Unexpected oversteer!!!, can someone help.

• Thread starter asimov
  • 6 comments
As I was "directing" my AI-driver through the 24 h of 'la Sarthe I', I decided to run a few laps myself and hand over to the CPU when i got tired, when I noticed that as I hit 340+ km/h and I made minute steering adjustments on a straight section of the course, my Toyota Minolta would lock at about 0.7-0.8 G in the steering indicator (to one side or the other depending on my input) for about 1.5 sec. and make me lose control as I tried to correct it.

Then I changed my driver's aid to about the following values:
ACS(oversteer)--> 16
ACS(understeer)--> 12
TCS--> 10

That done: same problem.

Then I proceeded to change the suspension settings:
Spring rate(front)--> 12.0
Spring rate(rear)--> 13.0
Ride height(front)--> 60 mm
Ride height(rear)--> 70 mm
Damper(bound)(front)--> 6
Damper(rebound)(front)--> 10
*same for (rear)
Camber(front)--> 2.0
Camber(rear)--> 1.8
Toe(front)--> 0
Toe(rear)--> 0
Stabilizer(front)--> 6
Stabilizer(rear)--> 6

That done: not helping!

Then I changed tires: all possible combinations--> a little better but below my average lap-time.

Finally I refreshed my car's body, and that seemed to help the most but not completely...

My question therefore is whether my car is just getting old or I need to do something else.
Of course I could try and change everything and test it but that would take ages,
and already I almost broke my crontroller as I was huffin' and puffin' :grumpy: !

Hi Asimov

I'm not certain but as far as I am aware there are rumours floating around of a 'bug' in the Minolta's handling on la Sarthe. The posts I've read have so far all been with regard to the B-Spec pilot ploughing it into the wall on the straight but it seems, from what you've found, that it affects the A-Spec model also :(.

Very poor show from PD if it's the case.

asimov
As I was "directing" my AI-driver through the 24 h of 'la Sarthe I', I decided to run a few laps myself and hand over to the CPU when i got tired, when I noticed that as I hit 340+ km/h and I made minute steering adjustments on a straight section of the course, my Toyota Minolta would lock at about 0.7-0.8 G in the steering indicator (to one side or the other depending on my input) for about 1.5 sec. and make me lose control as I tried to correct it.

Then I changed my driver's aid to about the following values:
ACS(oversteer)--> 16
ACS(understeer)--> 12
TCS--> 10

That done: same problem.

Then I proceeded to change the suspension settings:
Spring rate(front)--> 12.0
Spring rate(rear)--> 13.0
Ride height(front)--> 60 mm
Ride height(rear)--> 70 mm
Damper(bound)(front)--> 6
Damper(rebound)(front)--> 10
*same for (rear)
Camber(front)--> 2.0
Camber(rear)--> 1.8
Toe(front)--> 0
Toe(rear)--> 0
Stabilizer(front)--> 6
Stabilizer(rear)--> 6

That done: not helping!

Then I changed tires: all possible combinations--> a little better but below my average lap-time.

Finally I refreshed my car's body, and that seemed to help the most but not completely...

My question therefore is whether my car is just getting old or I need to do something else.
Of course I could try and change everything and test it but that would take ages,
and already I almost broke my crontroller as I was huffin' and puffin' :grumpy: !

Well, I don't know about a bug... Who's to say? Any how... why do you have your back end so high up? Try making it even with the front. Also, you could try to add +1 toe to the rear wheels. Drop the bound to about 3-4, rebound to about 6-7. Also do try to remember that 340km makes things pretty touchy and the road surface at Sarth is far from perfect. Hope that helps...

P.S. And if that doesn't help, try using a -1 toe in the front.

P.P.S. Dig the handle... remember the 3 rules ;)

Canadian Speed
Well, I don't know about a bug... Who's to say? Any how... why do you have your back end so high up? Try making it even with the front. Also, you could try to add +1 toe to the rear wheels. Drop the bound to about 3-4, rebound to about 6-7. Also do try to remember that 340km makes things pretty touchy and the road surface at Sarth is far from perfect. Hope that helps...

P.S. And if that doesn't help, try using a -1 toe in the front.

P.P.S. Dig the handle... remember the 3 rules ;)

well not too long ago I used to get to 360 with my minolta and with some caution it handled perfectly, oh well... but anyway i'll try applying the damper and height suggestions, thx.

Canadian Speed
Well, I don't know about a bug... Who's to say? Any how...
Flattyre
racing in the Formula car at Cote d'Azur I was at least 30" in the lead when the power started to falter and the car slowed noticeably, it felt just like a blocked fuel filter with the engine dying away then coming back. I was about to pit anyway, and when I came out the engine problem had gone, but so had most of my lead.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63081
harald
i hope i'm not the first to ask this because i looked in the forum and found nothing, anyway, when i'm on the 24 sarthe II in B-SPEC with my mercedes sauber c9 then sudenly on the straight it starts to brake and stops, WHY? i could use the settings for this race (if anybody wants to give it to me) but i want to know what the reason is for this time to time problem: is it the brakes, the height of the car,... i don't know.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63362
--------------------
Canadian Speed
why do you have your back end so high up? Try making it even with the front.

He has his back end so high for very good reason...
rk
the only problem with the Minolta Toyota is the suspension travel is too little in the rear for high speed BUMPY tracks, like Sarthe. Under repeated loading it begins to collapse, effectively lowering the ride height and unweighting the rear tires enough to spin. It is not too much power or weird science, your obvious clue is the sparks. If you put B-spec Bob in the drivers seat and go for a ride on the tailgate, ok, air foil then, you will see clearly, as he accelerates past 200 mph (300kph?) sparks start to fly out the back, just like when you drive over the rumble strip. If you then go and do nothing more than raise the ride height- I used 77mm with spring rate 15.7- and go back out with Bob, voila! Your tire wear problem is now gone, wear is consistent with the Sauber C-9 and R92CP.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1607848&postcount=22

Here is my tune:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60395

Back