Unpainting carbon fiber "other" areas

• Thread starter handcuff
  • 20 comments
United States
United States
handcuff_charlie
Several cars such as the Alfa 4C have areas that are carbon fiber but are painted over when you repaint the car because you are forced to select "paint all" when changing from the original color. This repaints everything except the wheels and is really annoying.

Has anyone figured out a way to undo the applied custom paint just for specific areas, such as these "other" and "side mirror" areas so as to preserve the carbon fiber aesthetics?

Best I can tell it is only possible to undo the custom paint for the entire car. Again, annoying.
The CF decals I have found as a workaround are pretty crappy and are too small in size, making it damn near impossible to align the weave pattern in order to cover any area larger than the decal itself without scaling it upsize and making it look even worse.

Several cars such as the Alfa 4C have areas that are carbon fiber but are painted over when you repaint the car because you are forced to select "paint all" when changing from the original color. This repaints everything except the wheels and is really annoying.

Has anyone figured out a way to undo the applied custom paint just for specific areas, such as these "other" and "side mirror" areas so as to preserve the carbon fiber aesthetics?

Best I can tell it is only possible to undo the custom paint for the entire car. Again, annoying.
The CF decals I have found as a workaround are pretty crappy and are too small in size, making it damn near impossible to align the weave pattern in order to cover any area larger than the decal itself without scaling it upsize and making it look even worse.

I was just thinking about this... you can just wrap your car with large decals and leave all the carbon, but it can be time consuming, you can't have any metallic paint, and you can still see the base colour when you look at it from some angles (through the gaps etc.), but it can look okay in some cases.

I don't understand why we shouldn't be allowed to leave the "other" as it is, why the first option is only to "paint all" I don't know. I feel really cheap if I were to wrap fake carbon fiber on my car :scared:.

I would also like to know if anyone has found a way though.

you can still see the base colour when you look at it from some angles (through the gaps etc.)
Increase your projection angle and the decals will wrap into the panel gaps. This can also help when you're trying to not spill over creases and character lines but it's fiddly.

I agree they should have all the options on the initial menu. I'd also like to see an option to remove from just that area instead of, again, going for all or none.

Increase your projection angle and the decals will wrap into the panel gaps. This can also help when you're trying to not spill over creases and character lines but it's fiddly.

I agree they should have all the options on the initial menu. I'd also like to see an option to remove from just that area instead of, again, going for all or none.

Thank you, that makes using the livery editor better for me. I had some bad luck though.. I made a nice M4 GT4 livery but for some reason when you try to wrap around the badge near the left fender (just to touch up around it because there are still some pixels left from the base colour in some spots) a strange/random spot of paint (decal colour) appears on the rear carbon diffuser and as far as I know there is nothing that can be done about it besides not wrapping that section (I tried messing with the size of the decal and projection angle etc.).

Sometimes you need to experiment with both depth and angle settings as well as aligning the decal to the surface of the car vs aligning it to the camera angle...there is a very big distinction between the two alignment settings. The depth setting is what causes decals to appear on parts of the car "behind" where you intended. For example, you can wrap the entire bottom 1/3 of a car by placing one single decal/color on either side (left/right) simply by scaling the decal large enough (R3) and then maximizing the depth to 10. The below livery is made with only two decals using the same technique IIRC

6206593616180150272_23.jpg

So it's good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
I was searching the shared car livery and found the newly added RX7 with a carbon hood & wing someone created. The carbon looks really good like it came that way on the car stock. But when I search for carbon decals they are nowhere near the level of detail that someone put on this RX7. So if it's a download decal that person is not sharing it.

I was wondering & hoping that there was a carbon paint chip to buy in GTS. Because I haven't had the game but a few weeks I just assumed I had missed it when it came up for sale and I could just get it the next time it came up but now after reading this thread it would seem there is no carbon paint chip.
That really sucks because I'm a big fan of the Carbon Fiber look and can't believe they would leave out or not give us the option to have carbon fiber parts on our cars.

@Rinsky, Here is a carbon fibre decal that can be linked flawlessly. It looks really good but it's of course very time-consuming. I also put a black or grey panel behind it to fill the slight gaps.

