle never goes below 50% in a drift. I usually go around 25-50% but for the most part his is at 75-100%

@McLarenGTR

Well for starters he is using Comfort Softs so letting the throttle go below 50% would cause severe snapback. The level of throttle control is key on specific tires because if there's not enough throttle then the car can snap back over and if you apply too much throttle you run the risk of spinning out/having too much angle.

If the car is spinning out, you need to be earlier/faster with the steering. If you are even a 0.1 seconds late, you'll be spinning. Timing of steering inputs is the crucial thing in drifting, not throttle ;)

Was about to say, I bet my throttle mapping looks like a seismographic plot of x countrys worst quake. Steering inputs are what saves my ***.

Perhaps I'm not counter-steering enough? If you look at this guy, you'll see his throttle never goes below 50% in a drift. I usually go around 25-50% but for the most part his is at 75-100%

If you like to drift at low revs you want to be using the low turbo.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using an E92 M3. The settings are found here:
I'm also using a wheel and I try and keep power as high as I can. I still spin out so I am still learning, but maybe I'm starting to think that I am putting too much power down initially so the car is too sideways if that makes sense.

I'll try to incorporate the e-brake that way. I've tried it in mid-corners and it helps, but I guess I'll avoid using it to start my drift.

DUBS is one of the drifters that is a very talented man, I watch a lot of his videos on Youtube

@TwinturboCH & @twitcher

You two where right on the dot with every detail explain above. This will help a lot of people out there. I would have never done it better than you two. Great job 👍

. . . . One time I DO use the handbrake though is if i want to kill my wheelspin quickly. In an aggressive entry, I will go flat gas and then as the car winds into huge angle, nip the handbrake ever so slightly just to stop the wheelspin instantly and give maximum grip back to the rear of the car, thus allowing me to be more aggressive :)

Glad to know that there's someone out there who has a different use for the ebrake. I too, since my ds3 days, used the ebrake to hold my car from going wild on huge angle and gain grip afterwards.

Now, after almost 4 months of practice on my wheel, I'm able to apply the same technique.

If the car is spinning out, you need to be earlier/faster with the steering. If you are even a 0.1 seconds late, you'll be spinning. Timing of steering inputs is the crucial thing in drifting, not throttle ;)

Maan, I learned this the hard way! Wow. It took me some time to grasp it. It was such a different feel than from ds3 that it would threw me off every time. But as everyone says, practice, practice, practice and eventually you'll get it. Hehehhehe :lol:

Back