Upcoming VW Passat "Coupe"

• Thread starter Carl.
  • 13 comments
VW is planning to produce a 4 door "coupe" version of the Passat.

From dictionary.com:
cou·pé[FONT=verdana,sans-serif][/FONT]
n.
  1. A closed four-wheel carriage with two seats inside and one outside.
  2. also coupe (k
    oomacr.gif
    p) A closed two-door automobile.
Stop it. Please. Both of you.

Silly naming aside, why the hell didn't they produce the Passat like this in the first place? And do we really need the choice between the slightly boring Passat and the new good looking Passat? (both models will be availible)

bilde

bilde

Don't know if that will actually attrack any customer from Mercedes (I thought VW finally gave up on that one...), but it looks better than a CLS to me 👍

VW are stupid. They called volkswagen translated into peoples car. It isnt gonna be a people car no more when it undercuts audi but is still to expensive for the average man. Dumb marketing move I hope they fail miserably.

VW going upscale is indeed absurd, but the thing that really irritates me is that if every one of their models is going more upscale, the least they could do is to bring their "lower range" models to us in North America...

To me, the Polo would be the logical successor to what the Golf was. Heck, even the Lupo if you look at the first generation. Well, we might get the Polo, but as a... Dodge (10 bucks they'll manage to make it look like a friggin truck. :grumpy:)

bilde

To be technical about it, a Coupe just means a cut roofline.

Thats why BMW E30 2 Doors are still called Sedans, they have the high, box, sedan roofline, whereas say, a new 6 has a very traditional coupe roof, the CLS and this new Passat have the same effect, and while I think it is neat...

I'd hate to sit in the back, bouncing my head off the glass.

that front looks great. The rest of the car needs to go back to scheissland.

other 2-door sedans (in addition to 86-91 3-series): 90-93 accord. ford tempo.

this is just me brainstorming.

The Mercedes CLS looks way, way different compared to the E-class, thus it works – paying a premium for a drop-dead gorgeous car.

This coupe just looks like a Passat that got stuck in a taffy machine.

VW is doing weird things lately. First the Passat and Jetta jump up a class (with not fillers underneath), and now this.

And Doug, is your shift key borked?

The passat has jumped up a class kinda in relative to its sizing. Its now bigger than a audi A4. The jetta however is just a sedan version of the golf.

Poverty
The passat has jumped up a class kinda in relative to its sizing. Its now bigger than a audi A4. The jetta however is just a sedan version of the golf.

Yep, and here, only between Golf III and the Golf IV, the base Golf jumped a few thousand bucks alone. It used to be the same price as comparable Civic models (I was cross-shopping these in 1997). Now give use the Polo... :grumpy:

Considering that the idea worked so well on the CLS, I'm pretty sure VW will have enough success with this car both in the United States and Europe to make it a pretty popular model. I personally like the idea, but if there was ever a reason why they should have kept the W8 in production, this is it...

Poverty

when the first a4-based passat debuted in 1998, it was six inches longer than the a4. when the second one debuted in 2001, it was seven inches longer. and when the a4 was redesigned for 2002, the passat was still six inches longer.

the passat being bigger than the a4 is not only old news, it is not news at all. i repeat: it's made no jump in class.

YSSMAN
Considering that the idea worked so well on the CLS,

mercedes is already starting to see cls sales fizzle, noting that sales of cars purchased mainly for looks taper off after a few years because everyone who wants one has one. the e-class is lighter, more usable, and around eight grand cheaper. at the release of the cls mercedes execs went on record saying there would likely be only one generation.

another 2-door sedan: 90-93 nissan sentra.

Back