Updates question regarding GT5 XL Edition...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kingofweasles
  • 9 comments
  • 1,105 views
Messages
1,420
United States
California
Messages
WeaselKing707
Messages
N/A
Is it possible to start up the game from an offline source, play it for about a week and then install all of the updates in one go? Or would doing something like that corrupt the game in some way? I ask because I do not have Internet access where I live (I'm currently typing this up on a smartphone), but would like to start playing ASAP...
 
As long as it doesn't say "internet connection required to play" you should be good. I started playing the game when the PSN was down and mine was fine.
 
I have been playing Version 1.00 since it was released, no updates, always offline, still going and enjoying what comes up in the game as I go along.
Eventually when (and if) they do release Spec III, or whatever they are going to call the final disc before they release GT6, is when I will then create another account for that and start all over again with the 'new' (to me) GT5.
After which I shall buy GT6 and start to enjoy that.
Or maybe I'll play them at different times on different consoles.

Bottomline? Yes - you can play strictly offline. But it's a whole different game. DLCs and the 'easy money' changes things around in the online version.
Play one, play both - your choice. ;)
 
I have been playing Version 1.00 since it was released, no updates, always offline, still going and enjoying what comes up in the game as I go along.
Eventually when (and if) they do release Spec III, or whatever they are going to call the final disc before they release GT6, is when I will then create another account for that and start all over again with the 'new' (to me) GT5.
After which I shall buy GT6 and start to enjoy that.
Or maybe I'll play them at different times on different consoles.

Bottomline? Yes - you can play strictly offline. But it's a whole different game. DLCs and the 'easy money' changes things around in the online version.
Play one, play both - your choice. ;)

Cool! I plan to get all of the updates within the next week or so; I'm not the type to leave a game unfinished when it comes to things like DLC (Unless it's a game where DLC is for purely cosmetic items/A used game that had it's DLC discontinued before I ever thought about playing it in the first place...).

Either way, to me this thread is done and ready to be locked by a moderator.
 
photonrider
I have been playing Version 1.00 since it was released, no updates, always offline, still going and enjoying what comes up in the game as I go along.
Eventually when (and if) they do release Spec III, or whatever they are going to call the final disc before they release GT6, is when I will then create another account for that and start all over again with the 'new' (to me) GT5.
After which I shall buy GT6 and start to enjoy that.
Or maybe I'll play them at different times on different consoles.

Bottomline? Yes - you can play strictly offline. But it's a whole different game. DLCs and the 'easy money' changes things around in the online version.
Play one, play both - your choice. ;)

Man, you're missing a lot, physics are vastly improved since v1.00. There's all kinds of new features too 👍.
 
Man, you're missing a lot, physics are vastly improved since v1.00. There's all kinds of new features too 👍.

I think the only thing I'll miss is the gradual spoon-feeding of DLC that improved the game bit-by-byte. Once I get the compleat GT5, I'll experience the whole thing as is.

If you mean I'm missing out on the goodies right now . . . hmmmm . . . you could be right, you know. :lol: I'm getting impatient!

Cheers. 👍
 
I think the only thing I'll miss is the gradual spoon-feeding of DLC that improved the game bit-by-byte. Once I get the compleat GT5, I'll experience the whole thing as is.

If you mean I'm missing out on the goodies right now . . . hmmmm . . . you could be right, you know. :lol: I'm getting impatient!

Cheers. 👍

You really are missing out on quite a bit. If you play offline you can't do the seasonals or any of that, and then you get all of the new cars and physics.
 
Is it possible to start up the game from an offline source, play it for about a week and then install all of the updates in one go? Or would doing something like that corrupt the game in some way?

No, this should be fine - you can play for as long as you want offline, then update and it will just add extra features for you etc. It won't corrupt your game save.

Uhh, if you have GT5 XL Edition are you starting with that, or do you have an older copy that you have a save from and using GT5 XL Edition to update to 2.08? If you're starting from the XL Edition, then you shouldn't need to go online at all, all the updates up to 2.08 are part of the install data on the disc.
 
iainoflo85
No, this should be fine - you can play for as long as you want offline, then update and it will just add extra features for you etc. It won't corrupt your game save.

Uhh, if you have GT5 XL Edition are you starting with that, or do you have an older copy that you have a save from and using GT5 XL Edition to update to 2.08? If you're starting from the XL Edition, then you shouldn't need to go online at all, all the updates up to 2.08 are part of the install data on the disc.

The XL edition goes up to 2.0, everything after that has needs to be downloaded, it's the Academy version that has up to 2.8 on the disc.
 
The XL edition goes up to 2.0, everything after that has needs to be downloaded, it's the Academy version that has up to 2.8 on the disc.

Oh, apologies - I thought they were the same thing, just named differently for different regions.
 
Back