Two Wide - On the Inside! Tips?

United States
United States
Hello there!
Was hoping to get some insight from you guys about some rules of thumb for being the inside car, going two wide through a corner.

Obviously every corner is different, how you entered, what the next corner coming up is, speed, and why you have found yourself in this position... etc...

and regardless off why you are there; defending, overtaking, being stupid and not backing off when you should have...

I generally find myself trying to brake later, and hold a consistent line through the corner.

In the moment of the action, 9 times out of 10 I make a last second decision because of in experience, and try to stay tight inside to defend and not push the outside car off the track. Feel like this slows everyone down, and makes everyone behind me think I’m being overly aggressive, which is the opposite of what I’m trying to do. Or is this a viable line..?

I feel like the outside car will expect me to go wide every time, and look to cut the inside if given the chance, and me staying tight inside is the wrong idea...? Makes me feel like when I come out of this cleanly, it’s mostly tanks to the other driver

So I’d appreciate some advice for - rules of thumb.

what do you do as the inside car, maybe some situational examples?

What do you expect as the outside car, for the inside car to do 9 times out of 10?

What should I be aware of if I’m expecting to stay two wide through/after the turn, or expecting them to under cut me?

sorry if the post gets a little redundant, trying to best explain what I’m looking for

Last edited:
Right now with the penalty system as it is, you best not touch the outside car unless you want them to be angry when they get the blame and the penalty for it. :lol:

With regards to what's the right thing to do or not it would be better if there were some video examples to go off, otherwise we are just guessing really. Well apart from always try to have zero contact with other cars whatever you do, that's always a good thing to do.

:gtpflag:

Like with everything in racing, what to do or what not do doesn't depend on you on only but also on people around you. As a rule of thumb, as @ASH32 says, don't touch the other car :D

In regards to inside or outside, I'm not sure what DR you are in, I'm in B and I find most of the time being on the inside is really risky. Assuming you don't dive in, many don't really know how to go side by side or don't use the radar, so they'll turn into you, no matter what. So my preferred way is to stay on the outside and go for the cutback, it works better in low rated lobbies imo.

Thanks, I agree, and generally aim to take outside if I can, or not got side by side.

btw I’m B-DR S-SR

i think I usually find myself in the situations when there’s a speed difference going into turns between cars - or when I’m “defending” - or when I brake a little early and go inside trying to keep safe, which is probably a bad idea

sorry for lack of examples haven’t posted on forums in like a decade

It sounds like you have the right idea to me.

If you have overlap and are holding the inside line, it's your right to hold the inside line and go as slow as you need to in order to hit the apex and protect your position. This is called "parking it on the apex." The person on the outside might try to brake early and get the cutback just in case you brake too late, or he might try to brake later and take a line around the outside for the pass.

Heading into any corner side by side, all drivers have to consider the possibilities. The outside driver must consider the possibility that the inside driver will brake too late to make the apex, in which case a cutback would work. Outside driver must also consider that the inside driver might brake early and cover the racing line, preventing the cutback. If this happens, the only choice for an overtake would be around the outside, which is always more difficult to do. So if you can force someone to attempt the outside pass as their only option, you've probably done a good job at defending.

Personally, I always want the inside if I can get it, and I'll almost always try to hit that apex to block the potential cutback overtake...however, I don't desperately try to take the inside if I don't have enough overlap. In those cases, I have no problem taking the outside, but that means I have to be especially cautious of the inside driver possibly outbraking himself and pushing me off track, even if I give him sufficient room on the inside. That's why if I accept the outside line I usually brake a little early hoping that the inside guy will miss his mark and I'll be able to get the cutback overtake.

No matter what choices you make, always remember to leave at least one car's width for the other drivers, whether or not they are on the inside or outside. I don't really buy into the philosophy that any one driver has rights to the entire corner or a specific line. If two or more drivers are side by side headed into a corner, the space must be shared, which is why braking a little early is always a good idea when battling.

Winnie has the right ideas, of course, but I'll add that you should never feel bad if the outside car initiates contact on you if you have overlap coming into the corner, time your braking correctly, hit the apex, and leave space for them through the corner. If they try to turn like you're not there, that's on them. Fortunately for you, it's generally pretty safe as the driver on the inside in this game (no idea if that's true IRL).

Thanks for input guys!

I know if I’m outside I consider myself behind, and responsible for being clean.

if I initiate the two wide situation, On approach I almost always go slightly wider looking to cut back, giving myself some space if the inside car brakes early.

Also like to think that I can see someone going to cut back on me, but awareness isn’t always easy, when your focused on crushing a turn!

I know I also have a problem with taking the turn too hard, worried about getting bumped if the other car is gaining. Then find little choice but to come out wide and bad things happen . Probably mostly from being over confident in the line I practice/am comfortable with.

It's however unclear (to me) from the description whether you are diving from quite some distance back. In which case it would be frowned upon (by me)

If you know that there will be a crash when the leading player takes his normal outside-in line, it's already borderline.

Currently with the system, slow down, be in the inside on every corner. No one cares abt driving properly but as long as you are on the inside, all on the outside will get a penalty even if they don't touch you so man, you are good that way.

If the guy leading commits to the inside early leaving the choice of follow his line or take the outside, if he leaves you room on the entry, there is a good chance as respectful racer he will leave you room on the exit too, allowing you on the outside to roll through the corner at a higher average speed through not having to turn as sharply, along with the ability to get out quickly.
Some crazy racing scenarios are possible with respectful racers.

Been racing last night on dragon trail. Each main corner i would do all i can to be on the inside even if that takes more breaking... at least i avoid any penaltys

Back