Understanding the dynamics of long turns

GrumpyOldMan

Premium
United States
Southern California
dagware
I've been trying to figure out how to word this question, but I can't come up with something I'm happy with, so I'll just wing it.

I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to negotiate long, sweeping turns. I mean, the type where you come in hot, slow down somewhere in the middle, then speed back up to come out the other side. Obviously I watch other people's replays, so I end up with a general idea of what to do. But I don't understand how to figure it out on my own without a lot of trial and error, and even then, it's mostly a crap shoot. And oftentimes when I do something just a little wrong, it has a much larger impact than I can understand.

For example, I'll find myself accelerating out too early, which either causes me to have to slow a little coming out the other side, or I never get going fast enough. Or I slow down too much towards the middle before I start accelerating again, and I come out just fine but not nearly fast enough.

What are the dynamics in play here? Anyone understand my question and can help? Or know of some good videos on the subject? Thanks.

The problem is, it entirely depends on the radius, actual shape, and road banking. Then the car you're driving has its own limits.

Back