Unknown Porsche Model - Please Help!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rue
  • 15 comments
  • 1,964 views

Rue

Apparantly...
Premium
Messages
6,312
Hong Kong
Hong Kong SAR
I saw this Porsche 911 (930) yesterday and am befuddled as to the actual model, even having done lots of investigation on the Interweb. It must be a turbo cos of those big arches but it obviously has a aftermarket bodykit which looks quite factoryesque. I thought it may be a RUF but it seems that it's not. Does anyone have any idea?

btw I have posted the big photo in case you can glean anything from the details. It has Recaro seats and some very 80's BBS rims. Oh, I think that is a rubber body seal hanging off too!

img1281dl7.jpg


img1312by4.jpg
 
My guess is that it's a 930 with an aftermarket bodykit. Owner probably just didn't like the accordians.
 
I believe some forms of the Carrera 3.2 were sold with body pieces like that from the factory. According to Wiki:

Wikipedia Article Porsche 911
In 1984, Porsche also introduced the M491 option. Officially called the Supersport, it was commonly known as the "Turbo-look". It was a style that resembled the Porsche 930 Turbo with wide wheel arches and the distinctive "tea tray” tail. It featured the stiffer turbo suspension and the superior turbo braking system as well as the wider turbo wheels. Sales of the Supersport were particularly strong for its first two years in the United States because the desirable 930 was not available.

The 911 Speedster (option M503), a low-roof version of the Cabriolet which was evocative of the Porsche 356 Speedster of the 1950s, was produced in limited numbers (2104) starting in 1989 as both a narrow body car and a Turbo-look. It started as a design under Helmuth Bott in 1983 but was not manufactured until six years later. It was a two-seat convertible that featured a low swept windshield.

The 1987 Carrera Club Sport, of which 340 were produced, is a collectible 911 that had a blueprinted engine with a higher rev limit, and had the electric windows, electric seats, and radio removed to save a claimed 50 kg (110 lb) in weight.

The '87 Carrera 3.2 convertible I drove I believe was of the "Supersport" designation, given that it did have the larger tail and the wider rear fenders. That, or it had been modified (it was a weekend racer after all). They're around like that, tricky bastards they are...
 
It's a 930?

Not a 964?

Yes a 930. Look at the back lights. Though you'd be pretty hard pressed to tell from the front as this particular one looks more rounded and has the 964 wing mirrors and... hang on... it has the indicators in the same position as the 964. Eh? Now I am more confused than before. I've posted on the Porsche Enthusiast's Forum so this may be cleared up soon.
 
Rear lights are blatantly 930 (well, "blatant" if you're well-familiar with Porsches). As such, both bumpers are custom (the lack of accordians is a big clue).

Compare this tail end of a 964 Turbo with the first picture.
porsche2096420turboma5.jpg
 
Rear lights are blatantly 930 (well, "blatant" if you're well-familiar with Porsches). As such, the entire front bumper is a custom piece (the lack of accordians is a big clue).

Exactly, which makes it even more mysterious. Look how wide the rear arches are in the first picture too. Is it maybe a trick of the light? They seem much wider than normal.
 
Rue
Yes a 930. Look at the back lights. Though you'd be pretty hard pressed to tell from the front as this particular one looks more rounded and has the 964 wing mirrors and... hang on... it has the indicators in the same position as the 964. Eh? Now I am more confused than before. I've posted on the Porsche Enthusiast's Forum so this may be cleared up soon.

Yeah, it has the side-mounted turn signals - not even a part of the 930 - from the 964, which is why I'm confused.

Looks to me like the front clip is 964, and the back is 930.

EDIT: it also is using 964 mirrors; the 930's were rectangular.
 
And again I state:

Wikipedia article on the Porsche 911
In 1984, Porsche also introduced the M491 option. Officially called the Supersport, it was commonly known as the "Turbo-look". It was a style that resembled the Porsche 930 Turbo with wide wheel arches and the distinctive "tea tray” tail. It featured the stiffer turbo suspension and the superior turbo braking system as well as the wider turbo wheels. Sales of the Supersport were particularly strong for its first two years in the United States because the desirable 930 was not available.

It, presumably, is the only explanation for the mix of 930 and 964 parts...

283894-2.jpg


Does that help?

EDIT EDIT:

Hrm, the rear bumpers are different... This one has to be some custom 964 then...
 
Well, I am utterly confused. I know from experience that HK car owners can't keep their cars standard for long and will do some extreme conversions (the 993Targa to GT2 that I saw the other week for example) but this one just seems odd. It could be as simple as them replacing the 964 rear light cluster for a 930 unit, but why would you do that?

I'll have a couple more interesting Porsche spots for you guys in the DYSAGT thread a bit later.

283894-2.jpg


Does that help?

Yes, that looks like you got it! The owner must have just replaced the front and rear bumpers. Good detective work!
 
That's definitely the car, with a little added bodywork and new wheels. Accounts for the 964-style front end. Nice Job Brad!

(I'll bet you guys didn't know this, but Brad is a closet Porsche nut - the other day he told me that if he could have any car, he'd probably look very hard at the Porsche 934)
 
That's definitely the car, with a little added bodywork and new wheels. Accounts for the 964-style front end. Nice Job Brad!

(I'll bet you guys didn't know this, but Brad is a closet Porsche nut - the other day he told me that if he could have any car, he'd probably look very hard at the Porsche 934)

w00t!

I do love Porsches. I have since I was a kid. Problem has always been that pesky Corvette... Oh well. I've considered several vintage 911s before, replacement parts drive me away. Nothing like an old-school racer that will happily kill you if you treat it improperly...

The 911 I drove, BTW, looked quite similar to this:

 
The 911 I drove looked exactly like this:

My911C0edited.jpg

Though when I was driving it, it looked more like this:

1001217smallerel3.jpg

:D
 
I thought I remembered seeing something like this before, and it's just come back to me where!

Check out these two posts from the "WRSers and their rides" thread.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2300797&postcount=189
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2301323&postcount=194

OnlyMe is still an active user here, so you may want to contact him about the 911/930 to 964 style conversion, even though he states that he bought it like that, he may have more details.
As a 1981 911SC Targa owner, I did notice he got the stock power wrong for his 1978 though, the US model was listed at 204HP from 1978 (due to emissions regulations), but the rest of the world got 180HP up until 1981. It is of course possible a car that old has had an engine swap, of course, and his may have got one of the newer early 80s 3.0L engines producing 204HP.
Good info found here: Simon's Porsche 911 SC Site
 
Sexyness to the max!

I've have to say of the more modern Porsches, the GT3 still tickles my fancy the most. I see that you had several there. Odd, I think I nearly prefer the 996 to the 997...
 
Back