two questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter pfowei
  • 5 comments
  • 590 views
Messages
16
Messages
frowningpenguin
1) Does having a wheel really make a substantial difference over using the controller? Yes I know a subjective question but I am for insight before I drop the $ on a wheel.

2) I have several vehicles I have upgraded but managing to stay on the track has still proven to be a challenge. I have purchased the suspension and other upgrades; but I am still yet to purchase the $36K tires. Are they really worth it. Now I am playing with the controller (at least for now) and I do realize that (realistically) I cannot take hairpin turns at 100mph. But in a fully tricked out (other than tires) I should be able to take S curves pretty quickly without a problem.

Thanks for the feedback.
 
1) Yes, I have both but I race more with the DS3 due to practicality issues (I usually work and play at the same time, but it's hard to work with a steering wheel clamped to your desk). The feedback and much higher degree of fine control (i.e. the difference between 900 degrees of wheel rotation and less than 45 degrees of stick tilt and all that pedal travel compared to the X and square buttons (or triggers if you've changed it) is massive), but the wheel is by no means necessary. The problem is, though, I tend to use traction control and skid recovery in the more powerful vehicles (I'm talking FGT, Minolta 88C-V powerful) if I'm using the pad. Some people don't like that, some don't care, so I guess that's down to you.

2) The tyres are probably the most important part, to be fair, being the link between all that horsepower, weight and the road. If you're using the standard tyres I'm guessing that you've got something like 600bhp (just a guess) going through hard sports tyres, even a set of soft sports would be a massive improvement. You'd be very surprised at how good soft racing tyres are, if you haven't already used them before.
 
I have just started on a wheel ( had one for years never used it as i couldn't i tried but went back to the D pad) i decided to get to grips with it for GT5 .. Within 1 hour of using it ( and finding out i could calibrate it from within GT5.. doh !!) i had smashed my D-Pad records that i had for years since GT2 ! My skill and knowledge had not improved but the tool i used to play with had . GT pro a very old wheel i use .. I wonder what a g27 would be like and consider buying one now ! I will say this the game has become much more apealling now a wheel is used.
 
A big yes to both questions.

Having a wheel just enhances the experience 1000%, if money is an issue start with an entry level wheel like the DFGT then move up to something like a G27 or GT2 in a couple of months.

Racing slicks do make a huge difference in performance, just be aware that some events will restrict your tires and some people will want to race with certain tires etc.. Be prepared to buy more than one extra set for different races.
 
I can't answer for the wheel, but in my opinion the tires are the single most important upgrade you can make to the car.
 
Firstly tyres are the biggest upgrade you can make to a car...They effect your cornering speed and the effectiveness of the brakes.....Tyres are good!!!! or even God.....

Secondly as a wheel driver I would say the wheel is king....But you gotta have a wheel set up...If you dont have a firm setup your gonna be chasing the pedals around the dinning room and using one hand to steer while you use the other to stop the coffee table moving....FFB is pretty strong these days...get set up with a wheel you will love it.

Look here for DIY wheel stands and cockpits
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=163

Look here for the best sturdy steel DIY cockpit I ever saw!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=132467
 
Back