tyres

• Thread starter toe kutter
  • 28 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
toe-kutter-
I usually race below 500pp, usually host my own room 'Gear Jammers' as almost every other low pp room uses racing soft tyres, I cannot race on these and have any enjoyment, you can use the controls as a switch, I used to only race on racing tyres on GT5, maybe it was because I was on a controller and not a wheel, anything below 500pp has to be sports soft at most imo, at what pp do you go to the next level of tyres? do you hate RS like me or love em?

I usually race below 500pp, usually host my own room 'Gear Jammers' as almost every other low pp room uses racing soft tyres, I cannot race on these and have any enjoyment, you can use the controls as a switch, I used to only race on racing tyres on GT5, maybe it was because I was on a controller and not a wheel, anything below 500pp has to be sports soft at most imo, at what pp do you go to the next level of tyres? do you hate RS like me or love em?
I have exactly the same story. Well said.

For me, the transition to using racing tires generally only happens when I use literal racecars. 500 and below? SS, SM, or SH, SS or SM preferred. (I also prefer mid-range PP cars)

I don't hate or love racing soft, I just don't have much need for them. I do like the way they grip for the absurdly overpowered cars though, since they tend to feel like the old GT5 online skating rink when fitted with anything less.

For road cars being driven as road cars, I can't see going beyond SH at any point and am much more inclined to even stick with CS. Grip levels under normal driving conditions are more typical of what I'm used to in driving and hold true even more when the driving surface gets wet; UHP Summer tires (as you'd find on hypercars) offer much more grip in the wet than SH does in the game. But hey, put it where you want it; just bear in mind that open lobbies are inundated with the RSers and it seems that's what everyone expects to have access to.

You have to race with the same grade of tyre otherwise you are asking for some serious meetings in the braking area.

Personally a harder tyre requires a bit more of a driver. Often a track can be revitalised with a step down in tyres as you, as a driver, will have to think much more about corners which you took flat out or you could ignore the exit as the rear tyre would grip for you.

RS tyres are faster, but the drive can feel a smidge dull.

Can't stand RS tyres. Try something like a fully tuned Diablo GT2. Horrible to drive on RS. I maintain that a 1000BHP GT2 on SS tyres is easier and more enjoyable to drive than the same car with 600BHP on RS tyres.

I don't "hate" racing tires on street cars, I just think that for me, it turns what might otherwise be a simulation into an arcade game and that's not what I want when I fire up a driving or racing simulator. I stuck mostly to street cars in GT6 and mostly on comforts, regardless of the PP.

I normally use SS tires with street cars but sometimes I use RH tyres sometimes. With racing cars, its RH or RS tires.

I use CM tyres for most street cars, and CH for older cars. I only use CS and SH for the more powerful cars (like the Lambo Aventador).

I run Stock rooms (no tuning), & the PP/tyre ranges I generally use are; 350-399pp = CH, 400-449pp = CM, 450-499pp = CS, & 500-550pp = SH.

👍

With tuning, there's usually plenty of grip/traction for the following in online lobbies, some track/car/pp-tyre combo's can be a bit tough with 100% throttle and brake though:

up to 400pp = CH / CM
401-450pp = CM / CS
450-500pp = CS / SH (SH are good up to 550pp imho)
500-600pp = SH / SM / SS (SM & SS god for 600pp racecars)
600pp & > = RH / RM / RS

This isn't just for people with a wheel & pedals, I race with guys who still use auto gearbox and pad. Some cars are more suitable than others i.e. high pp and low tyres with a 2 wheel drive car on low top speed (short gear ratio's) can sometimes have traction issues in lower gears..

I'm a bit caught here, you see, I love the 450pp Nurb RS online rooms - though I haven't been online for a while. But I never use RS apart from that. Its SS, SM, SH usually on mid range cars and CM/CS for lower range cars and RH for LMPs and higher. I have fallen for the 20 miles of Willow event and have tested lots of cars with the sports tire range. That event used to frustrate me, but now its real edge of the seat stuff - one 'off' and that's it, over! A real lesson in squirting the gas to take advantage of controlled oversteer to allow earlier acceleration out of corners - balanced with tire wear!!

How strange—I cannot imagine using anything but RS for any car, any track.

They grip so much it takes all the character out of a car.

Do you really need slick tires on a road car? Like really?

I think people who are new to the series would go for those tires all the time because they're the easiest to control, almost arcade-like in the way they handle, which would be familiar to the likes of Forza/NFS players.

The only time in real life where slicks are really used (racing tires in GT6) is for fully-fledged racing cars, F1 etc. or a high horsepower time attack car, but even most of those (600hp+ skylines etc.) I've seen use semi-slicks, close to SH/SM in game.

