Tyre wear

  • Thread starter Thread starter seadog777
  • 13 comments
  • 1,126 views

seadog777

Premium
Messages
3,014
Malaysia
Iskandar
Messages
seadog777
I thought Racing Hard would last longer than Racing soft.... is that reasonable?

Well I nearly didn't win the A spec Indy 500 because of that assumption!

I managed 29 laps before the car became un-driveable... but with a 24 second lead in the Bentley, I wasn't too fussed. However, I'd forgotten how long it takes to put petrol in....:sick:

By the time I'd got back on the track I was down to 12th again... and I'd put another set of hards on.

The other cars didn't seem to be stopping until at least lap 40 which was a real surprise.

So next pit stop, at about lap 58 when again the car was all over the place, I put softs on. What a difference. 1 second a lap quicker, no noticeable difference in speed of wear, but the important thing... I could keep them going for at least 35 laps!

So, what is the point of Racing Hards??
 
when i did the 1000k suzuka i did a stint on both. when the hard fell off they were gone. not to mention the lap they took to get warm. sucks but softs last as long , dont take as long to warm up and theyre consistant. pitted a lap early and my time never fell off. i made more time pitting than trying to go around the track on ice skates (when the hards fall off)
 
I may be wrong about this, but I think driving style can have a massive impact on tyre wear. Hard Tyres can't be pushed as hard as softs, and it's easier to break traction and damage them. I don't drive nascar though, so different rules may apply.
 
i wondered about that, but i lost so much time on these hards it didnt seem worth it. maybe a circle track has different effects though. IDK.
 
So far as I can figure, racing softs have rediculous amounts of traction to start with, so when you burn the crap out of them, they still have a good reasonable stickiness to them. With hards, the moment they take a hit, your race suffers. I say softs all the way :)

P.S. SOFTS ARENT CHEATING!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Just a thought)
 
I would say they wear about the same, and you get more grip with the softs. Only time to use hards if is they make you and the tires are restricted. $36K is a sound investment indeed!
 
SoCal Senator
I would say they wear about the same, and you get more grip with the softs. Only time to use hards if is they make you and the tires are restricted. $36K is a sound investment indeed!

Oh, and in an unrestricted race, the AIs can run softs too!
 
It took me awhile to figure this out.

Partly because my bf kept saying "but it doesn't work that way". But he was basing it on REAL life, and our experience with GT4. In gt5 it DOES work this way (the wrong way!)

I was confused about how people were getting, just as an example, say 30 laps with their tires without feeling they were going... I thought AM I THAT BAD???

It's because I was using hard or medium tires, and they were using softs!

My bf & I assumed that like in real life, and in gt4, the harder the tire, the longer the wear.
So as a rule, I wouldn't immediately go straight for soft tires. (whether they be sports or slicks)

I think I AM worse than most people with tire wear. But regardless of whether I use hards or mediums, I get more sudden drop off in Gt5, compared to gt4.

By sudden drop-off, I mean. Say I'm doing 20 laps in whatever car on Deep Forest track. With hard tires (racing or sports)... I don't reach peak performance until lap 17, but by 19, it's suddenly TERRIBLE.

I mostly put medium tires on my cars because of this. (either medium sports or medium slicks).
They seem to be a more happy medium. More manageable? Yet not as expensive... and I can still do well.

But I'm starting to think in longer races, you might as well just use softs if they're allowed, because you're not going to get longer wear out of anything else.

I think this issue is related to why some people claim racing soft tires have "unrealistic grip". It's not that they have "unrealistic grip". It's that they have unrealistic tire wear.

You can push the limits of handling on racing softs, just like any other tire. They do not have "infinite grip".
But apparently you can manage to drive on them more indefinitely, than compared to racing hards, or even racing mediums.
So it may seem they have "infinite wear".

So all the arguments about racing softs being "easier" - that's not the fault of anyone's driving skill or lack thereof... it's the fault of the inappropriate tire wear of some tires in the game.

This is why online organized races have tire restrictions and MANDATORY pit stops. I didn't understand before why people needed to be MANDATED into making pit stops on soft tires! I thought - that's silly because on softs, nobody should be able to hold out forever on pitting!
But apparently people who've been doing online organized races a long time know that there will always be one yahoo who knows how to use the flaw in the game's tire wear to their advantage, to avoid pitting at all.
 
Last edited:
I found in my Turbo modded Minolta doing the Grand Valley 300K (overkill I know but I thought LMP's would be taking part) I could do about 5 laps on hards before they became useless. I did 17 on racing softs and I was lapping significantly quicker. Interestingly all the tyres wore out, not just the rears (and I was using ABS 1).
 
I thought Racing Hard would last longer than Racing soft.... is that reasonable?

Yeah, that's a reasonable expectation since that's how it works in the real world. Unfortunately, it's not how it works in the world of GT5. PD needs to take some notes from Codemasters, it would seem.
 
Yeah, that's a reasonable expectation since that's how it works in the real world. Unfortunately, it's not how it works in the world of GT5. PD needs to take some notes from Codemasters, it would seem.

I remember from GT4 / 3 and maybe 2 it worked just like real life!
 
I remember from GT4 / 3 and maybe 2 it worked just like real life!

My bf & I said the same thing.

That's why it was so unexpected a situation!! And difficult to believe.

It's perplexing why they'd get it wrong in the newest game, when it worked normally in the old games.

:crazy: :odd: :irked: ..... :confused:
 
Yeah, softs last longer in the game.

This might be because they slip less. I see every time you lose grip, it takes a chunk out of the meter. This happens more often with the hards, so they wear faster. But this might not be the only reason.
 
Yeah, softs last longer in the game.

This might be because they slip less. I see every time you lose grip, it takes a chunk out of the meter. This happens more often with the hards, so they wear faster. But this might not be the only reason.

The problem is that race hards are like glass their whole tire life.

My bf & I said the same thing.


That's why it was so unexpected a situation!! And difficult to believe.

It's perplexing why they'd get it wrong in the newest game, when it worked normally in the old games.

:crazy: :odd: :irked: ..... :confused:

I wondered this as well. The first tire i bought were race med and hards and wonder why they were shiz compounds afer a few laps.
 
Back