Two stroke bike engines maybe coming back, but don't hold your breath.

United Kingdom
Somewhere only we know.
FanofGT5
Lotus have built a bike engine called the Omnivore.It's a 2 stroke with variable compression, direct injection and gives good mpg apparently.Compared with 4 strokes, 2 strokes need massive respect as the bikes are usually that light and give huge power they are notoriously deadly machines.Like a Yamaha TZ750 people here might already know.

Nath.

That would be cool. I'd love to see a modern 2 stroke dirt bike. But tech is pretty wild for 4 strokes these days so who knows.

I would love to see/hear a multi cylinder 2 stroke, that would be just heaven for me.4 strokes are usually lazy and forgiving engines but 2 strokes are the total opposite.They can be uncontrollable, wild beasts and feels as if the power isn't contained any longer.Especially if you hit the powerband, it just goes like a rocket.Another thing with 2 strokes are they are simple to make aswell.I live for 2 stroke bikes, i think they are just awesome.

Last edited:
That would be cool. I'd love to see a modern 2 stroke dirt bike. But tech is pretty wild for 4 strokes these days so who knows.

They still make brand new 2 stroke dirtbikes.

250hp would be uncontrollable, 100 is more than enough in something as light as an RS or TZ250.

Yeah, but like I told you before, you can't buy them in the United States unless it's older than '07.

I agree 250hp is too much. Hell, I'm happy with up to 50hp. That's plenty for me. Even 100hp is manageable.

Yeah, but like I told you before, you can't buy them in the United States unless it's older than '07.

I agree 250hp is too much. Hell, I'm happy with up to 50hp. That's plenty for me. Even 100hp is manageable.

I've found many newer 2 strokes for sale in the states. I was even thinking about buying a KTM from Michigan or New York.

I've found many newer 2 strokes for sale in the states. I was even thinking about buying a KTM from Michigan or New York.
There wasn't an outright ban, but the EPA made it hard for manufacturers to meet the required emissions regulations. You can find them, but 4 strokes are much easier to meet said regulations so manufacturers have been opting for the 4 stroke route. I believe there is a hefty tax on anything new 2 stroke that you buy from a dealer.

There wasn't an outright ban, but the EPA made it hard for manufacturers to meet the required emissions regulations. You can find them, but 4 strokes are much easier to meet said regulations so manufacturers have been opting for the 4 stroke route. I believe there is a hefty tax on anything new 2 stroke that you buy from a dealer.

Everything I've seen is cheaper than in Canada. (By almost a grand. ) For road use the emissions test is difficult, but it doesn't matter as much for non road legal bikes.

Yeah Canada is worse as far as prices go. But the EPA is coming down on offroad stuff too so that makes it hard.

Back