Unbiased opinions

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 9 comments

Corsa

Premium
United States
United States
Is what I'm looking for.
I've read the review here which was good, then I've read hundreds of good and bad comments around many forums.

I play alot of R3E but would like a fun good looking racer for offline only, I'd like to hear some 2018 opinions.
I've never had an Xbox, will I need to create a Microsoft account... Is it free?
I do not have a high end PC, but it manages most other titles on ultra @60fps+ (g4560 gtx1050ti oc) using the T150 wheel.

I love AC and R3E on SRS , just want a solid offline racer to not take so seriously, relax and have fun with.

Do you recommend it for $60?

I play alot of R3E but would like a fun good looking racer for offline only, I'd like to hear some 2018 opinions.
I've never had an Xbox, will I need to create a Microsoft account... Is it free?
I do not have a high end PC, but it manages most other titles on ultra @60fps+ (g4560 gtx1050ti oc) using the T150 wheel.
As an offline racing game I'd say Forza 7 is pretty good if you haven't played Forza 6.

It has a pretty extensive career mode with 5 Major Championships, each of which has around 6 or 7 Division series (with 4-7 races each) and 3 Showcases which give exclusive prize cars. This opens up even more when you finish the Forza Drivers Cup as you then get access to the Elite Championships which adds more events and showcases.

The career mode is also highly customizable allowing you to of course set the AI difficulty but also the length of the races. Standard is the average GT race length of around 10 minutes per race, Long puts it up to 20-30 minute races and Very Long gets into Endurance territory with races lasting over an hour.

The physics are pretty good in that they're very accessible while still being somewhat realistic.

I don't know how it is on PC but I imagine a Microsoft account would be required to set leaderboard times, participate in rivals events and to play online.

Main issue I have with FM7 is that around a quarter of the car list is locked behind community events with around 100 or so cars still being unavailable to anyone, although every car can still be used as a rental in quick race.

Near as I can tell your machine should handle the game easily but it needs Windows 10 to run the app unfortunately so if you haven't upgraded I'm afraid it's a dealbreaker.

There's a short demo available but the handling of the Porsche has been improved a lot since its release so don't let it put you off.

Last edited:
Near as I can tell your machine should handle the game easily but it needs Windows 10 to run the app unfortunately so if you haven't upgraded I'm afraid it's a dealbreaker.

There'sa short demo available but the handling of the Porsche has been improved a lot since its release so don't let it put you off.

I have Windows 10.
I'm glad you mentioned the demo as I played some last night and was a bit put off with the Porsche.
My thoughts were it looks great but the Semi handled better than the Porsche.
I really liked the lighting, standing water and reflection looks true to life even noticed the clouds moving with very good sunset tones.
Quite impressed visually, if it drives decently with this T150 I will pick it up.

The Porsche in the demo is wonky. The same car in the game is much better, although I don't like the car that much. I'd rather run the GT3RS or the slightly older '14 (I think) GT2RS.

Make an XBL account via PC. It should be free there and you'd side step the need to get an Xbox One. The PC version is cross play compatible, so you'd still be able to go head to head with the console players in Rivals, which is kind of a single player/leader board event thing. It's not single player, but it's not wheel to wheel and it's pretty fun to compare yourself to the different leader boards they have available.

I complain a lot about Forza. I admit that I am jaded in some areas, but putting my nitpicking aside Forza is still a great, light-weight sim. I've spent more time playing Forza than AC and R3E. Not because those sims are bad, but because Forza is fun.

As far as the wheel goes, the actual game will feel a whole lot better than the demo. Yes a lot of settings that are in the demo can also be found in the game, but the game receives updates while the demo hasn't received any (AFAIK). On top of that there are plenty of helpful suggestions and guides in the FFB wheel thread.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/forza-7-pc-wheel-impressions-settings-guide-updated.359010/

I think Forza Horizon is better suited for players who want a "relaxing" car game alongside the more serious simulators. Over the past months I have played AC, PC2, FH3 and FM7. The latter doesn't really bring much to the table other than the largest car list and some striking annoyances.

@Corsa - I know you've already read the review, but with a solid six months in on the game now, I thought I'd offer some updated thoughts:
  • I stand by the statement that if you want the classic GT experience, FM7 is the best modern game to do it.
  • That being said, the issue that arises there is that, in 2018, maybe you don't. Since GT6 — which in itself felt like a bit of a half-hearted attempt at the classic formula — so many other racing/sim games have shown up and blown the genre wide open. Despite there being so many quality titles out there these days, there's actually a lot that separates them.
  • The physics are realistic enough for most. If you go in expecting something even close to PCARS2/AC, you'll be disappointed. But you knew that already. There's still not quite enough grip for race cars, but I find cars going over their grip threshold actually feels pretty realistic. If that makes any sense!
  • I think @Nielsen hits on a solid point: a lot of gamers want a healthy dose of escapism with their driving games. For them, FH3 is "close enough" in terms of being realistic without feeling shackled to said realism. That's sort of FM7's biggest issue: it follows quite possibly the best arcade racer of the generation. In-house fighting.
  • Also, FM6 was a really, really solid title. I sunk far more time into that, six months in, than I have so far with FM7. Part of that is the sheer quality of games that came out right around it, sure, but FM7 feels more like an incremental step compared to how FM6 was over FM5.
  • From a sheer cars/tracks combo, I feel like FM7 is still worth it. Every time I load it up, I think of new combos I want to try.
  • In terms of wheel implementation, I know that on the Xbox, it's the best FM title I've played. It's still not up there with the best, but it actually resembles a car now. :P

The physics are realistic enough for most. If you go in expecting something even close to PCARS2/AC, you'll be disappointed. But you knew that already. There's still not quite enough grip for race cars, but I find cars going over their grip threshold actually feels pretty realistic. If that makes any sense!
I very much agree here, Sure Forza don't aim for the hyper-realism of PCARS2 or Assetto, but that is part of why I like it. Forza 7 provides a near perfect balance of realism accessibility and fun that make the core driving experience the most enjoyable of all the racing games I have played in the past several years.

Latest Posts

Back