Ultrawide monitor vs VR?

• Thread starter Frizbe
  • 2 comments

Which one should I look into to spend more on?

• VR

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Ultrawide

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
United States
Albuquerque, NM
Frizbe
Darth Frizbe
Hey guys so I've been given the go ahead from the wife to get a new ultrawide monitor up to around $1600, so I've been looking at the $1900 Acer X35 (if you don't push it are you really married? :lol:)

One of the things that keeps coming to the back of my mind though is how am I going to use the monitor? I have a TR80 cockpit on order for my wheel and the racing sims but I also play flight sims and some shooters, I'm not convinced the cockpit will be comfortable enough to play things like Destiny for a while in so I've been looking at ways to move the monitor between the 'pit and desk, I already have a monitor arm that I use which in theory should be enough to allow me to swing the monitor from the desk to the 'pit if I move the arm to the side of my desk. But then I think about what if I go a little cheaper on the monitor and get something around $600-800, and then get a pre-order for that new HP VR head set that seems like it will be really good. I had a PSVR a while a go that I liked and with my 2070 super and eventual upgrade on my GPU I'm thinking I won't have trouble with running VR effectively.

My pros list for just the monitor and figuring out moving it are that I use a Fanatec Formula V2 wheel, with VR I'm afraid I'll be hitting the wrong buttons since I just got this thing, and then button boxes are useless to me in VR. Plus not all the games I play are in VR yet (F1 2020...... :banghead:) Another thing is with 3 kids and a wife while it is annoying to have to get out of my current racing seat when they need something I can only imagine it will be 10 times worse having to undo a headset. Plus then I have the same screen for all my games, and it's full on blind you HDR.

For the pros in VR, its VR first, and seems like I'd be able to have a pretty good VR experience as well. Also with VR most of the games I want to play support it pretty good, Elite Dangerous, X-Plane Assetto Corsa and iRacing being the ones I would use it the most for.

Another thing, is while I I've found and like the specs on the X35 I'm not sure that's the one for me, it looks pretty great but if I go ultrawide is there another screen I should look at? Not the G9 though, while that curve is sexy I will have to be able to move it and I'm not on board with the 10 zone dimming either.

My take on it is if you use your PC for (paid) work that would benefit from an ultrawide then go for that, otherwise get a VR headset. Not enough games support ultrawide resolutions for it to be truly worthwhile as a lot of stuff will mean you have to drop down to 16:9, which will probably bug you considering the cost, but VR is like an entirely new platform and it's really quite difficult to articulate how big a deal it is until you've tried it for yourself. The sense of scale and distance is a huge boost to racing sims and some of the gamier games like Pavlov, Alyx, etc. are a ridiculously huge amount of fun.

I suppose if you only want to play sims then that does close the gap a bit as they typically all support ultrawide and they don't all support VR and an ultrawide is going to be more comfortable for long sessions and less hassle to set up. But I'd still go with VR.

Back