Update vs Real Life M3 - track sounds, tires, performance, etc

  • Thread starter Thread starter cmpinberkeley
  • 3 comments
  • 1,007 views
Messages
180
Messages
GTP_DarthDrift
Hey guys. I have been enjoying playing the recent update with the sticky tires and all the other new stuff. I’ve also been reading all the posts (positive and negative) about:
- sound of the car you are driving and that of other cars
- sound of wind
- tire squeal
- tire performance

I am not a great racing driver in real life or in GT5P, but I consider myself above average in both. That does not make me any more credible in stating my opinion than anyone else out there, but I have driven my E46 M3 (previous model of M3) on the track and so I have some real comparison “data”. I can tell you that with my car’s stock tires (very sticky Michelin street tires that last maybe 10,000 spirited miles), it feels very much like S1 in GT5P. My car has the SMG (sequential manual gearbox) with the shift paddles behind the wheel and hydraulically actuated clutch and shifting, so the driving is very much like the GT5P experience. I have posted this video to share the sights and sounds of the experience (sorry that it is set up incorrectly to filter the wind, but in the slow turns you can hear my car AND the other cars as well as tire squeal). I think PD got it pretty close with the new update. By the way, I've driven R compound tires and the squeal less than street tires.

Note that while the video looks completely boring (aside from passing a few cool cars), I do have the DSC (dynamic stability control) turned ON to keep the idiot driver from wadding up the car. This includes traction control and dynamic braking/throttle to prevent sliding, which is probably comparable to standard physics in GT5P. I did a few laps with it off and it is a completely different experience, much like the way we all raved/complained about going from R3 to S2 tires during the last update. Hard on the gas while in a turn in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear means very happy tail in a snap, combined with a very annoying inherent understeer.

Anyway, for what it’s worth, I still think the R3 tires in GT5P are great as long as they will wear out faster than the less sticky tires. So please, PD, give us some longer races and some tire wear!! Then things like strategy, tire selection, driving style blah blah blah might come into play when later in the race the R3 tires are driving like S1s and the R1s are driving like S3s. Should be easy for PD to do, right? (just kidding, I am sure it’s hard enough)

Happy Driving!!

 
Back