UPDATE: Final Fantasy Versus XIII NOT cancelled, says Square

United States
Texas
XizangM1
UPDATE: Square Enix's CEO has just debunked the recent rumors that FFXIII Versus has been cancelled. Thanks to Ddrizle for the new articles.
Square Enix boss confirms Final Fantasy Versus XIII still in production

The executive took to Twitter to describe the rumours as a hoax.

Wada said he attended a regular meeting on the RPG’s progress today, and that fans would be surprised to see how the game is shaping up; he specifically mentioned the city setting.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII was announced over six years ago as part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis sequence; an expected reveal earlier this year was unaccountably delayed. We may hear more on September 1. Credit: vg247

-------------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL POST:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/20/report-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-cancelled

IGN
Reports are surfacing that Final Fantasy Versus XIII, which has been in development since 2006, has been cancelled.

Kotaku is claiming that the planned PS3 exclusive has been canned quietly by Square Enix after it hasn't been seen in some time.

The company has allegedly made the decision to let the game fade away rather than officially announce its cancellation due to concerns over stock prices. There has been much speculation over the past year that the writing was on the wall after the title was conspicuously absent from conventions.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Oh dear. I hope the HD remaster of X doesn't go the same way. They've said and shown nothing of that since announcing it except confirming it's a remaster and not a remake.

I love Final Fantasy series, but they just need to put it down for awhile. If this is true, its a smart move considering XIII and XIII-2 were not as well received as past releases.

They should've left XIII PS3 exclusive so they didn't had to cut content out of the game, which is the reason why it kinda flopped. Not surprised vs. XIII got cancelled, a bummer though because it looked promising.

It might not be true though, maybe Versus could be the one good one to come out since XII released. Last i heard it was still going to be PS3 exclusive. But, Square also showed off a new engine for PC's and next gen consoles that looks pretty clean.

With the Final Fantasy Series 25th Anniversary coming this Sept., maybe we'll see if S/E will officially address this rumor before, after or at all.

If the rumor turns out to be true, I can only hope S/E learn from their past decisions in management & game development.

Maybe because they can't finish it before the PS4 arrives if the rumour is true.

They just want better GRAPHICS for their Final Fantasy games just to show off their CGI-rendered graphics.

Why not make one for the PC if they don't want to produce the game for the consoles?

Why can't they just focus on making a better story + gameplay for a Final Fantasy game instead of focusing on Graphics?

Last edited:
gtone339
They just want better GRAPHICS for their Final Fantasy games just to show off their CGI-rendered graphics.

I don't know why. if they really canceled the game. It can have various reasons. The new generation is not only about graphics and maybe they make XIII Versus for PS4 or needed the resources and staff for a Luminous Engine based Next Gen game.

They have to decide different things at the end of a console cycle.

gtone339
Why not make one for the PC if they don't want to produce the game for the consoles?

This is not possible because Square Enix have a contract with Sony. FFversusXIII is an exclusiv game.

gtone339
Why can't they just focus on making a better story + gameplay for a Final Fantasy game instead of focusing on Graphics?

Does better graphics mean inferior gameplay or story? I don't think so.

I'll wait for official word. I have learned in the past that sometimes Kohaku doesn't provide the best of news.

I think squarernix should go back to its roots of circa ff7 to 9 quick turn based fights gives you a chance to have some stragety in the big boss fights.

Wada said he attended a regular meeting on the RPG’s progress today, and that fans would be surprised to see how the game is shaping up; he specifically mentioned the city setting.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII was announced over six years ago as part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis sequence; an expected reveal earlier this year was unaccountably delayed. We may hear more on September 1. Credit: vg247

Ddrizle

What I thought. Kotaku is a troll page with rumours that are not reliable.

Back