tyre wear

• Thread starter shoeface33
  • 29 comments
shoeface33
Hey guys, been away at uni and my prescious gt5 :( however i am back and have (finally) upgraded to 2.02 and bought the 1st dlc đź‘Ť
My question is when did they increase the tyre wear on the tyres? A set of rs round monza used to last at least 10 laps, now they are half worn after 3. Also have they balanced this on other tyres? E.g. made rh last longer?

RH same as before, RM half durability from RH (before 2.02 were the same), RS don't know myself but heard from other posters here that 2-3 laps maximum is their life (1/4 of RH).
Personally I'd like at least 50% more duration for every kind of them

cheers man, kinda more realistic but doesnt really matter as most online races are only 3 laps long really :P
if its a 6 lap race of spa, that could be bad :S

RH wear about 10% faster that before, RS wear about 120% faster than before. Now RH last roughly twice as long as RS.

R35 GTR TC, mine rips tyres to pieces at Spa very lucky to get in 2 laps and fronts completely gone.
I do like the tyre update but I prefure a little more longevity thru the range, IE R/S maybe 8 laps, R/M 12 laps and R/H 16 laps or so. Not 2,3 and 4 respectively.

Seems pointless to make a change to tyre wear and then decrease the life of them by about 40%... I used to be able to get 10 laps from a set of around Le Mans but now its down to 6 and only 2 of those are "fast" laps...

That I'd appreciate if RS tyres would last same as before and harder tyres would last more. Not the other way 'round they made it...

I completely agree.

Before I could do 3 laps of spa no problem in any car

now, after 2 laps I have to baby the car home. it sucks đź‘Ž

I completely agree.

Before I could do 3 laps of spa no problem in any car

now, after 2 laps I have to baby the car home. it sucks đź‘Ž
...which forces me to make really stupid decision: whether to race with tyre and fuel depletion off (reducing the game experience on NFS level), or pit every other lap (which truly sucks), or race on harder tyres, with which I have less grip, ergo I go slower and as I'm not exactly virtual Micheal Schumacher it makes me lose control over the car, so maybe I'd have to turn the SRF on, and there's again the NFS downgrade. :(

And again, just to exclude any possible confusion: I'm glad there's finally difference between soft and hard tyres in durability, it just happened in diferent direction that I hoped for.

And again, just to exclude any possible confusion: I'm glad there's finally difference between soft and hard tyres in durability, it just happened in diferent direction that I hoped for.

Yh i agree, i think most GT5 players wanted softs to either not change or at most have a little less life (not 50% ) and mediums and hards to have more. Ive been on the fence on wether i think its a good change or not, but the main thing to remeber is everyone is in the same boat and no one has an advantage or disadvantage so in the long run it should make races more interesting ( i hope :indiff: )

Btw wouldnt a slider bar in the setup screen that doesnt change grip levels but adjusts overall tyre endurance ratios been a better idea?, even if there were only 3 presets to the bar, it would keep everyone happier

Yh i agree, i think most GT5 players wanted softs to either not change or at most have a little less life (not 50% ) and mediums and hards to have more. Ive been on the fence on wether i think its a good change or not, but the main thing to remeber is everyone is in the same boat and no one has an advantage or disadvantage so in the long run it should make races more interesting ( i hope :indiff: )
I haven't got a chance to try myself since the update, but those races can also be boring, if everyone goes to pits every other lap.

Btw wouldnt a slider bar in the setup screen that doesnt change grip levels but adjusts overall tyre endurance ratios been a better idea?, even if there were only 3 presets to the bar, it would keep everyone happier
That actually is a good idea!

I was racing online last night and I am a fan of the new tire wear. I found RMs to be my answer. Still grippy but dont blow off the car as quickly. It works well because if you choose to use those softs and dominate the field early, well you had better have a pit strategy or be able to make some awesome saves when those tires lose traction. I personally think they have them degrading so fast is because the majority of racing is short sprints. They obviously want to make people consider their tire choices more carefully.

It is new and different. Put racing meds on a car and actually spend some time practicing on a track to get to know the car. I am personally glad the days of slapping softs on any car and pulling ridiculous feats of grip at every corner for every lap are over :)

I for one am not a fan of the tire change. I think they should of left the Racing Softs the way they were and made the RM and RH tires just last longer. Why would you take a game that players have been playing for over a year now, worked hard to tune and adjust there cars to be competitive in online racing and all of a sudden change it. Some of us have over 1000 cars in our garage and have spent alot of time on them, do they realize how long it takes to retune that many cars and to buy and install new tires on that many cars. Don't get me wrong I like the fact that they are trying to make the game better. RM and RH tires should last longer and should be a option for longer races. But a RS tire that last only 2 to 3 laps not very real. To me 5 lap races and under should not require a pit stop. And don't tell me to just use RM or RH to get more laps. A 5 lap race should be run balls out on the fastest tire and have nothing to do with tire management. For endurance races I can understand tire management,choseing different compounds than would be the key. These are just my opinions your might be different.

