UAW Contracts Reveal New Product Details: Corvette Gets DCT, Hybrid Zetas, Ultra V8

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 20 comments

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
Autoblog
After the UAW leadership sat down with regional and local leaders in Detroit on Friday to review the tentative agreement with GM, a list of future plant assignments was leaked. Part of the contract included commitments from GM to assign new work to sixteen assembly plants over the next few years. Several platforms that have been up in the air showed up on the list. One of the most important that has been the subject of some speculation recently is the Chevy Volt.

It had been thought that the Volt would be built in Lordstown, OH alongside the next-generation Cobalt, since it's derived from the same Delta platform. The plant list shows the Volt and a Delta-based vehicle called MPV7 (seven-seat MPV?) being built in Detroit at the Hamtramck plant after the Cadillac DTS is discontinued. It also lists 2010 as Volt's start date. Lordstown, meanwhile, is slated to get a Gamma plaform car in 2010 and an Alpha in 2011. Gamma is a small car platform that should be the basis for the next generation Opel Corsa, which is widely-expected to be offered in the US. Alpha is a compact RWD platform expected to spawn a smaller Cadillac below the CTS and possibly a replacement for the Pontiac G6. It looks 2009-2012 is going to be an extremely busy time for GM engineers with a ton of new product.

So, for those who don't know, we will have the following:

copy-of-torana_concept_003.jpg

The Alpha-based G5/G6 and BLS

corsavxr_1_560px.jpg

The Gamma-based Corsa Replacement

Chevrolet_Volt_Concept.jpg

The Chevrolet Volt, in Detroit no-less!

Yes, I am very excited. The next few years are going to be very exciting indeed!

Chevrolet_Volt_Concept.jpg

That's actually being made? Nice.

You didn't know? GM is already advertising for it...

===

The big news is all about these new models actually being built in the US, well, at least in my book. I think its awesome that the Volt will be built in Detroit, which kinda shows that it is still alive and well. Other than that, this MPV7 model does lead one to believe that the Zafira is on its way across the pond as well... Which is awesome.

When GM listens to its customers, they may be surprised to find it won't be hard to sell cars at all...

This thread, needs this list from Left Lane News.

Product commitments:
# Cadillac CTS Coupe (CTC) and Wagon to arrive in 2009
# Two Zeta platform Cadillacs set for 2011.
# Chevrolet Lambda crossover beginning in 2011
# Next-generation Corvette and Cadillac XLR coming in 2012.
# Next-generation GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook, Buick Enclave, and Chevrolet version in 2012
# Chevrolet Volt beginning in 2010
# Global Alpha RWD (2 variants) beginning in 2011
# Next-generation "C3XX" full-sized trucks to replace GMT 900 truck beginning in 2013
# Hummer H3 successor in 2011
# Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky continue until 2012
# Pontiac G6 continues through 2013
# Cadillac DTS discontinued in 2010; Current Buick Lucerne either discontinued or moved to other plant.
# Global Delta MPV7 launch in 2009
# Global Epsilon Chevrolet beginning in 2012
# Global Epsilon Buick and Saturn beginning in 2009

Quite right, I completely forgot to post that up...

Cadillac CTS Coupe (CTC) and Wagon to arrive in 2009

This is pretty important to say the least, particularly the CTC model. I'm interested to see how it would look, furthermore, how well it would stack up against the CLK and whatnot. The thought of a CTC FE3 with the DIG V6 is indeed pants-tightening...

Two Zeta platform Cadillacs set for 2011.

My guess is that one is a STS replacement, the other being some kind of super-luxury model... Probably the long-rumored ULS.

Next-generation Corvette and Cadillac XLR coming in 2012

Looks like my time window estimations were in fact correct, however, the larger question is whether or not they go FM or MR...

Next-generation GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook, Buick Enclave, and Chevrolet version in 2012

This does seem really early to update, but then again, when they are by-far some of the best things GM has going for them right now, it makes sense.

Chevrolet Volt beginning in 2010

w00tage! In Detroit no less!

Global Alpha RWD (2 variants) beginning in 2011

This is something they need to get on ASAP, and I'm happy to see that it is the case for the most part.

Cadillac DTS discontinued in 2010; Current Buick Lucerne either discontinued or moved to other plant

I say its a good move, switch them both out for Zeta-based successors...

Global Delta MPV7 launch in 2009

Say hello to the Saturn Zafira!

Global Epsilon Buick and Saturn beginning in 2009

Read EpII LaCrosse and EpII Vectra/Insignia/Aura by this time next year...

You didn't know? GM is already advertising for it...

They're already advertising it when it is only being built in 2010? It will look outdated by next year, nevermind when you see one n the road in 3 years. There goes millions of dollars worth of hype.

:lol:

First you guys celebrated the arrival of the Astra, and now the arrival of the Corsa!

Hey, those are some of the best cars we have in those segments now. It seems that the US car market really died when the SUV craze was going on. It is pretty sad how the US and UK opinions of the car are so different.

w00tage! In Detroit no less!

Um? Do we want cars to be built in the US or not? First, in the UAW strike thread, we say that GM should be able to close plants here and move jobs elsewhere and then here we celebrate that another car is being built in Detroit.

I am glad that Michigan plants have new products lined up. And does Gm ever have any down time? I remember during their American Revolution time or something they introduced 12 models in 24 months or something. It looks like we have a lot more coming in the next few years, and I feel like GM never did stop introducing stuff after that "revolution." I guess it is a sign of success. That can only be good.

:lol:

First you guys celebrated the arrival of the Astra, and now the arrival of the Corsa!

Well, it is not the current Corsa. It will be the next-generation model, I believe based (loosely) on the next-generation Delta II chassis (see Astra, Cobalt, etc). The cause for excitement, more or less, is that America will finally have a sub-compact that is worth a damn against the Fit and Versa. The Aveo is a joke compared to those two, no matter how cheap GM sells them...

