Unreal Championship (2nd rant, read Live first)

• Thread starter Tom M
  • 6 comments
So I bought Live! and felt extremely hosed by the mighty Microsoft to the point that I may never forgive them. (Which is bad, because as several people have found, I am always willing to share my knowledge on how to screw large corporations out of money to those I feel are deserving.)
So I enjoyed UC on the PC and thought it would be perfect to play online and with friends when they drop by (which is how I play most games lately.)
So there I was configuring my controller for the only way I have ever played Console FPS and that is to have the left stick move forward/back and turn right and left, and the right stick looking up/down and strafing.
I prefer this method because It's more effective in single player modes and I always felt it was more effective for my style of gaming. Every other game allows for it, but for some reason UC does not allow for this one solitary setting to be remapped on the controller.
So here I am with my knees basically removed, trying to stand against an onslaught of other players. Even now that I'm sort of used to it, I hate this control scheme and long for Timesplitters 2 or Medal of Honor (or Halo, or anything else online.)
I'm really thinking about trading the game in for something else, but decided to get Mechassault instead to try something better (more on that in 3rd rant)
Oh yeah, and for all interested, UC lacks viusual clarity seen in other Xbox FPS like Halo, and runs at a fairly low frame rate (Halo or less.) It also ha less detailed models and boards. I'd give it a 7.5 on the overall, it's a decent but average quality game. From my standpoint it deserves a 5 out of 10 though thanks to faulty controls.

A friend of mine uses your control scheme for Halo. He just last night gave up on it (in Halo) because nearly every other game he plays doesn't have that option and it was really messing with his mind.

Personally I don't see what your gripe is here. One thumb stick controls your feet, the other controls your weapon. That's the way it SHOULD be. It's ignorant to split the controls of two different items between two different control devices. Why not keep each item to its own control device?

Get used to it man - it makes more sense whether you like it or not.

But yes, the game lacks luster. I got online with a friend who was in town from out of town - we cleaned everyone's clocks for about 5 hours. He and I had high point, most accuracy, and at LEAST doubled the other team's score on every server we joined. Our team mates combined never had more than a fourth of either of our scores.

It is much faster pased than Halo. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Personally I like Halo's style better. But I think the visuals are much better than Halo. There are more moving parts on the players, and the weapons look much better. The environments are really nice as well. Maybe I'm just in shell shock from first impressions, but it looks good to me.

It depends on your personality type. I always find that I do better when things are a little more complex. Perhaps it's because it utilizes more of the brain, perhaps it's because I'm an abstract thinker. Either way I'm not going to make the switch for a 2nd rate game (with no split screen multiplayer either for that matter.)
So far I have Halo, Serious Sam, Halflife, MOH, Timesplitters 1&2, Red Faction 1&2, Metroid Prime (which only offers the movement and turning on the left, strafing is done with a trigger), Resident Evil (since it controls slower yet similar to Mechassault), several Gundam games, and several PS1 games (plus Dreamcast games like Quake 3) All of them have my style of controls, and several (although not lately) had it as the default.
I'd say it's probably not just me.

Microsoft needs to produce an XBox Keyboard and mouse for future games. They could even have a web browser and crap. I bet it's coming.

Originally posted by LoudMusic
Microsoft needs to produce an XBox Keyboard and mouse for future games.

Now that I could get into. :D Some nice Logitech equipment...
Nintendo has a great one for Phantasy Star Online coming out. Something like this would be perfect.

Attachments

• gc_keyboard_screen001.jpg
    gc_keyboard_screen001.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 28
Weeelllll ... I need a mouse more than a keyboard. Though that keyboard does take care of quite a few issues.

Thanks for the image!

Edit: 4300 Posts!! Wooohooo!!

Back