Sports soft now out last racing soft
Test results Daytona
RS: 11 Laps 42 .700
SS: 23 Laps 43.200
This is a serious problem
everyone should be complaining

Sports soft now out last racing soft
Test results Daytona
RS: 11 Laps 42 .700
SS: 23 Laps 43.200
This is a serious problem
everyone should be complaining

I think what should be fixed would be the grip level. The grip levels in the SS should be scaled back as to make them less competitive compared to RS.

Or...

What car did you use for the test? What was the aero setting? How heavy was it? How much power did it have? Have you reperformed the test on a track with corners?

Last edited:
Nismo34
No. I think its right. The tyres on your car can go much farther than a set of racing slicks, wouldnt you say?

If racing I would say no is my guess.
I don't have evidence to back that up but regular tyres aren't designed for racing.

If racing I would say no is my guess.
I don't have evidence to back that up but regular tyres aren't designed for racing.

Yes, You have a point. I have retracted that statement as with no proof, I cant really say that, can I?

I would really like it if they would change the tire situation back to what it was before the update i mean really GT5 Sport tires lasting longer than Racing tires i thought this was supposed to be a simulater not just another game id rather play need 4 speed or something. Ive been playing this game almost everyday in between my deployments and you idiots took the realism out of it not to mention made it into a joke thanksÂ…. Sport Hards last longer than Racing Softs LMAO Good Job yall

:mad: I have raced online every day since GT5 was released for at least 4 to 5 hours a day never missing a day. Since the update I have not played online for more that a hour total. They took the wind out of the sails. Fun factor not what it was. Untill they fix the problem will not be playing online which I loved. Have played all Gt games since 1998 but they have forced me to move on and try out other online racing games. Thanks PD for messing up the game. You just took a player of your games for 13 years and crapped :ouch: in his cornflakes.

:mad: I have raced online every day since GT5 was released for at least 4 to 5 hours a day never missing a day. Since the update I have not played online for more that a hour total. They took the wind out of the sails. Fun factor not what it was. Untill they fix the problem will not be playing online which I loved. Have played all Gt games since 1998 but they have forced me to move on and try out other online racing games. Thanks PD for messing up the game. You just took a player of your games for 13 years and crapped :ouch: in his cornflakes.

I agree 100% and am also looking at other online racings games. Forza 4 or a good racing sim for PC. BTW I have also played GT5 since its out and mix with a large GT community online and have also played GT since the very first installment on PSX and I can tell you this move that PD did with tyre wear is the dumbest thing they have ever done.

I agree 100% and am also looking at other online racings games. Forza 4 or a good racing sim for PC. BTW I have also played GT5 since its out and mix with a large GT community online and have also played GT since the very first installment on PSX and I can tell you this move that PD did with tyre wear is the dumbest thing they have ever done.

Thanks for responding MaDHaX I knew I wasn't the only one who felt that way about the tire update.

Great debate/ argument. I'm of the opinion that it makes for a more interesting game in that you now have to consider your tyre options and how you may have to drive the car. For those that don't like it you still have the option to turn it off.
Now, I'm searching for ways to prolong the tyre life. I've tried the obvious ways like driving a little slower and even using ASM. But I'm after some tuning tips that may help get those few extra laps.

I don't think you should have to look for a few extra laps, there's obviously something seriously wrong with tire wear as it is now. Racing tires should last way more than just a few laps, even in F1 some teams use 1 or 2 stop strategies, and those races are much longer than 15 laps! I think something went wrong and hope that PD will fix this issue in the next update. Hope that one comes soon!

I don't think you should have to look for a few extra laps, there's obviously something seriously wrong with tire wear as it is now. Racing tires should last way more than just a few laps, even in F1 some teams use 1 or 2 stop strategies, and those races are much longer than 15 laps! I think something went wrong and hope that PD will fix this issue in the next update. Hope that one comes soon!

Have you driven an F1 with this tyre wear? They are very nice on tyres. 15 laps out of a set of softs is rather reasonable, dont you reckon?

Note: 15 laps at Indy road at race pace 1:11.XXX-1:09.XXX each lap, so definatly not going easy on them...

Last edited:
Clearly what PD has done, is follow the lead of Formula 1 and switched from Michelin to Pirellis. :dunce:

Now, if they continue along this trend, the tyre wear will improve in a few months... :sly:

Well, I tried again using ASM and it made the car slower by as much a 2.5 seconds/ lap. This was using the same tyre. There must be a way of keeping tyre wear to a minimum without losing too much time?

Back