UK Wild Card Events

GTP_PrudentBear
Some information on an alternative route to the UK national final for visitors to the Cholmondeley Pageant of Power.

"Visitors will also get the chance to take part in a Nissan/PS3 GT Academy 'Wild Card' event - many PlayStations, big screens, race seats and force-feedback steering wheels open to the public, and one winner per day will be put forward for the UK national final of GT Academy."

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25695

In the Portuguese press release of 2012 GT Academy, it was said "3 Portuguese people will go to Silverstone". But once we dont have access to any regulations (YET...) of the contest, we didn't knew for sure what was that all about.

Some of we Portuguese players wondered about the fact that Spain & Portugal have been put in the same region since 2008 or so... So we didn't understand the press release's quote about the "3" thing.

So we asked in the Playstation Official site (portuguese one) to the Team if they could get more information from SCE itself. And they came with this:

"SCE Portugal's response is that Portugal will have a national final with 32 players, 16 with the best times online, and 16 chosen from the a set of live events. The final three winners who will go to Silverstone. This all just talking about Portugal."

I know its not about UK, but can add a little more info to you guys. :)

I can confirm the 16 online best times and 16 chosen from live events, through various sources. Per region the best 6 players advance to the finals (maybe 2 Belgium, 2 Netherlands and 2 Luxembourg). The communication also states a possible super ticket that can be won at a live event that gives right to advance to Silverstone directly, but that is not further described.

Last week we visited several "live events" at Nissan Dealerships (Netherlands) were they supposed to be kept, unfortunatly the poor communication from Sony/Nissan about the GT Academy resulted that dealership doesn't know what to do exactly. He just received a PS3 gamepod with GT5 on it without further instructions. And yes it was a pod with a DS3, not even a racing rig.

Wonder will Ireland get one? We have a big F1 event in Dublin on June 3rd, maybe they could tie something in with that.

With regard to 16 from leader boards and 16 from live events, that seems like an awful lot of people for a national final. Getting through 22 players last year took almost a full day. Then again they could run a different format this time around, who knows.

Wonder will Ireland get one? We have a big F1 event in Dublin on June 3rd, maybe they could tie something in with that.

With regard to 16 from leader boards and 16 from live events, that seems like an awful lot of people for a national final. Getting through 22 players last year took almost a full day. Then again they could run a different format this time around, who knows.

I'm guessing as they want so many new drivers in it this year that it will be a different format :S? I just hope they don't run races at the finals to me it causes controversy every year and it's not fair on anyone running in a race that has it. But 32 people is a big number, would be interesting to see how they run it for sure!!

Edit: Hmm this is pretty close to me, I might end up going to this if it saves me a whole load of time in the last 2 weeks for sure! I do love live events with GT, and even host a live event at the moment with GT5 at college (My wheel/PS3/Game) as an enrichment activity, and the students love it :)! (I work there :P)

Back