Unstable cars at Le Sarthe

• Thread starter flyingkiwi
  • 14 comments
Hey guys,

If you read the race reports, you'll know that I have been trying the Le Sarthe 24 hours in a range of cars and I am having a lot of trouble from about the 8th hour of the race with the cars becoming unstable in a straight line and wanting to veer off the track.

This makes it almost impossible to complete, much less win the race.

The only car that I have managed to win the race with was the Mazda RX-7 Race Car.

All the other cars, including the Toyota 7 Race Car, the Mercedes GTR, and the BMW McLaren, have all become undrivable after about 10 hours or so.

Which car to use?

By the way, I have the Japanese version of the game, if that has anything to do with it.

Hey guys,

If you read the race reports, you'll know that I have been trying the Le Sarthe 24 hours in a range of cars and I am having a lot of trouble from about the 8th hour of the race with the cars becoming unstable in a straight line and wanting to veer off the track.

This makes it almost impossible to complete, much less win the race.

The only car that I have managed to win the race with was the Mazda RX-7 Race Car.

All the other cars, including the Toyota 7 Race Car, the Mercedes GTR, and the BMW McLaren, have all become undrivable after about 10 hours or so.

Which car to use?

By the way, I have the Japanese version of the game, if that has anything to do with it.

if you mean the glitch on Sarthe II where the cars start steering into the wall after some time, I found a topic on that yesterday. it's an old one, but it contained the specs for a Minolta Toyota and a strategy so it wouldn't glitch anymore. helped me win the race after years of trying

Ah, I see, thank you.

I should have said that I am doing this race in A-spec, haha.

So, the problem is not a glitch in B-spec, but rather the car's diminishing handling in a-spec once the chassis gets old and tired.

Can anyone help?

Ah, I see, thank you.

I should have said that I am doing this race in A-spec, haha.

So, the problem is not a glitch in B-spec, but rather the car's diminishing handling in a-spec once the chassis gets old and tired.

Can anyone help?

oh, i'm sorry for that :crazy:

anyway, maybe you could try to stiffen the dampers of the car, lower it some more to get rid of the body roll, reduce the spring rates... basically make the car stiffer to get rid of the weakening body. then again, I don't know if this will improve the speed of the car on La Sarthe's straights, seeing they're rather bumpy

The best way is , you take a car that has a worn chassis already and try to tune that out but don´t do a chassis refresh/stiffening/rigidity improvement or you have the same problem later again.

raVer

The best way is , you take a car that has a worn chassis already and try to tune that out but don´t do a chassis refresh/stiffening/rigidity improvement or you have the same problem later again.

raVer

Ok, cheers.

So, like odnomre said, the best way to tune it out is to stiffen everything and reduce the body roll?

Ok, cheers.

So, like odnomre said, the best way to tune it out is to stiffen everything and reduce the body roll?

What happens if you hit a bump with a stiff car?

I guess you lose contact to the road.

I would raise the ride height and soften the bound to absorb the bumps.

raVer

raVer

I agree if you have a very stiff car chances are it will diminish quicker as there is nothing to absorb the bumps make it as soft as you like i would say.

You see, the fact that the car gets unstable when the chassis gets past its use-by-date should mean that the car was too soft to begin? i.e. has a tendency to wander over the track??

Or is wandering over the track the result of the springs being too stiff?

raVer

Raising ride height is a traditional solution to wear-induced instability at the bumpy Sarthe venue. I recall starting some of these 24hr races with the chassis already worn to the point of needing chassis refresh so I knew going in what I was dealing with.

Other tricks to try are toe-in at all four corners, adequately high LSD, and softer tires.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Back