Unrealistic Top Speed?

• Thread starter Fabr_123
  • 22 comments
Brazil
Brazil
fabr_123
I'm testing the Porsche RSR and I can't quite reach its actual speed at Le Mans.

In 2017, this car could reach 295km/h without slipstream. It ran with 1250kg, and around 525HP. I tried to replicate the specs, and apply the setup with the lowest downforce, but I can't reach more than 287km/h.

Thoughts?

Have you touched the gearbox? The Le Mans-run RSRs would have their gear ratios changed to allow for higher top speeds in the 24h race compared to other tracks on the WEC calendar.

I'm testing the Porsche RSR and I can't quite reach its actual speed at Le Mans.

In 2017, this car could reach 295km/h without slipstream. It ran with 1250kg, and around 525HP. I tried to replicate the specs, and apply the setup with the lowest downforce, but I can't reach more than 287km/h.

Thoughts?

Considering the usual top speeds in GT games it's hardly unrealistic is it? 8km/h off?

Have you touched the gearbox? The Le Mans-run RSRs would have their gear ratios changed to allow for higher top speeds in the 24h race compared to other tracks on the WEC calendar.

Yes, tried many different gear ratios, it didn't make much difference.

usual stuff... lowest ride height, low or no downforce, no toe no camber and the final drive set to 300km/h

is power set to 100, weight to 100?

It doesnt surprise me too much... GT3 cars arent meant to go much over 300k?

Thoughts?
Can I ask how do you know it’s 525hp?

usual stuff... lowest ride height, low or no downforce, no toe no camber and the final drive set to 300km/h

Power is set to 102, weight 100. I tried to match real life specs.

GT3 cars aren't made for top speed yes, but I'm pretty sure most of them could reach 300km/h at Le Mans with low drag setup.

Can I ask how do you know it’s 525hp?

Based on Porsches website and WEC BOP table. The car makes 510hp stock, but for Le Mans the restrictor was larger.

Thoughts?
Well the lack of underbody aerodynamics doesn't help...

I hope you're comparing it to what it ran in 2017 and not last year as last years car had updated exhaust and a reworked diffuser to go with it.

I hope you're comparing it to what it ran in 2017 and not last year as last years car had updated exhaust and a reworked diffuser to go with it.

Actually, the exhaust has been updated at LM 2017, the diffuser has kept its shape though.

It's one of the areas that GTS isn't good at.

Oh, that explain something.

It had 375kW (510hp/503bhp) and 1243kg I think...

Not sure for gearbox setup nor any other part...
Would be nice to get somewhere those setrings that were used.

Not sure they did put camber and toe to 0, usually racing cars keep it much higher the roadgoing cars even om straights, especially toe (stability and tire heat control)

Cheera...

There are lots of things that can differ from real life that we don't know. For example the aerodynamics setup range in GTS is quite narrow and even the lowest rear wing setting still gives a lot of downforce, I wouldn't be surprised if the real setting was well below that. And in the end 8 km/h isn't that much - air temperature, atmospheric pressure, even the wind direction, all cause noticable differences on long straights.

Thoughts?
That could be chalked up to differences between car setups. An 8 km/h difference isn't particularly substantial. The real car's top speed could have been affected by factors that the game doesn't account for.

GTS in general has much more realistic top speeds than the PS3 era games, except for the McLaren P1 GTR. The real one is apparently limited to 214 mph and I don't know how fast it can theoretically go ungoverned but I really doubt it could go past 270 mph as some people have pushed it to in game.

I don't know how fast GT3s can go but I'm sure they can go 300 km/h. Probably depends on the track and gearing. Though the RSR is actually a GTE car. Not sure how fast GTEs normally go. GTEs are faster on track than GT3s but have less power.

There are lots of things that can differ from real life that we don't know. For example the aerodynamics setup range in GTS is quite narrow and even the lowest rear wing setting still gives a lot of downforce, I wouldn't be surprised if the real setting was well below that. And in the end 8 km/h isn't that much - air temperature, atmospheric pressure, even the wind direction, all cause noticable differences on long straights.
I was going to say the same thing. Windage probably played a role. 8km/h off is still pretty close. I'd just lengthen 6th a couple degrees.

That could be chalked up to differences between car setups. An 8 km/h difference isn't particularly substantial. The real car's top speed could have been affected by factors that the game doesn't account for.

GTS in general has much more realistic top speeds than the PS3 era games, except for the McLaren P1 GTR. The real one is apparently limited to 214 mph and I don't know how fast it can theoretically go ungoverned but I really doubt it could go past 270 mph as some people have pushed it to in game.

Yeah, I guess I got it wrong. I ended up discovering something super important: The RSR has a specific aero kit for Le Mans. Here's a comparison of the wing angle:

The one we have in GTS:
uppork123.jpg

Le Mans version:
1af0c337-fae5-4551-87ad-84c95f04fd6e_teaser_720x406x2.jpg

Maybe that's enough to add at least 5km/h to the top speed.

It’s not unusual for official power figures to under report by at least 10%.

At Le Mans the cars will also be trimmed out with minor differences in wing angle, splitter, cooling etc. All to eek out a few mph top speed.

Yeah, I guess I got it wrong. I ended up discovering something super important: The RSR has a specific aero kit for Le Mans. Here's a comparison of the wing angle:

The one we have in GTS:
uppork123.jpg

Le Mans version:
1af0c337-fae5-4551-87ad-84c95f04fd6e_teaser_720x406x2.jpg

Maybe that's enough to add at least 5km/h to the top speed.
Besides any other real life variables GTS doesn't account for, that probably would be enough to eke out a few extra km/h.

Could of had a good tail wind in real life we wont ever see in GTSport

Edit but that lower drag wing seems like the guilty culprit

Back