@Rinsky, Here is a carbon fibre decal that can be linked flawlessly. It looks really good but it's of course very time-consuming. I also put a black or grey panel behind it to fill the slight gaps.

I think this highlights why a carbon paint chip isn't a thing. To look good it's not a texture that can simply be applied to every surface automatically... the more curvacious the car the worse it's likely to look, with the 'grain' of it being stretch or distorted quite a bit.

I think this highlights why a carbon paint chip isn't a thing. To look good it's not a texture that can simply be applied to every surface automatically... the more curvacious the car the worse it's likely to look, with the 'grain' of it being stretch or distorted quite a bit.

I'm not sure how it would work on GTS so you may definitely be right. When I was playing DiRT 4 though, they have a raw or gloss carbon fibre option for every car (you can even tint it to any colour you like). It's really awesome!

This is something that's bugged me for a while with the Gr.3/4 cars. What doesn't help is with most of them you're starting with the base of the default livery, so on a car like the GT-R GT3 where the splitters are painted white on the Schulze car you can't un paint them. Gloss or Matte blacks are your only option and look ok in races but not as realistic in close up scape shots.

It's a lazy move on PD's part, the livery editor should start with each car in a bare state similar to GT6 where you could buy plain versions of the GT-R GT3, Impreza GT300 and Supra GT500 for example. Even if they can't make a Carbon Fibre paint chip they can at least create the textures for the cars and allow people to leave the bare bits by 'painting' with decals.

So when you finish all the Mission challenges you get gifted a car. I got all gold but it doesn't appear that's has anything to do with this gift car.
The random gift car is always in full carbon fiber. So this tells me there could be a carbon paint chip to come later on. It would seem that they already have a lot of the cars in the game made in all carbon fiber.

So when you finish all the Mission challenges you get gifted a car. I got all gold but it doesn't appear that's has anything to do with this gift car.
The random gift car is always in full carbon fiber. So this tells me there could be a carbon paint chip to come later on. It would seem that they already have a lot of the cars in the game made in all carbon fiber.
I've not golded all the missions yet, are you able to post a pic of the car you got?

I've not golded all the missions yet, are you able to post a pic of the car you got?

I can later when I get home because Im at work right now.

My gift car was the fittipaldi car in all carbon fiber but others have received Jaguar, Aston Martin, so im not 100% sure on what all cars others have received in all carbon.

The EF7 is available from Brand Central in Carbon Fibre, so I don't think it's linked to the fact it's a prize car. It's only available in 2 colours to begin with, so it makes it 50/50 that you'll win a CF one if that's the car you win.

The EF7 is available from Brand Central in Carbon Fibre, so I don't think it's linked to the fact it's a prize car. It's only available in 2 colours to begin with, so it makes it 50/50 that you'll win a CF one if that's the car you win.

I wasn't sure if it really had anything to do with it or not. There just isn't enough information on this subject yet to get an accurate answer.
I've post on the main page to see if we can get an accurate car count along with how they were obtained.

Well i wasn't expecting my game to have a bug in it to where some of my cars were not showing up in full black carbon that you can buy.

I reinstalled the game last night and all appears to be right now.
My research is still finding cars that can be won in full black carbon that are not for sale in the game. Most of my information is coming from other websites because it seems a lot of people on GTP do not complete the offline part of this game so im not getting much information on here.

Most of the cars I've found modeled in full carbon are VGT, Gr.3 and prototypes with only one N800 car in that mix.

Anyway I'm staying hopefull that PD might add the option to keep the original carbon parts on the cars carbon and that they might add a carbon paint chip down the road.

Can't help feeling the none painted cars you're seeing are just liveries people have made. Haven't seen any other reference to CF cars online.

Can't help feeling the none painted cars you're seeing are just liveries people have made. Haven't seen any other reference to CF cars online.

It's possible.
All I can do is take things at face value without actually seeing them or talking to the people myself.

The only car I've seen personally that you can't buy in full black carbon and was won is the
ASTON MARTIN - Vulcan 2016 (N800)

I also think someone eles on this fourm received that same car for getting all gold on mission challenges.
As for all the other cars I can not confirm if they really exist or are just created livery's.