Streeto

The answer is yes, I run a Toyo R888 for the street and a Hoosier full slick on the track. The car (in my signature)
is a front drive 1900 pound car with anywhere from 280whp to 350whp depending on what boost I am running. The Toyos are fine for the street but on a tight technical course do not let me put down the power and the Hoosiers become a
necessity. When at the track, I noticed that about 85% of the vehicles present run a full slick weather it be a 150Hp car to a 800hp car. For those wanting the highest level of grip to be competitive, this seems to be a common choice from my experiences. The answer for in game is also yes, I do run r/s tires on my cars.

In real life most track racing categories use slicks ( not all ) but you know what I mean. BTCC, GT3, GT300, GT500, WTCC, plus a few feeder series just to name a few & some of them aren't super powered, they've only got from 200bhp to 400bhp but they want maximum grip. I prefer sports tyres myself but i can't get on with comforts at all.

I was just referring to time attack, auto cross and general road course use. I am not a professional driver and do it for fun as it is more of a hobby and of course for the love of cars.

Yeah, I also tried the comforts and I am sure it would have been amusing to watch. I will admit I have a few cars in the 450pp to 500pp range on s/s tires and really enjoy them but most of my cars are on r/s as it is what I am used to.

For all those who talk about having your road cars wanting to feel more like real life regarding the tyres you choose & having a feel for the car I presume you're running ASM, ABS, TC & possibly some ESP just like your real life counterparts aswell ?
Because as fun as it may seem some of your real life counterparts would handle like crap without these electronic devices with the tyres you choose for them no ?

The only aid I run is abs 1. In gt5 I used to run traction control on 1 or even 2 for high horsepower non-race cars with no aero but find I don't need to in gt6.

I am also a ds3 pad user and have been since the first Gran Turismo came out.

I've never driven a car on spirt/race tires or raced on a real track or in a real event before so I can't give a absolute answer on realism, but strictly from an observation pov (I've witnessed races in real time and in video to get some basic idea) I go for RH down to CS. Like a few others have mentioned, depending on the car type.

Race cars- SS/RH

Super cars- SH/SM/SS

Sports cars- CS/SS

Modded cars- SH/SM/SS

Streeto

The answer is yes, I run a Toyo R888 for the street and a Hoosier full slick on the track. The car (in my signature)
is a front drive 1900 pound car with anywhere from 280whp to 350whp depending on what boost I am running. The Toyos are fine for the street but on a tight technical course do not let me put down the power and the Hoosiers become a
necessity. When at the track, I noticed that about 85% of the vehicles present run a full slick weather it be a 150Hp car to a 800hp car. For those wanting the highest level of grip to be competitive, this seems to be a common choice from my experiences. The answer for in game is also yes, I do run r/s tires on my cars.
And that Toyo slick is probably equivalent to SM tires in the game. The labels they give tires in GT are ludicrous and nowhere close to their real life counterparts.

The Toyo R888 is categorized as a street legal competition tire. I would agree with Johnnypenso that it would fall in the
SM to SS range. After posting yesterday, I went home and tried out more cars with sport tires and am happy to report that I am glad I did. There is definitely a more lively feeling with some cars, and then others were worse. So now I have to go back and retune so I can get a proper evaluation on this.

All in all just want to say thank you to the folks in this thread for opening my eyes to something I have not really tried
out yet.

I am still going to run RS on certain 1000hp cars that don't have aero as I don't run any aids and use a ds3, but some of the lower PP cars I will be converting to sports and retuning.

:cheers:

I think the tires in GT need a full overhaul in general, it's far too generic and confusing.

PD are partnered with particular tire companies right?

How hard would it be to implement real tire compounds?

Don't even get me started on tire width etc.

Kaz clearly doesn't want to make it too in-depth for the "casuals" as he mentioned a GT "Pro" version being a possibility a few months ago with deeper tuning, but you're marketing your game as a simulator, you should at least have a good selection of REAL tires with more options for dimensions etc; as tires are one of the most important things in racing.

So many things PD does or doesn't do really grinds me gears... (no pun intended)

....................I've honestly never tried to slap a set of racing tyres on a road car in GT6 yet. Even Sport Medium tyres give off such ridiculous grip I haven't had any real reason to try. Sure I do fit SS on really powerful cars because I suck and can't control 'em all that well but I mostly stick with SH.
As an aside, the lap time improvements that comes with each tyre "upgrades" to me at least, are just a little off.
I've experienced over 3 seconds quicker lap time on Silverstone International with Jag XJ220 when fitted with SS. That can't be realistic.....is it?? :confused:

Back