Understeer?

• Thread starter Gt_usv67
  • 12 comments
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
Hi
So I've been noticing something playing with a controller.

In long races especially, the few first laps are great but after a while at some corners I start noticing that I have insane amounts of understeer. And by that I mean I have my joystick turned all the way to the right/left but by the red dot on screen the wheels do not turn all the way by an inch or sometimes even quarter of the way.

What's the whole idea of having this programmed in and how do I avoid this giving me issues.

Sidenote this happens in semi fast flowing corners as well as super tight slow corner where my car is almost at a standstill but still won't turn, wtf haha? It doesn't make sense in a realistic sense to me so I'm open to any explanation.

Maybe change the CSA setting?

hqdefault.jpg

・Countersteering Assistance

Set the strength of the countersteering assistance feature, which automatically rights the car when it has oversteered and its rear end has swung out. At the "Weak" setting, a certain amount of oversteer is permitted. At the "Strong" setting, even a minimal amount of oversteer will activate the system, enabling a stable driving experience.

Hi
So I've been noticing something playing with a controller.

In long races especially, the few first laps are great but after a while at some corners I start noticing that I have insane amounts of understeer. And by that I mean I have my joystick turned all the way to the right/left but by the red dot on screen the wheels do not turn all the way by an inch or sometimes even quarter of the way.

What's the whole idea of having this programmed in and how do I avoid this giving me issues.

Sidenote this happens in semi fast flowing corners as well as super tight slow corner where my car is almost at a standstill but still won't turn, wtf haha? It doesn't make sense in a realistic sense to me so I'm open to any explanation.

I have noticed this too. In a race one lap I will have chronic understeer. TBH I put it down to not being as good as I thought I was and inconsistent. You may be overdriving the car try being calmer and work back up from there.

Do you have CSA on?
Don't believe so isn't it always off in daily races

I have noticed this too. In a race one lap I will have chronic understeer. TBH I put it down to not being as good as I thought I was and inconsistent. You may be overdriving the car try being calmer and work back up from there.
But the thing is understeer where you're turning all the way but due to speed in the corner the car will understeer. The question is why won't the wheel turn all the way as shown by the red dot. I've never seen this happen to wheel users on YouTube so it's seen in controller uses. I've read others who've noticed this as well. One suggestion was to change pov and adjust sensitivity in the camera. Can't say if it has any effect though since I haven't tried it long enough.

My first thought is tire wear, as worn tires provide less grip but the whole red steering dot confuses me a little. Do you happen to have a replay saved that shows it happening?
Yes it is strange almost like a byproduct of some other issue in using controller in sim races. I do have some replays I'll try post a YouTube link once I get around to saving the parts

Maybe change the CSA setting?

hqdefault.jpg

・Countersteering Assistance

Set the strength of the countersteering assistance feature, which automatically rights the car when it has oversteered and its rear end has swung out. At the "Weak" setting, a certain amount of oversteer is permitted. At the "Strong" setting, even a minimal amount of oversteer will activate the system, enabling a stable driving experience.
I don't have csa though

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are experiencing understeer you need to turn the wheel less, not more, also lift throttle a bit in some sweepers to shift weight forward.
Even though default abs ALWAYS limits overall braking force to allow the wheels to turn and not lock, sometimes too late on the brakes at 100 percent just overloads the front tires and you’ll still push on entry.
ABS weak gives more control but you gotta be Johnny on the spot with how you both come onto and off brakes.
Turning the wheel more if you are already pushing will just make you plow more.
Guarantee it’s your inputs causing this. Guarantee. Plus be specific what car what corner is it on entry or apex or exit share video share settings etc etc.
Edit also tire temp is much more significant now then it was six months ago. On races with tire wear exceeding the tires best temp operating window for too long or after certain sections of track will cause much bigger trouble than it used to.
On wheel you can feel when you’ve turned too far or are overheating tires, on controller I don’t know how you’d ever know what’s happened.

Last edited:
If you are experiencing understeer you need to turn the wheel less, not more, also lift throttle a bit in some sweepers to shift weight forward.
Even though default abs ALWAYS limits overall braking force to allow the wheels to turn and not lock, sometimes too late on the brakes at 100 percent just overloads the front tires and you’ll still push on entry.
ABS weak gives more control but you gotta be Johnny on the spot with how you both come onto and off brakes.
Turning the wheel more if you are already pushing will just make you plow more.
Guarantee it’s your inputs causing this. Guarantee. Plus be specific what car what corner is it on entry or apex or exit share video share settings etc etc.
Edit also tire temp is much more significant now then it was six months ago. On races with tire wear exceeding the tires best temp operating window for too long or after certain sections of track will cause much bigger trouble than it used to.
On wheel you can feel when you’ve turned too far or are overheating tires, on controller I don’t know how you’d ever know what’s happened.
Thanks for the tips! Some great pointers to think about. I'll give more details soon and report back how I do.

The game has a lot of built in controller assist. I notice this on very long corners like at Catalunya and kyoto.
It makes you slower and I found it to be driver error. If you accelerate too early the game will open the steering slightly even if your trying to add more input. If this happens just give a tiny lift and you can then go back to full acceleration with full turning. Next lap wait an extra meter or so before adding full throttle and you’ll find it goes away and you’ll be able to hold a tighter line. You can also change your driving like to take a wider turn in and tighter apex, this also eliminates it but is harder to get right.
The first section at Catalunya is a good place to practice this, it does cost you time and extra tyre wear so it’s worth the time 👍.

Last edited:
I drive only with ABS and a controller and I have the same issue with the understeer but only on left hand corners medium and low speed like Barcelona T5 Monza T2 and T4 and on Spa T7 and the T8,T9 complex, basically Spa Sector 2. While I realized that with steering assist there is no problem but you lose a lot of time in other parts of the circuit. You can slow down to 10 km/h and still not take the corner, even with manual gearbox lowering gears does not improve rotation mid corner or in the entry.

Car: Merc F1 Car

Last edited:
I also tried weaving in a straight line and I noticed that the car turns quickly to the right but takes a lot of time to turn to the left so there might be a problem in the game in general

Last edited:
Back