• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 14 comments

RACECAR

Owner/Promoter/Organizer/Driver/ETC
Premium
United States
Addison,Texas
GTP_RACECAR
I was looking at single lap videos when I saw a user who had videos featuring classic F1 cars in F1CE. From what I've seen, here they are in no particular order:

Alfa Romeo 158
Cooper Climax
Lotus 49C
Lotus 72E
Renault RS01
Williams FW06
Williams FW18

I was wondering if any of you had any of these cars.

Not yet, though I have seen some of these cars uncovered in the Trophy Room along with the Jerez plaque.

Actually they are fun to drive - very different from the modern F1 cars, but fun. Only problem is: you can't actually race them. :( It would be great to be able to have vintage car races off & online.

I was looking at single lap videos when I saw a user who had videos featuring classic F1 cars in F1CE. From what I've seen, here they are in no particular order:

Alfa Romeo 158
Cooper Climax
Lotus 49C
Lotus 72E
Renault RS01
Williams FW06
Williams FW18

I was wondering if any of you had any of these cars.

Yup, I disagree with the above too, these cars are very rewarding to drive, especially the FW18, which is my fave.

To get them:
Alfa Romeo 158 - unlocked for winning the World Championship (constructors as well I think?)
Cooper Climax - unlocked from the start
Lotus 49C - win a race
Lotus 72E - unlocked from the start
Renault RS01 - unlocked from the start
Williams FW06 - get bronzes or better on all tracks in Time Trial (except Jerez)
Williams FW18 - get silvers or better on all tracks in Time Trial (except Jerez)

Its far more interesting to drive cars without all the aids and aerodynamics of the modern F1 cars, back then it was all about how well you can put the power down.

Yup, I have them all. I believe you unlock them all, by winning lots of stuff in career mode. I agree that some of them are quite difficult to drive. The modern Williams F1 car handles fine for me though. I really enjoy driving both the Lotus 49 and 72. I really like the detail they've given to the good ol' Ford/Cosworth V8.

My only gripe (and its a considerable one) is that you can only drive them in time trial mode. I have always been impressed with the light effects in time trial mode, but they make seeing the track much more difficult. It would be nice to be able to drive these cars in normal daylight, for a change. That, and how cool would it be to race them online! What a mess that would be!

I still think that the best DLC that F1CE could provide, would be to enable racing for the classic cars. Same tracks, but a whole different range of handling would make the game brand-new again. They only feel strange because everyone's got used to throwing around the 2006 cars with their amazing grip, downforce & brakes.

The Renault RS01 is a definite favourite of mine, feels like a big powerful go-kart, moreso than the modern stuff.

Can't wait until I unlock the two Williams cars as well.

the Lotus 49C is pretty fun to drive, the Renault, can drive without understeer and spinouts, Alfa Romeo, to slow to notice, Cooper, blend of Renault and Alfa, Lotus 72, just like the other car. I'll get back when I get the Williams cars

I find that the RS01 is so chuckable. I agree that it is annoying that you can only drive them in time trial. Yes the Williams are faster, but it is great that we have a chance to try them out. Personally, if they put the Lotus 88 in that would have kept me happy. But I am not complaining. the Renault reminds me of the good old days of turbo power, of Arnoux and Prost, of great tv replays when the turbo packed up.

Back