Tyre pressures

• Thread starter mynameis66
  • 15 comments
United Kingdom
UK
Hi there.cant rememer if its been discussed but what is classed as optimum tyre pressure,or is it dependant on temperatures? Where is the tyre pressure and temperature displayed on the HUD?
Also where can we see what tyres are fitted to our cars before a race if tyre selection is not set to automatic? so many questions.lol
Many thanks
Andy

Last edited:
In the thread 'finer points of tuning analysis' I posted a couple of links to forums explaining exactly your questions.

To answer your question about tire pressure quickly: there is no optimum tyre pressure per se. It depends on car, track, track temperaturr, suspension settings, driving style, etc..there is however an optimum tyre temperature (80-100C)which is largely dependant on your tyre pressure.

What you should do is run a couple of test laps with telemetry turned on. If your tyre temperature rises above 100C, increase tyre pressure for the corresponding tyre. If it doesnt get above 80C, decrease tyre pressure. Take note that too high or too low pressure will result in grip loss (as explained in the game) :)

Last edited:
In the thread 'finer points of tuning analysis' I posted a couple of links to forums explaining exactly your questions.

To answer your question about tire pressure quickly: there is no optimum tyre pressure per se. It depends on car, track, track temperaturr, suspension settings, driving style, etc..there is however an optimum tyre temperature (80-100C)which is largely dependant on your tyre pressure.

What you should do is run a couple of test laps with telemetry turned on. If your tyre temperature rises above 100C, increase tyre pressure for the corresponding tyre. If it doesnt get above 80C, decrease tyre pressure. Take note that too high or too low pressure will result in grip loss (as explained in the game) :)

I am struggling with my v8 vantage gt4 car, I have got 3 tyres to the correct temp which was a simple lowering of the pressure however the front left tyre isn't responding to my changes. I am actually trying to reduce the tyre temp down from 240 to 210f and no amount of extra pressure has any impact on its temperature...

I have tried pulling a little heat away from the front brakes but that's only helped the front right...

I am struggling with my v8 vantage gt4 car, I have got 3 tyres to the correct temp which was a simple lowering of the pressure however the front left tyre isn't responding to my changes. I am actually trying to reduce the tyre temp down from 240 to 210f and no amount of extra pressure has any impact on its temperature...

I have tried pulling a little heat away from the front brakes but that's only helped the front right...
Yes tyre pressure can only do so much. Its also dependant on suspension settings and driving style etc. You can try to stiffen the front (Im assuming its a front tyre?) sway bars so there is less body roll, this way both tyres (left and right) are used more equally and temperature might drop a little. If all else fails you can fit medium slicks

Which track? On some tracks with a lot of turns in one direction you simply can't get one side up to temperature without a massively assymetrical setup.

Which track? On some tracks with a lot of turns in one direction you simply can't get one side up to temperature without a massively assymetrical setup.
Or if the car is FF (FWD, Front Engine).

Question is, is a very asymmetrical setup a negative? If I run 1.45 Bar in the LF of the Clio and 1.29 Bar in the RF, so long as it feels ok, is that bad?

To this point, I've been purely taking the Default Tune, driving, adjusting Pressures to get all four tires up to the right temps and then start tweaking the Tune to get it to feel right. I then go back to reevaluate tire temps.
I wonder if I am doing it all wrong.

Last edited:
Or if the car is FF (FWD, Front Engine).

Question is, is a very asymmetrical setup a negative? If I run 1.45 Bar in the LF of the Clio and 1.29 Bar in the RF, so long as it feels ok, is that bad?

To this point, I've been purely taking the Default Tune, driving, adjusting Pressures to get all four tires up to the right temps and then start tweaking the Tune to get it to feel right. I then go back to reevaluate tire temps.
I wonder if I am doing it all wrong.
I think that's a sound way to approach things and if it works, it works:D. So long as there are no wonky side effects I'd just keep doing what you're doing. Tire temps are one of the main tuning targets. If you can't get them hot and keep them in the ideal range, you can never reach the potential of the car no matter what else you do.

I did read somewhere (mechanical engeneering forum) that assymetrical setup was a good setup only at Nascar races because it would unbalance the GT or Formula cars. Even before reading this article I always did symmetrical setups. Well, since I have no mechanical engeneering degree and I'm not even close to be a master in tunning, I ask you guys: Is that true about symmetrical or assymetrical setups or should I try some assymetrical?!

I mean, IMO if a track has more left side turns, obviously the FL/RL will pay the price no matter what and there is nothing wrong with the right side of the car afterall.

PS.: Sorry if I had some grammar mistakes, I'm not a native speaker.

question:

has anyone figures out in GT3 and GT4, optimal tire pressues for Slick, Medium, Hard, Intermediate and Wet tires? (extreme wet is a known bug according to pCARS official forum)

thanks everyone!

question:

has anyone figures out in GT3 and GT4, optimal tire pressues for Slick, Medium, Hard, Intermediate and Wet tires? (extreme wet is a known bug according to pCARS official forum)

thanks everyone!

There is no general best value. Each car/track combination needs different pressures. And it also depends on your driving style. I adjust the pressure to get tyre temps around 90-95 degrees in GT3. But always as low as possible for better grip.

I did read somewhere (mechanical engeneering forum) that assymetrical setup was a good setup only at Nascar races because it would unbalance the GT or Formula cars. Even before reading this article I always did symmetrical setups. Well, since I have no mechanical engeneering degree and I'm not even close to be a master in tunning, I ask you guys: Is that true about symmetrical or assymetrical setups or should I try some assymetrical?!

I mean, IMO if a track has more left side turns, obviously the FL/RL will pay the price no matter what and there is nothing wrong with the right side of the car afterall.

this is a interesting topic that I have not researched for sports cars. I race karts and I quickly learned that to be among the fastest that I would have to run assymetrical. Karts are a different animal so I have no idea how that applies to sports cars or any race car. For us its easy. Go run 10 laps come in, hit the tires with the laser and see if the temps are the same. If not then fix the side thats too high or low. Some guys really put some science into it and figure out how many corners each way (7 lefts and 9 rights for example) then the geometry of the corners. For example if say the 7 lefts are sweepers and nothing sharper than a 90 and the 9 rights include two hairpins then you will obviously need the sides to be able to handle different types of corners that the other side doesn't deal with and at same time keep temps optimal.

I would like to know what forms of racing other than nascar and karting do this.

Falling back on his CART experience, Jaques Villeneuve successfully used asymmetrical setups in F1 and in the days of open tyre competition, V8 Supercar teams would sometimes use different tyres on different corners of the car.

IMSA teams use Asymmetrical setups quite a bit, especially at tracks like Lime Rock Park. There is really only one (double apex) left turn on this track, so teams will setup the cars to sacrifice a bit of speed in this corner in order to maximize speed on the rest of the corners.

lrp.gif

IMSA teams use Asymmetrical setups quite a bit, especially at tracks like Lime Rock Park. There is really only one (double apex) left turn on this track, so teams will setup the cars to sacrifice a bit of speed in this corner in order to maximize speed on the rest of the corners.

lrp.gif
I don't know if this is "correct" or not, but I use assymetrical setups on most cars now, simply to balance out tire temperatures. I usually adjust tire pressures to get the tires close to optimal temperatures on both sides and ends of the car and often end up with 4 different tire pressures. It seems to work going by laptimes but I haven't done real extensive testing to see if there is a cost to doing this.

Back