MOAR!

Late last Friday after the local union officials got to hear the details about the new GM-UAW contract details started emerging about future product plans. It looks like part of the cost for the company to get the union to make some concessions was to commit new products to a bunch of plants. At first we only heard about the assembly plants with the news that the Volt would be produced in Detroit and the small RWD Alpha platform would go to Lordstown OH. Now more of the contract is coming out including commitments to parts plants.

Of interest to Corvette fans is a line item for the Toledo OH transmission plant which reads "RWD DCT for NG Corvette will be allocated (2012)". DCT typically refers to dual clutch transmission. That means the C7 'Vette will almost surely get a DCT. Another product for Toledo and the Baltimore transmission plant is the RWD Gen II Hybrid transmission for 2011/12. This could be an updated, and hopefully lower cost version, of the Two-Mode that could be applied to other applications. Hmmm... do I hear hybrid Zetas? One plant that isn't getting new product is the Livonia, MI engine plant that produces the Northstar V-8s used in Cadillacs when that engine dies in 2010. GM announced a new V-8 engine earlier this year that would be built at the Tonawanda, NY engine plant and the Livonia plant will close.

Well, first, closing the Livonia plant isn't cool... But, whatevs...

Anyway:

- DCT Corvette in 2012? Yes please! Stick a few more bonus points in the Corvette camp, this should be a good addition indeed!

- More hybrids? I guess? I'm not a fan of the setup, but other people are, and a hybrid Zeta model "makes sense" I guess...

- Ultra V8? Yes please! I need more power in my Cadillacs!

Well, first, closing the Livonia plant isn't cool... But, whatevs...

Too bad. Michigan needs that.

- DCT Corvette in 2012? Yes please! Stick a few more bonus points in the Corvette camp, this should be a good addition indeed!

This sounds totally awesome! A more techno vette? Can only be good. Just as long as they maintain a regular, non-computerized model available. I'm sure the Z07 will satisfy that. How will this affect price? And does GM already have a system being used or is this something you might not want to buy for a little while?

- More hybrids? I guess? I'm not a fan of the setup, but other people are, and a hybrid Zeta model "makes sense" I guess...

:yuck: At least they aren't Priuses, but they are still hybrids.:indiff:

- Ultra V8? Yes please! I need more power in my Cadillacs!

I'm down! More power is always better.

It looks like GM being forced to keep their production here is a good thing...

This sounds totally awesome! A more techno vette? Can only be good. Just as long as they maintain a regular, non-computerized model available. I'm sure the Z07 will satisfy that. How will this affect price? And does GM already have a system being used or is this something you might not want to buy for a little while?

The rumors keep flying about the Corvette (today, its XWD on the 2012 C7 and a rumored move to Kappa given that they are moving to Bowling Green in 2009), so its hard to sort everything out. The DCT seems like a certainty, and given that GM is usually pretty hard-pressed to design a bad transmission (ie, they're all usually pretty good), I wouldn't have any concerns about quality or performance.

And price?

Its hard to say. GM will likely over-develop it making it expensive at first, but they will probably make it adaptable so they can build a ka-jillion and make it low-cost in the long-run (much like their V8 program).

The rumors keep flying about the Corvette (today, its XWD on the 2012 C7 and a rumored move to Kappa given that they are moving to Bowling Green in 2009), so its hard to sort everything out. The DCT seems like a certainty, and given that GM is usually pretty hard-pressed to design a bad transmission (ie, they're all usually pretty good), I wouldn't have any concerns about quality or performance.

And price?

Its hard to say. GM will likely over-develop it making it expensive at first, but they will probably make it adaptable so they can build a ka-jillion and make it low-cost in the long-run (much like their V8 program).

All this makes me a little skeptical. True, it would be awesome for the Corvette to be able to compete with an Aston Martin with all of the things GM could do to it, but personally, I would rather have the $50,000 sports car that can beat a $100,000 911 like what the Corvette traditionally is. All of this technology just makes me feel that they are working on a $100,000 DB9 fighter.

An AWD Vette with a dual clutch gearbox would be awesome. I just really hope the do NOT make it MR.

To me, a Corvette is a cheap, rear drive car with a big V-8 up front that can chase down cars costing twice as much. If GM made it MR or AWD, it just wouldn't be a Corvette in my book. And the only way I would keep my faith in GM would be if most of the vettes were still FR standard with a manual available.

Manuals aren't exactly practical in sports cars anymore, especially when they are quicker without them and get better fuel mileage. Just have a dual clutch with flappy paddles and I'll be happy.

Manuals aren't exactly practical in sports cars anymore, especially when they are quicker without them and get better fuel mileage. Just have a dual clutch with flappy paddles and I'll be happy.

But everybody loves a good manual. It jsut makes you feel that much more in control of the car. Not every Corvette has to be a stick, but I would expect that GM at least offer it as one.

Quite right. No matter how "out-of-date" manual transmissions may be, there isn't any substitutions for it, particularly in a Corvette.

Again the with the rumors, people say that they'll offer both an MR and FM Corvette in 2012, which seems reasonable, but then again, I doubt they'd want to split the "brand." Keep the Corvette FM, make the Cadillac MR, and the world will be happy.

Quite right. No matter how "out-of-date" manual transmissions may be, there isn't any substitutions for it, particularly in a Corvette.

I'm sure there are quite a few cars out there deserving of a manual, but yeah. The Corvette is right up there. And look at Ferrari. And Mercedes. And Lexus. All computers. They aren't all about brute force any more, so much as computing power. That isn't what the car is all about. Especially cars like the Corvette, Viper and others.

Back