Upgrading 15 year old Driving Force Pro

• Thread starter Mr_D
  • 6 comments
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Capt_Quarck
Hi there,

So I recently found my old Driving Force Pro steering wheel on the attic, which is approximately 15 years old..
I hooked it up to my old PS3 and it actually works like a charm. I haven't used a steering wheel for racing since the moment I stored it and I'm having loads of fun with Gran Turismo 6 right now.

However I would also like to use this wheel on the PS4 with GTSport, Assetto Corsa etc. I know it's possible with the Drivehub, but that's a 80$ investment. I'm also wondering how much the market has improved for steering wheels, so maybe it's better to pay a little more and just get a newer steering wheel instead.

I'm curious about your experiences, is it worth it to get for example a G29 to use on the PS3 and PS4? Is there a better option available? Or maybe it's not worth the money and I should just keep using the DFP instead because it works fine, also with the PS5 on the horizon?

Thanks!

I'm also wondering how much the market has improved for steering wheels,
A lot, but exactly how big the difference will be depends on the price of the wheel.
is it worth it to get for example a G29
G29 is almost the same as G27 which means outdated technology and the difference from your Driving Force Pro is small.
also with the PS5 on the horizon?
No one knows if the current steering wheels will be compatible with the PS5 therefore may be better to wait until this issue is clarified.

If the DFP works fine for you and you can deal with it for a few months until the PS5 comes out, I’d suggest waiting until the new system and wheels come out. I got my G27 back in 2013 and still use it now with the Drivehub (since 2017 when GTS came out). I’m definitely due for an upgrade since my wheel has a lot of miles on it and is just starting to show signs of wear, but I’ll wait until PS5. Just not worth it to buy a brand new wheel for hundreds of dollars only for it to not work on the new systems. Waiting will allow you to get both around the same time and you’ll be able to use your new wheel for the lifespan if the PS5.

Allright cheers. I think I'll just jet a Drivehub in the mean time. I dont have any reference material and Im enjoying the DFP for now.

Besides the G29, are there any worthwhile wheels for the PS4?

Allright cheers. I think I'll just jet a Drivehub in the mean time. I dont have any reference material and Im enjoying the DFP for now.

Depends on your budget. You can go as low as $100 right up to $2000.

Personally I agree with the advice to wait until the PS5 comes out before getting another wheel, but I would go further and not bother spending the 80 dollars on the Drive Hub - you might as well stick with the DFP and PS3 a bit longer.

In terms of wheels Thrustmaster's FFB range starts with the T150. There is loads of information available on the web and GTPlanet about different wheels, but as others have said - probably best to wait for now.

Enjoyment can vary from wheel to wheel, but speed won't vary much - some of the world's fastest racers used the DFGT. Your level of comfort and being able to set the wheel at exactly the right angle and position via a good stand or rig probably has more effect than the actual wheel used.

I still havent decided yet. I might get a Thrustmaster T300RS if I can find one reasonably priced 2nd hand. If it doesnt work with the PS5 I can allways sell it again, maybe I'll loose as much money as the drivehub will cost me..

Back