Unable to even get Bronze in the 1st School Challenge

United States
United States
For some reason, no matter what settings I use, launching that 1st car feels incredibly slow and frustrating. What else can I try as no matter what Revs I use or even if switching to a manual box, I can't finish it in under 16secs. It's not the joypad I'm using (Stock PS4) so what am I missing?

Just tried the 1st Campaign mission and that appears to be the same, throttle in hard to the point I'm stressing the joypad and still the revs just hold steady with no noticeable increase. Starting to think I've been conned here.

Just tried the 1st Campaign mission and that appears to be the same, throttle in hard to the point I'm stressing the joypad and still the revs just hold steady with no noticeable increase. Starting to think I've been conned here.
What do you mean by hold steady?
Does the bar on the right in the HUD show full throttle?

Traction control on max setting, still the same result. Revs don't increase and the car doesn't even get into 2nd gear with an Autobox?

For some reason, no matter what settings I use, launching that 1st car feels incredibly slow and frustrating. What else can I try as no matter what Revs I use or even if switching to a manual box, I can't finish it in under 16secs. It's not the joypad I'm using (Stock PS4) so what am I missing?

You shouldn't even be messing with the stock settings of tests, leave them at default until you can understand how to play without them. There is nothing wrong with utilizing the tools already in hand. The first car is slow due to it's normal street tune it's not a race tuned car.

Also keep an eye on the throttle input if that bar does not go all the way to the top then your controller is probably broken. There shouldn't be anything wrong with the test itself, especially if you played in other modes. The car is slow, it's upshift and clutch engage and disengage is slow...if there was a clutch you could rev match but there isn't one. Set the transmission to auto and leave TCS on 3 and just hold the gas and watch the on sceen readout. If that throttle bar doesn't max out when you are fully pressing the button then it's the controller trigger.

Edit: If you are harsh with the triggers you can break the rubber casing and cause the triggers to never give a fully depressed result, which will never allow you to give full throttle.

Last edited:
Traction control on max setting, still the same result. Revs don't increase and the car doesn't even get into 2nd gear with an Autobox?
I just did the test with TC on 5 and got another gold.
It sounds like you have a controller issue.

The throttle position indicator shows full initially but as soon as the green light is given, the revs drop off to hardly anything as if I've let go of the trigger. I've never had such an issue before and I've been playing GT since it's first iteration. I find it hard to believe it's the joypad as it works perfectly playing Battlefield 1.

The throttle position indicator shows full initially but as soon as the green light is given, the revs drop off to hardly anything as if I've let go of the trigger. I've never had such an issue before and I've been playing GT since it's first iteration. I find it hard to believe it's the joypad as it works perfectly playing Battlefield 1.
Skip to 1:13

Can you post a video?

Well **** my tall hat.

It is the Joypad trigger. Just tried my spare 'battle damaged' pad (wounds sustained from it meeting a wall at a decent velocity) and it behaves as advertised. Even got a Gold in it.

Perfect justification to the Wife to upgrade to a PS4 Pro then........

That might be why a couple of months ago, I had to adjust the trigger sensitivity for Battlefield 1 when firing weapons but then I blamed it on the update.....

Glad we were able to help. Welcome to :gtplanet:
Try not to double post. :cheers:

Back