Tyre type on race-cars (DTM, GT3, Touring etc)

  • Thread starter Thread starter kickin_on
  • 12 comments
  • 1,185 views
Messages
189
Which type of tyres do most people run on their Race/Touring/DTM etc cars?

I am of the opinion that Racing cars are designed to run racing tyres...

Obviously not a strict rule, but just seems odd to put street (sports) tyres on a racing car...

Street cars are often taken to a racetrack, and can be fitted with racing tyres accordingly... Race cars arent usually taken down to the local shops...

Opinions? Go! 👍
 
The most people online use Racing Softs on this type of cars.

It´s up to you with what tyres you feel comfortable with those cars.


raVer
 
I once saw a thread where a guy wanted to put sports hards on a Formula Gran Turismo. And he was serious.

But yeah, I run racings on race cars and sports on sports cars. I only put racing tires on usually if I fully modded it for racing.
 
Cool, sounds similar to what I do.

Anyone got a reason for Sport tyres on Race Cars?

Or maybe just no one really does it at all? Edit: Not seriously anyway....
 
seems everyone uses Racing soft on everything
 
Yeah I used to be one of those people too until I fully got into GT5...

I find the level of realism in physics in the way cars behave is now to a point where its much more satisfying and enjoyable to run the APPROPRIATE tyres regardless of if theres an option to improve handling levels (via RSofts), as this is often at a cost to the realism and ultimately enjoyment of the game.

If realism isnt an issue for players of GT5, thats their perogative, but they might as well be playing Need for Speed and not "The Real Driving Simulator" (or at least, the currently-most-real simulator x-p )
 
Really?
If that's the case, how did this thread get started? :
What exactly is so shameful about using Racing Soft tires? - GTP Forums

I think that's the end-all be-all of the tire choice topic in that thread. It gets covered from every possible angle, from the personal choices, to the logical reasonings, to the conjecture arguments.

I think this thread got started because many people (i.e. - the 'everyone' we speak of) *DO* in fact, default to RSofts when tuning and need an entire thread to defend themselves or band together on the subject.

I havent read the thread yet and dont even know which group is the minority, or what the general concensus is, but still stand by the concept that if you are purchasing a simulator, you must have some desire to immerse yourself a realistic experience - and defaulting to RSofts is only going to detract from that and make the game less enjoyable for you.

Just my 2 cents because of course the fact will always remain, that really, you can do whatever the hell you damn well want. Its your game, and above all arguments, that is the beauty of it :)


Edit: Thanks for the link - seems like a better place for discussion of this.
 
I mostly use racing hards for race cars unless i'm driving a race that i have no interest in and just want to get over with it. This is mostly because i find the RH to grip well enough and because i'm cheap. :p

While the grip level of RS isn't that unrealistic i suspect that the grip loss when going over the limit is bit too forgiving. Real life slicks are infamous for how unforgiving they are over the limit. Also the tire temperature modeling seem bit over simplified but there is no way of knowing that for sure as the game doesn't give the player the needed data to check thing out.
 
I often run lobbies with a max of Racing:Medium... not because I think Racing:Softs are a bad thing but you get cleaner racing.

Why? Because it's a noobish hallmark that they only have their default R:H and then their new R:S tyres :D
 
I usually use Racing Softs for serious racing but if i want a general mess about i generally use Sports: Medium.
 
I see it as R:h and R:m as the f1 equivalent of options and primes and the R:s as a qualifying tyre for that quick lap due to better grip. But I normally use a R:m for races as im cheapskate.
 
Back