I'm not giving up on it just yet.
This might sound strange but I'm really not concern with the exclusiveness of the cars.
All I really want is an accurate count on how many cars in the game are available in full carbon fiber.
The more cars the better chance we stand of getting a carbon fiber paint chip.
It would probably work like the custom wheels as it would be crossed out for certain vehicles and available for others in the livery editor.
It sure would beat putting on a hundred carbon decal squares to achieve the same goal even if it was for only a limited number of cars.
As of right now the exact known amount of cars is 6. That number is confirmed as you can buy 5 of them now.

In the end it's all probably just a pipe dream anyway.

Last edited:
I haven't tried to full wrap a car with carbon, most of the carbon decal you can find needs to be kept small to look right scale wise. So doing a whole car would be pretty hard work. I've done local bits with carbon, usually easier if its a "Other" area. Side vent on the Mclaren for example.
Os3Uq0THs7nb1bK3VH87m15-JUhQqcSCNBjNoSneuzEP0ZKO0OP2Abb8Sh8EVFcK7Dh6XLP8O4UFcqfdOpNztw4kWttfo3rFZes5bgMmMcexNteyhXDj1Ef4G11nMs6iBcn5NEo8G9zVecFUTbNx7Wp25dP4UJpIQvEfhKLNHfmHXGVRW2kYhgdijZ0FFhTXwobjAJP2sGiMDpUqnPeP0tHdIbc_r9znczlMWxvWoowMylqPCgKlObIJv3NqWiLYJ6ylBTZaSDmtWJ5m8rLX1XkhBN3zihSPkQlPhDfRgo3nDl-Rha_GCeMwKI51QKny46V3Y2_yUSXNixqgESk3DqPeiQS0I__Akt7Oer171zaPqCAGeR5rI0aeNC3AdsPLBGSwQD_VrplALFoYW-s_Aux6jzeuWMOAiVJBo4tnm_vHgkLRNFMggagMraZJ8GyToTdtNKkKWkou4VWJNbMkfX9ZYjH_H-vwMUyppehrPGVsevPSgsUV8DwD7G8hRhbp14Kyu3vw3V7B_ZjUf0gUdooTzDC8s0rtG0KqbEuF33Y0UCPjokflRCtTFFt54jtys3q8qncLXli1S7z4aV4JQLXkQ552U_0ri16rcpKAFEg_RjDCQFqb30RSkqDz7btnjKvmwW3GUA22537vC_G9xfuAY5mx_K_kyA=w1750-h984-no

Or wheel arch vent like the Peugeot:
LOnm7aX1pNq2PMsKy1Ex4oJ0Q4_dQnlsZ15_JrS20W1tX2F6CCq3NBcLVgdbQux2umOsVOZqzXTtWOX5mrqC5OgY5ODS4zIDe5pM3uYMFrkjMAu9r_SHZjD7GNibOpFIkLToGA2_C1hBQsXQpt0LyKhCDA4CmsBsMvDaFhsCGfXulgCQEOSMFfyff3xaXwga48m8ABte2eq5Ma-BmwZ0RsFCEaJ3fBdLeQkncfOjqCdePP7_7AjymgEHqn-ricIMKLDHmvAJp-76QB-xTPHq0VpgWyOe8qxvZcQFLxwdYJQ-2D3RwhYrtDmN3g1Te79jcNjg7m7Mbfh-Jcfd3LUymYGOIlpwdEL7sKEN_rqPLrvaI-St5-HEVOu17slIpodYnRKyzmNmAm-7TghESakv7NS555w7iM71wF7UagevfqbcDIg6-Hr8y3MWgMcz9utBJGidY-fk4gWJyN49RkyppbtZ4dEqg2JmzOoJb7EV4Bj5hvNZcI9qQRv7-uU4w82IKs6gQSShPIuDr0RnTC8mkTLxkSndNXIBoRYRE5S6QOInFzi6sL6r0jMBcvc-WPz0u7MJ2vU4d4jWSMnA0EQrUSC2pjQXceMY4viI0ErPIoFPDl8YTiGZNa8mZZ7FUarT-9zp2HOjB5lr6F3QmlSW0f0gVNofnN8vMA=w1750-h984-no

Back