Tyre simulation - what does it change?

• Thread starter Mr. S
  • 12 comments

Mr. S

Nikon Fanboy
Premium
France
Paris
So, up until now I had tyre simulation disabled - I don't care much about it anyway and it's not too important for 20% races.

However, I tried it today and it radically changed the handling of my car for the worse. Don't get me wrong, I haven't been on option tyres for a gazillion laps - it was a brand-new set. I quit back to the paddock, disabled it and gave it a go with the exact same set-up. The outcome was completely different.

Did I just hallucinate a bit or is it really like that?

i think disabling it gives you tire that are always fresh and more importantly always in their best temperture, and that makes a huge difference, it's a rather different ball game having it on.

With tyre simulation disabled, it's basically just perfect grip conditions. Track is entirely rubbered in, tyres are always at 100% conditions, and perfect temperature. So you have a really high amount of grip.

So, up until now I had tyre simulation disabled - I don't care much about it anyway and it's not too important for 20% races.

However, I tried it today and it radically changed the handling of my car for the worse. Don't get me wrong, I haven't been on option tyres for a gazillion laps - it was a brand-new set. I quit back to the paddock, disabled it and gave it a go with the exact same set-up. The outcome was completely different.

Did I just hallucinate a bit or is it really like that?

Everyone says that tyre wear off gives perfect grip conditions, but this isn't true because you never go anywhere near as fast in good conditions on fresh tyres with tyre sim on. It's just a completely different grip level altogether, anything between 2-4 seconds faster per lap depending on the track.

Everyone says that tyre wear off gives perfect grip conditions, but this isn't true because you never go anywhere near as fast in good conditions on fresh tyres with tyre sim on. It's just a completely different grip level altogether, anything between 2-4 seconds faster per lap depending on the track.

Well...that doesn't make sense. Such different conditions shouldn't exist, in my book and it should only cause the tyres to be fresh all the time, I think.

Yet, thanks for the clarification. :)

nahh it's not that much, it's around a second... with tyre symulation off, your tyres are at their best forever... with tyre simulation on you get around few laps with tyres that have the optimal temperature and are rubbed in as best as possible...

I've just given it a try (in Melbourne) and noticed that my lap in Q1 would've been good enough (1:26.983) for pole in Q3...sadly, I was like 1.5 seconds slower in Q3. Legend, that is.

Tried it on "Professional" and got a 1:25.756 in Q2, Q3 was a mere 1:27.935. That's 1.2 seconds faster than the 2nd place. Well, not bad for the first attempt at it and my McLaren didn't hit the walls too often anyway.

Thanks again shaggy, your clarification helped me a lot. :)

Last edited:
nahh it's not that much, it's around a second... with tyre symulation off, your tyres are at their best forever... with tyre simulation on you get around few laps with tyres that have the optimal temperature and are rubbed in as best as possible...

Here's just some of the differences between the pole laps in our championship and my time trial times:

Monaco - 2.3s
Silverstone - 3.4s
Interlagos - 2.3s

I could go on.

Do you have a list of your times somewhere? Some sort of data sheet from your championship.

Do you have a list of your times somewhere? Some sort of data sheet from your championship.

He posts the quali times in the championship thread here and he's generally near the top of the TT leaderboards online. He is the top no-aids on spa and has been for months if I remember correctly.

Here's just some of the differences between the pole laps in our championship and my time trial times:

Monaco - 2.3s
Silverstone - 3.4s
Interlagos - 2.3s

I could go on.

Yeah in time trial the surface is rubbed to perfection, unlike proper qualy in which the track evolves...

my laps in time trial times are also around 2secs faster than in normal qualy...

Latest Posts

Back